CDO scheduling doesn't update free/busy info

CDO scheduling doesn't update free/busy info

Post by Jeffrey A. Keyse » Fri, 08 May 1998 04:00:00

Here's a real off-the-wall problem.  I have been working on an
auto-accept script for our resources, and we've been running into a very
unusual problem.

Our configuration -
 - Exchange Server 5.5
 - Outlook 97 (8.03)
 - Several resource calendars, each with our auto-accept script on the
inbox
 - Each resource's calendar configured with "Reviewer" access to Default
 - All scheduling done by meeting requests

Our problem -
When our users attempt to view a meeting scheduled on a resource's
calendar, they get the error "Cannot open item.  Unable to read
free/busy time," or something like that.  When I, as an administrator,
then open that calendar, the users can then read its items.  Also,
before I open the calendar, none of the days with events appear bold to
the users.

My guess -
When meetings are accepted using the CDO objects, the free/busy time is
not being updated on Exchange.  Outlook required the free/busy time to
be up to date before viewing meeting items, and tries to update this
info for the resource.  Because the user only has "Reviewer" access to
the calendars, the free/busy info cannot be updated, and Outlook gives
an error.

So here's my question:  How can we work around this issue without giving
update access to the resource calendars?  I've tries to open all of
these calendars within Outlook under my (administrator) account, hoping
that it would keep the free/busy stuff up to date.  No luck.

If anyone can help me with this, I'll share our auto-accept script,
which is ten times more intelligent that Microsoft's, and can (mostly)
handle recurring meetings.  ;-)
--
Jeffrey A. Keyser
Old Guard Insurance

http://www.oldguard.com/

Professor: "...so the American government went to IBM to come up with a
data encryption standard and they came up with...?"

Student: "EBCDIC!"

- From the quote collections of Universities of Wisconsin and/or
Waterloo

1. Lost my Free/Busy database (Schedule+ Free and Busy public folder)

Hello,

While migrating my Exchange I didn't replicate the "Schedule+ Free and
Busy public folder".
Now my users can't see the free/busy info anymore and constantly get
annoyed with a pop-up message saying that the free/busy data is
unavailable.

Anyone knows how to rebuild this Schedule+ Free and Busy public
folder???

Sincerly,

David

2. RAS and Exchange on Same Machine

3. Outlook Scheduled busy time, doesn't show on other's calendar

4. NEWPROF ignores MailboxName= entry

5. Outlook Calendar Option to NOT update free/busy info on Server

6. Event ID 9318 every 10 mins

7. Unable To Update Free Busy Info On Exiting Outlook 2K

8. Move recipients between containers in 5.5?

9. Schedule+ Free/Busy Info

10. GAL and Schedule Free/Busy info not avialable

11. Unable to update free/busy schedule

12. Unable to update free/busy schedule Error (outlook 2000 error message)