Letting POP3 users who authenticate send email from outside the office

Letting POP3 users who authenticate send email from outside the office

Post by Hallvard Korsgaar » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:10:52

I want to let POP3 users who authenticate by sending credentials to the mail
server send email messages from outside the office, but I want to prevent
all other relaying. On my organization's SMTP virtual server, in the
Properties dialog box, I select the Only the list below and the Allow all
computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list
above check boxes. However, these selections don't accomplish what I want.
When I send an email message from an Outlook Express machine outside the
office, I get a 550 5.7.1 unable to relay for <addressee> error. However, if
I select the All except the list below check box, everything works smoothly.
Why doesn't my initial set of selections work?

--
Hallvard

Letting POP3 users who authenticate send email from outside the office

Post by Mark Fugat » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 08:28:37

Have you configured the client to Authenticate with the outgoing (SMTP)
server?

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

Quote:> I want to let POP3 users who authenticate by sending credentials to the
mail
> server send email messages from outside the office, but I want to prevent
> all other relaying. On my organization's SMTP virtual server, in the
> Properties dialog box, I select the Only the list below and the Allow all
> computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list
> above check boxes. However, these selections don't accomplish what I want.
> When I send an email message from an Outlook Express machine outside the
> office, I get a 550 5.7.1 unable to relay for <addressee> error. However,
if
> I select the All except the list below check box, everything works
smoothly.
> Why doesn't my initial set of selections work?

> --
> Hallvard

Letting POP3 users who authenticate send email from outside the office

Post by Magnus G?ransso » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 16:36:52

Do you have a Cisco Pix firewall?

> Have you configured the client to Authenticate with the outgoing (SMTP)
> server?

> --
> Mark Fugatt
> Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
> Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

> > I want to let POP3 users who authenticate by sending credentials to the
> mail
> > server send email messages from outside the office, but I want to
prevent
> > all other relaying. On my organization's SMTP virtual server, in the
> > Properties dialog box, I select the Only the list below and the Allow
all
> > computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the
list
> > above check boxes. However, these selections don't accomplish what I
want.
> > When I send an email message from an Outlook Express machine outside the
> > office, I get a 550 5.7.1 unable to relay for <addressee> error.
However,
> if
> > I select the All except the list below check box, everything works
> smoothly.
> > Why doesn't my initial set of selections work?

> > --
> > Hallvard

Letting POP3 users who authenticate send email from outside the office

Post by Hallvard Korsgaar » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 20:52:32

Yes. There is a Cisco Pix between the Exchange server and internet. The
firewall is only used for NAT in this case. One external IP is mapped to the
Exchange server internal IP. (No port translation)

--
Hallvard

> Do you have a Cisco Pix firewall?

> > Have you configured the client to Authenticate with the outgoing (SMTP)
> > server?

> > --
> > Mark Fugatt
> > Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> > www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
> > Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> > --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

> > > I want to let POP3 users who authenticate by sending credentials to
the
> > mail
> > > server send email messages from outside the office, but I want to
> prevent
> > > all other relaying. On my organization's SMTP virtual server, in the
> > > Properties dialog box, I select the Only the list below and the Allow
> all
> > > computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the
> list
> > > above check boxes. However, these selections don't accomplish what I
> want.
> > > When I send an email message from an Outlook Express machine outside
the
> > > office, I get a 550 5.7.1 unable to relay for <addressee> error.
> However,
> > if
> > > I select the All except the list below check box, everything works
> > smoothly.
> > > Why doesn't my initial set of selections work?

> > > --
> > > Hallvard

Letting POP3 users who authenticate send email from outside the office

Post by Hallvard Korsgaar » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 20:54:44

Yes

--
Hallvard

> Have you configured the client to Authenticate with the outgoing (SMTP)
> server?

> --
> Mark Fugatt
> Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
> Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

> > I want to let POP3 users who authenticate by sending credentials to the
> mail
> > server send email messages from outside the office, but I want to
prevent
> > all other relaying. On my organization's SMTP virtual server, in the
> > Properties dialog box, I select the Only the list below and the Allow
all
> > computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the
list
> > above check boxes. However, these selections don't accomplish what I
want.
> > When I send an email message from an Outlook Express machine outside the
> > office, I get a 550 5.7.1 unable to relay for <addressee> error.
However,
> if
> > I select the All except the list below check box, everything works
> smoothly.
> > Why doesn't my initial set of selections work?

> > --
> > Hallvard

Letting POP3 users who authenticate send email from outside the office

Post by Hallvard Korsgaar » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:44:25

It was the Cisco Pix that caused the problem. Q320027 solved the problem.

--
Hallvard