Exchange Newbie wanting advice

Exchange Newbie wanting advice

Post by Christine Rutte » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:17:12



Hi, I have managed to set up Exchange 2000 on a W2K server machine, and have
got public folders working - so for stage 1, I am happy.

My stage 2 is a little more complex, thus the purpose of this post.

I own a couple of domains, both of which are being hosted elsewhere. I can
get POP3 connection to them though my client, but Ideally would like for
them to come into my exchange server. The only downside is that 1: I don't
have a static IP address for my server, although I do use dynamic dns for
this, and 2:  I don't know how to do it.

Is there any patient person out there who may be able to help me sort out
these problems, if so either respond here or mail me.

Thanks is advance

Christine

 
 
 

Exchange Newbie wanting advice

Post by Mark Fugatt [MVP » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:22:10


Here are some articles that you might want to read, and they should be able
to get you started:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF002.html
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html

Hope this helps

--
Mark Fugatt
Exchange 2000 MVP
Pentech Office Solutions Inc
www.4mcts.com
Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

--- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

> Hi, I have managed to set up Exchange 2000 on a W2K server machine, and
have
> got public folders working - so for stage 1, I am happy.

> My stage 2 is a little more complex, thus the purpose of this post.

> I own a couple of domains, both of which are being hosted elsewhere. I can
> get POP3 connection to them though my client, but Ideally would like for
> them to come into my exchange server. The only downside is that 1: I don't
> have a static IP address for my server, although I do use dynamic dns for
> this, and 2:  I don't know how to do it.

> Is there any patient person out there who may be able to help me sort out
> these problems, if so either respond here or mail me.

> Thanks is advance

> Christine



 
 
 

Exchange Newbie wanting advice

Post by Christine Rutte » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:16:51


Thanks for those, they look exactly what I'm after. I'll let you know If I
succeed.

Christine



> Here are some articles that you might want to read, and they should be
able
> to get you started:
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF002.html
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html

> Hope this helps

> --
> Mark Fugatt
> Exchange 2000 MVP
> Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> www.4mcts.com
> Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---


> > Hi, I have managed to set up Exchange 2000 on a W2K server machine, and
> have
> > got public folders working - so for stage 1, I am happy.

> > My stage 2 is a little more complex, thus the purpose of this post.

> > I own a couple of domains, both of which are being hosted elsewhere. I
can
> > get POP3 connection to them though my client, but Ideally would like for
> > them to come into my exchange server. The only downside is that 1: I
don't
> > have a static IP address for my server, although I do use dynamic dns
for
> > this, and 2:  I don't know how to do it.

> > Is there any patient person out there who may be able to help me sort
out
> > these problems, if so either respond here or mail me.

> > Thanks is advance

> > Christine


 
 
 

Exchange Newbie wanting advice

Post by Christine Rutte » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:24:12


Ok - First problem, I user a dynamic dns service, but it doesn't give me my
domain name to the ip address, rather it gives me a ***.dyndns.org or
similar.

Currently my domain(s) is being hosted by the company from whom I bought it,
for free, and we retrieve the mail from POP, is there anything I can still
do?

Christine



> Here are some articles that you might want to read, and they should be
able
> to get you started:
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF002.html
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html

> Hope this helps

> --
> Mark Fugatt
> Exchange 2000 MVP
> Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> www.4mcts.com
> Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---


> > Hi, I have managed to set up Exchange 2000 on a W2K server machine, and
> have
> > got public folders working - so for stage 1, I am happy.

> > My stage 2 is a little more complex, thus the purpose of this post.

> > I own a couple of domains, both of which are being hosted elsewhere. I
can
> > get POP3 connection to them though my client, but Ideally would like for
> > them to come into my exchange server. The only downside is that 1: I
don't
> > have a static IP address for my server, although I do use dynamic dns
for
> > this, and 2:  I don't know how to do it.

> > Is there any patient person out there who may be able to help me sort
out
> > these problems, if so either respond here or mail me.

> > Thanks is advance

> > Christine


 
 
 

Exchange Newbie wanting advice

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:09:59


All you need to do is:

1. Set up the account with your dynamic DNS host. Yourcompany.dyndns.org or
something.
2. Install the update service on your server, so yourcompany.dyndns.org
always points to the right IP address
3. Have your ISP (or whomever hosts yourdomain.com's DNS) set your domain's
primary MX record to yourcompany.dyndns.org. It would also be nice if your
ISP were to act as your secondary MX record themselves, for store&forward
when your server's unavailable. See www.zoneedit.com if they won't do it.

Presuming that port 25 is open and forwarded to your NAT'd Exchange server
IP, and your recipient policy is set up properly, mail should just come
right on in.


> Ok - First problem, I user a dynamic dns service, but it doesn't give
> me my domain name to the ip address, rather it gives me a
> ***.dyndns.org or similar.

> Currently my domain(s) is being hosted by the company from whom I
> bought it, for free, and we retrieve the mail from POP, is there
> anything I can still do?

> Christine



>> Here are some articles that you might want to read, and they should
>> be able to get you started:
>> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF002.html
>> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html

>> Hope this helps

>> --
>> Mark Fugatt
>> Exchange 2000 MVP
>> Pentech Office Solutions Inc
>> www.4mcts.com
>> Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft
>> Exchange

>> --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---


>>> Hi, I have managed to set up Exchange 2000 on a W2K server machine,
>>> and have got public folders working - so for stage 1, I am happy.

>>> My stage 2 is a little more complex, thus the purpose of this post.

>>> I own a couple of domains, both of which are being hosted
>>> elsewhere. I can get POP3 connection to them though my client, but
>>> Ideally would like for them to come into my exchange server. The
>>> only downside is that 1: I don't have a static IP address for my
>>> server, although I do use dynamic dns for this, and 2:  I don't
>>> know how to do it.

>>> Is there any patient person out there who may be able to help me
>>> sort out these problems, if so either respond here or mail me.

>>> Thanks is advance

>>> Christine


 
 
 

1. Questions Concerning Moving Exchange Server-ADVICE/OPINIONS WANTED

We are about to upgrade the machine that our Exchange Server runs on.  In
other words we will be using the "Forklift" method.  Currently we are
running Exchange Server 5.0 (Enterprise) on NT4.0 SP3.  I want to move the
IS and DIR over to a machine with bigger and badder parts, raid 5 and all
that.  I have been pouring through all of the whitepapers, knowledge base
articles and books that I have in order to get ready for this (about 4 days
solid) and I still have a couple of questions:  (Rich Matheisen I would love
your insight on these.)

1)  Should I upgrade the old machine to Exchange 5.5 Enterprise and then
"forklift" it over to the new machine or should I "forklift" and then
upgrade the new machine to 5.5?

2)  Should I put NT 4.0 SP4 on before the upgrade or after?

3)  We really do not use Public Folders at all.  Should I tell the Optimizer
to make it a Private Server or should I just leave it a Multi-Server?

4)  If I make a Normal - Online Backup right before I take the server down
do I have to playback or copy over any of the Transaction Logs?  No one will
be in this weekend when I do this so no transactions will be taking place.

Feel free to responed to the group or email me at

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Masci
Premier Lending Corporation

2. Removing Newsgroups from Exchange 5.5

3. Questions Concerning Moving Exchange Server to New Machine-ADVICE/OPINIONS WANTED

4. Address Space from remote server

5. Exch2000 Group sharing of calendars

6. Please Help : Exchange Newbie wants to collect bounced messages

7. Diagnostic Logging for HTTP protocol (web interface)

8. newbie needs setup from scratch advice please!

9. Newbie needing lots of advice!

10. Newbie needs advice on setup from scratch!