A Stupid question

Post by Arthur Dale » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

This is probably a stupid question but....

I'm setting up Exchange 5.5 in a test enviroment on a NT4 server with NT4
workstation clients.  The installation appears to have worked fine, but my
problem is with the clients.

The clients connect to the mailbox, and retrieve the address books, but when
I attempt to send a message the message just sits in the Outbox.

Where do I go from here?

Cheers Arthur

A Stupid question

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>This is probably a stupid question but....

>I'm setting up Exchange 5.5 in a test enviroment on a NT4 server with NT4
>workstation clients.  The installation appears to have worked fine, but my
>problem is with the clients.

>The clients connect to the mailbox, and retrieve the address books, but when
>I attempt to send a message the message just sits in the Outbox.

>Where do I go from here?

That depends. Are you using a licensed copy of Exchange or one of the
demo versions? MS had a problem with the demo versions -- they stop
working after 8/31/98. There's a patch (somewhere) on
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange to correct this. Or, since this is
only a test, set the system clock back to sometime before 8/31/98.

A Stupid question

Post by Rainer Rosenberge » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Changing time only helps if it's done before installing the trial kit.
Better is to download the fix as described below:

Download the compressed setup file appropriate for the
server for your hardware platform. Select the
appropriate files as indicated by the following list:

  Alpha AXP(TM)  EVALSTRA.EXE
  Intel(R)  EVALSTRI.EXE

1.  Download appropriate file to a temporary location on the
servers local hard drive.
    Example: English version for the Intel platform will be located at :

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/exchange/exchange-public/Eval-Fix/EVAL...

2.  Unzip the file by typing the file name of the self-extracting archive
    at the command prompt.
    Example: The version for the Intel platform will be EVALSTRI.EXE.
3.  Stop the Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service.
4.  Go to the Exchange servers Bin directory Example: c:\exchsrvr\bin\.
5.  Rename the old file STORE.EXE to STORE.BAK.
6.  Copy the new STORE.EXE into the Exchange servers Bin directory.
7.  Restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service.

If you have the Exchange symbols installed, replace the STORE.DBG files
with the newer version in the <systemroot>\symbols directory.

Article ID:

Q193485: XADM: Exchange Server 5.5 120-Day Evaluation Copy Expiring

Arthur Daley schrieb in Nachricht

Quote:>This is probably a stupid question but....

>I'm setting up Exchange 5.5 in a test enviroment on a NT4 server with NT4
>workstation clients.  The installation appears to have worked fine, but my
>problem is with the clients.

>The clients connect to the mailbox, and retrieve the address books, but
when
>I attempt to send a message the message just sits in the Outbox.

>Where do I go from here?

>Cheers Arthur

A Stupid question

Post by Davi » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm not certain if I'm remembering correctly here or gettng my client
versions mixed up.

If the client is setup to view mail in a .pst file, but the deliver to on
the Services Tab is set to None, or Mailbox Username, you might run into
this problem. Or some variation of what I just described.

I think I had this problem with Exchange clients, Windows Messaging, and
Outlook 97.

David.

Quote:>This is probably a stupid question but....

>I'm setting up Exchange 5.5 in a test enviroment on a NT4 server with NT4
>workstation clients.  The installation appears to have worked fine, but my
>problem is with the clients.

>The clients connect to the mailbox, and retrieve the address books, but
when
>I attempt to send a message the message just sits in the Outbox.

>Where do I go from here?

>Cheers Arthur

1. Stupid Question....

exchange client is 16bit forms.

outlook client is 32 bit forms.

the two are *NOT* interchangeable.

--------------------------
The opinions expressed in this message are my own and do
not reflect the official views of NetiQ Corporation.

--------------------------
Dennis Brazil [MVP, MCP-Exchange]
Mgr, Technical Support

http://www.netiq.com
NetiQ Corporation
[Microsoft MVP]

2. old files in the mtadata directory

3. Implementing event sinks - Warning: stupid question :-)

4. mapisend

5. Newbe stupid question

6. Exchange - Change Site Name

7. Maybe stupid question but I'm an Exchange Server Layman

8. Managing Exchange 2000 with Windows XP

9. OK Stupid question of the day.

10. Stupid Question

11. Stupid question

12. Stupid Question