Please help; Moving public folders to new server

Please help; Moving public folders to new server

Post by Justin Fishe » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have 2 Exchange 5.5 servers in the same site. One of the servers is an old
Pentium 120 with 128mb of memory That is slowly dying, Iwould like to move
the public folders to the new server Pentium 600 with 384mb of memory. I
have not been able to find any documentation on how to move the folders.

Please help; Moving public folders to new server

Post by Dragonres » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have 2 Exchange 5.5 servers in the same site. One of the servers
>is an old Pentium 120 with 128mb of memory That is slowly dying,
>I would like to move the public folders to the new server Pentium
>600 with 384mb of memory. I have not been able to find any
>documentation on how to move the folders.

First, please don't cross post. It's really rude.

Second, if you can get both servers running in the same sight
at the same time, it's really easy.

Get both boxes up and running

In the Exchange Admin program, go to Site>Confiuration>Servers
Open up the new server
Highlight the new box and get its properties (Alt+Enter)
Go to the Instances tab and you should see all your Public Folders on
the left hand side
Start higlighting and clicking Add (double clicking works) until they're
all on the right hand side.

Let that cook for a while (a few hours at least, a day would be better)

Go to the old box, repeat the process, but move them from the right to
the left.

If you cannot, for some reason, have both boxes running at the same
time, be prepared for pain.

Get the properties for each folder
Write down who had what access rights (screen shots work wonders)
Open Outlook as a user with rights to each folder
File>Export the folder to a .PST file (and hope for no corruption)
When you kill the old box, Import the .PST files back and they'll go to
the new server.

BUT... there's a *LOT* more to consider when you're planning on removing
a server from your site then just the public folders. Be sure to read
the FAQ at Simpler Webb Inc...

It *will* save you headaches.

Cheers,

Keith

Please help; Moving public folders to new server

Post by Justin Fishe » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the help. Sorry about the cross post, my boss has been on my back
and I was hoping for a quicker response

Quote:> > I have 2 Exchange 5.5 servers in the same site. One of the servers
> >is an old Pentium 120 with 128mb of memory That is slowly dying,
> >I would like to move the public folders to the new server Pentium
> >600 with 384mb of memory. I have not been able to find any
> >documentation on how to move the folders.

> First, please don't cross post. It's really rude.

> Second, if you can get both servers running in the same sight
> at the same time, it's really easy.

> Get both boxes up and running

> In the Exchange Admin program, go to Site>Confiuration>Servers
> Open up the new server
> Highlight the new box and get its properties (Alt+Enter)
> Go to the Instances tab and you should see all your Public Folders on
> the left hand side
> Start higlighting and clicking Add (double clicking works) until they're
> all on the right hand side.

> Let that cook for a while (a few hours at least, a day would be better)

> Go to the old box, repeat the process, but move them from the right to
> the left.

> If you cannot, for some reason, have both boxes running at the same
> time, be prepared for pain.

> Get the properties for each folder
> Write down who had what access rights (screen shots work wonders)
> Open Outlook as a user with rights to each folder
> File>Export the folder to a .PST file (and hope for no corruption)
> When you kill the old box, Import the .PST files back and they'll go to
> the new server.

> BUT... there's a *LOT* more to consider when you're planning on removing
> a server from your site then just the public folders. Be sure to read
> the FAQ at Simpler Webb Inc...

> It *will* save you headaches.

> Cheers,

> Keith

1. Please help; Moving public folders to new server

I have 2 Exchange 5.5 servers in the same site. One of the servers is an old
Pentium 120 with 128mb of memory That is slowly dying, Iwould like to move
the public folders to the new server Pentium 600 with 384mb of memory. I
have not been able to find any documentation on how to move the folders.

2. Monitoring Exchange with WMI

3. Key Management Server in Exch 5.5

4. Reminder Alerts for Other Users

5. moving public folders to new server in new domain

6. need to move exchange2003

7. PLEASE HELP Moving database to a new server

8. Moving Exchange to a new organization and server - HELP Please

9. Last Step: Need to move public folders off first server to new one

10. Moving Public Folders to a new Exchange server in same Domain

11. move public folders to new Exchange server