E2K and Global Catalogs

Post by Kevi » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:42:28

I have a single forest with multiple child domains, each
child domain has a GC. I am now implementing E2K into the
infrastructure and I want to use Universal Groups for
security on public folders.  The child domains can not go
to native mode for application reasons, so I want to
create another child domain that is in native mode for
use with universal groups and drop domain global groups
from the child domains into the universal groups to keep
replication down. My question is the GC in the native
mode domain different than the other GC's in the mixed
mode domains? My understanding is a GC is a GC.

Kevin

E2K and Global Catalogs

Post by Cary Shult » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 02:48:33

Kevin,

A Global Catalog is a Global Catalog....However, I am not
all that familiar with multiple child domains so I can not
really speak to your ideas.  I would have to sit down
and "map it out"...

Cary

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have a single forest with multiple child domains, each
>child domain has a GC. I am now implementing E2K into the
>infrastructure and I want to use Universal Groups for
>security on public folders.  The child domains can not go
>to native mode for application reasons, so I want to
>create another child domain that is in native mode for
>use with universal groups and drop domain global groups
>from the child domains into the universal groups to keep
>replication down. My question is the GC in the native
>mode domain different than the other GC's in the mixed
>mode domains? My understanding is a GC is a GC.

>Kevin
>.

E2K and Global Catalogs

Post by Fredrik Landi » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:34:36

Quote:> The child domains can not go
> to native mode for application reasons

What applications and for what reason?
Switching to native mode only affect the domain controllers, ehum, are you
running applications on you DC? that to start with is a bad idea....
If it is for authentication reasons you can set the domain in Native Mode
and force NTLM authentication trough a policy on that domain.

/Fred
--

everything is under control

http://www.arenacenter.net/

"-Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?"

Quote:> I have a single forest with multiple child domains, each