GAL last name first

Post by Keit » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 05:29:27

Is there a setting in AD to make new users names show up
last name first in the GAL\OU instead of vice versa? I'm
currently having to rename and change the display name
manually on all new adds.

GAL last name first

Post by Tony » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 06:24:16

You need to use ADSIEDIT to change the default display name creation rule
MSKB Article Q250455 discribes it.  Here is the heart of the article:

Adsiedit Instructions
  1.. Run regsvr32 adsiedit.dll .
  2.. Start Microsoft Management Console (MMC), and then add the ADSI Edit
snap-in.
  3.. Right-click the top node, and then click Connect to .
  4.. Change the Naming Context to "Configuration Container," and then click
OK to bind and authenticate.
  5.. Expand the Configuration Container node, and then expand the
Configuration node.
  6.. Expand the cn=DisplaySpecifiers node, and then double-click CN=409 .

  NOTE : 409 is the Locale ID for U.S. English. If you are in a
multi-lingual environment, you may need to make changes to the other codes.
Most of the Asian codes are already set.
  The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and International
Organization for Standardization (ISO) define the code pages. Some
information can be found at:
    http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/bulletin/codes.html
  or at the ITU or ISO home pages:

    http://www.itu.int/home/index.html
    http://www.iso.ch/
  For additional information about supporting localized Exchange Clients,
click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:

    Q150977 XADM: Supporting Localized Exchange Clients
  g.. In the right-hand pane, open the properties for "CN=user-Display".
  h.. Scroll to the createDialog optional property.
  i.. Set the attribute to %< sn >, %< givenName >. Ensure that you click
the "Set" button.
  NOTE : You can use any LDAP attribute name that appears on the Creation
dialog box; the other obvious attribute is %<initials>.
  j.. Click OK to close the dialog box.
  k.. In Active Directory Users and Computers, create a new User; the Full
Name (and thus, the Display Name) are built in accordance with your rule.

Quote:> Is there a setting in AD to make new users names show up
> last name first in the GAL\OU instead of vice versa? I'm
> currently having to rename and change the display name
> manually on all new adds.

1. Global Address List Display -Last Name VS First name or First name Last name

I work for a company that has 2000 mail users. We are about to upgrade from
MsMail to Exchange 5.5. I would like some input on which way to setup the
Display name for the Global Address List:

Last name, First name(Doe, John)
or
First name Last name(John Doe)

Thanks for your help

2. aliasing users

3. GAL sort by last, first name, with from email from First Last

4. How do I create....

5. GAL and last, first / first-last

6. Block Bad Words

7. First name Last name in GAL

8. Services offered by Consulnet Corporation

9. Display GAL by last name, first name

10. Bulk GAL entry Creation from First and Last Name (NT4 and 5.5)

11. Changing GAL to display last name first

12. how can I change the GAL by last name first

13. First Last..Last, First...Both?