Event Service Not Firing Scripts

Post by Craig J. Hunte » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

okay consider the situation, I've got two Exchange 5.5 servers (no sp's). A
production and live environment. Both have the same services installed.

On my production server I can create PF's and create agents. Which run as
they should do. (I'm using the PFAlert script from CdoLive)

However, if I try the same thing on my live server, the event service
doesn't seem to fire the script.

On the live server, I've checked prms, and I have owner prms on the Event
Root_servername folder, and am a owner of the PF I'm trying to configure.
I've stopped and started the Event service, which in Event viewer gives a
message....."listening on PF dummyfolder". I've created the group that's
called in the script and can send mail to the group as expected.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the event service but still no joy.

Also, when I try checking the event services agent log I'm told no log
exixts, even though I've put copious amounts of debug statements.

Does anyone have any ideas why I might be getting this lack of
functionality.

thx

C.

Event Service Not Firing Scripts

Post by Steve Smit » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi Craig.

Two suggestions

There is a knowledge base article that tells you how to edit the registry
to get maximum event logging from the Event Service - this might provide
some clues.

Have you stopped and restarted the Information Store? The firing of events
seems to involve interaction between the IS and the Events Service.

Steve Smith
Province of BC

Quote:>okay consider the situation, I've got two Exchange 5.5 servers (no sp's). A
>production and live environment. Both have the same services installed.

>On my production server I can create PF's and create agents. Which run as
>they should do. (I'm using the PFAlert script from CdoLive)

>However, if I try the same thing on my live server, the event service
>doesn't seem to fire the script.

>On the live server, I've checked prms, and I have owner prms on the Event
>Root_servername folder, and am a owner of the PF I'm trying to configure.
>I've stopped and started the Event service, which in Event viewer gives a
>message....."listening on PF dummyfolder". I've created the group that's
>called in the script and can send mail to the group as expected.

>I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the event service but still no
joy.

>Also, when I try checking the event services agent log I'm told no log
>exixts, even though I've put copious amounts of debug statements.

>Does anyone have any ideas why I might be getting this lack of
>functionality.

>thx

>C.

Event Service Not Firing Scripts

Post by Rick Spiewa » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

What ID is the Event Service running under? Did you re-boot the server after
you set the
correct permissions?

Quote:>okay consider the situation, I've got two Exchange 5.5 servers (no sp's). A
>production and live environment. Both have the same services installed.

>On my production server I can create PF's and create agents. Which run as
>they should do. (I'm using the PFAlert script from CdoLive)

>However, if I try the same thing on my live server, the event service
>doesn't seem to fire the script.

>On the live server, I've checked prms, and I have owner prms on the Event
>Root_servername folder, and am a owner of the PF I'm trying to configure.
>I've stopped and started the Event service, which in Event viewer gives a
>message....."listening on PF dummyfolder". I've created the group that's
>called in the script and can send mail to the group as expected.

>I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the event service but still no
joy.

>Also, when I try checking the event services agent log I'm told no log
>exixts, even though I've put copious amounts of debug statements.

>Does anyone have any ideas why I might be getting this lack of
>functionality.

>thx

>C.

Event Service Not Firing Scripts

Post by Craig J. Hunte » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

thx for the suggestions guys, yes I did need to restart the services....now
it's all luvverly

C.

Quote:>okay consider the situation, I've got two Exchange 5.5 servers (no sp's). A
>production and live environment. Both have the same services installed.

>On my production server I can create PF's and create agents. Which run as
>they should do. (I'm using the PFAlert script from CdoLive)

>However, if I try the same thing on my live server, the event service
>doesn't seem to fire the script.

>On the live server, I've checked prms, and I have owner prms on the Event
>Root_servername folder, and am a owner of the PF I'm trying to configure.
>I've stopped and started the Event service, which in Event viewer gives a
>message....."listening on PF dummyfolder". I've created the group that's
>called in the script and can send mail to the group as expected.

>I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the event service but still no
joy.

>Also, when I try checking the event services agent log I'm told no log
>exixts, even though I've put copious amounts of debug statements.

>Does anyone have any ideas why I might be getting this lack of
>functionality.

>thx

>C.

1. Exchange Event Service isn't firing a script

I have installed a simple script on an Exchange inbox.    I have configured
this script to kick off on receipt of a email in a particular user's inbox.
The script simply kicks off a COM object and writes "Script started" to the
scripting log.

Today I had to rework the COM object, reinstall it and re-register it.  The
script never fired so I rebooted the Exchange Server.  The script still
didn't fire - however mail items were delivered successfully to the user's
inbox.

When an email is sent to this inbox, I see the following series of events in
the NT Event Viewer:

    "Received Notification from store, flags=0, folders =1"   (Source:
MSExchangeES  Type:Information, Cat: Gen.)
    "Start processing folder "\Inbox" for new events (same source, type,
cat.)
    "Start processing for agent "<agentname>" (same source, type, cat.)
    "An unexpected MAPI error occurred while processing binding "<agent
name>".
        Error returned was [0x800401f0]".  (Source:  MSExchangeES, Type:
Error, Cat:Gen.)
    "End processing for folder "\Inbox" (Source, Type, Cat same as previous)

I tried rebooting Exchange again and I still get the error.

On the server, we are running NT 4.0, SP4, Exchange 5.5, SP2, Outlook 98.
I am using CDO 1.21 for Windows NT,
version 5.5.2448.0.

Priscilla Davis

2. access to active directory

3. Script event not firing in public folder

4. Blocking Spam

5. Event Service not firing

6. Smtp Qu

7. which event-service events fire on a meeting_request ??

8. MONEY!!

9. Event script doesn't fire

10. OnTimer Event does not fire using Exchange Explorer

11. Folder_OnMessageCreate event not fired?

12. events not firing???

13. Send event in PostItem does not fire.