AD Groups confusing question

Post by Victor Mate » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 06:48:32

I have a root domain (where the sole E2K server resides)  and a child
domain.
In the child domain, there are a number of Distribution Groups whose members
are all user accounts from the root domain (this is because the child domain
is just a placeholder for these groups). The groups are used internally for
email and some to permission Exchange 2000 public folders. Each domain is
native, and has just one DC.
Question: Is there a way to remove the child domain and preserve these
groups, as well as their Exchange function,  if so how ?

P.S.
My apologies for posting in this many newsgroups, but I am confused if this
is an Exchange or AD question or both.
Any help highly appreciated !

Cheers !

Victor

AD Groups confusing question

Post by Danny Sander » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 06:54:26

Quote:> Question: Is there a way to remove the child domain and preserve these
> groups, as well as their Exchange function,  if so how ?

The only way to remove a child domain from it's parent requires you run
dcpromo to remove AD on all DCs in the child domain. This will of course
cause you to loose all user/domain info in the child domain.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

Quote:> I have a root domain (where the sole E2K server resides)  and a child
> domain.
> In the child domain, there are a number of Distribution Groups whose
members
> are all user accounts from the root domain (this is because the child
domain
> is just a placeholder for these groups). The groups are used internally
for
> email and some to permission Exchange 2000 public folders. Each domain is
> native, and has just one DC.
> Question: Is there a way to remove the child domain and preserve these
> groups, as well as their Exchange function,  if so how ?

> P.S.
> My apologies for posting in this many newsgroups, but I am confused if
this
> is an Exchange or AD question or both.
> Any help highly appreciated !

> Cheers !

> Victor

AD Groups confusing question

Post by Victor Mate » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 00:05:09

Is there a utility allowing to move or export the groups to the root domain
?
I have looked at movetree but can't quite figure it out.

> > Question: Is there a way to remove the child domain and preserve these
> > groups, as well as their Exchange function,  if so how ?

> The only way to remove a child domain from it's parent requires you run
> dcpromo to remove AD on all DCs in the child domain. This will of course
> cause you to loose all user/domain info in the child domain.

> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

> > I have a root domain (where the sole E2K server resides)  and a child
> > domain.
> > In the child domain, there are a number of Distribution Groups whose
> members
> > are all user accounts from the root domain (this is because the child
> domain
> > is just a placeholder for these groups). The groups are used internally
> for
> > email and some to permission Exchange 2000 public folders. Each domain
is
> > native, and has just one DC.
> > Question: Is there a way to remove the child domain and preserve these
> > groups, as well as their Exchange function,  if so how ?

> > P.S.
> > My apologies for posting in this many newsgroups, but I am confused if
> this
> > is an Exchange or AD question or both.
> > Any help highly appreciated !

> > Cheers !

> > Victor

1. AD Groups confusing question

I have a root domain (where the sole E2K server resides)  and a child
domain.
In the child domain, there are a number of Distribution Groups whose members
are all user accounts from the root domain (this is because the child domain
is just a placeholder for these groups). The groups are used internally for
email and some to permission Exchange 2000 public folders. Each domain is
native, and has just one DC.
Question: Is there a way to remove the child domain and preserve these
groups, as well as their Exchange function,  if so how ?

P.S.
My apologies for posting in this many newsgroups, but I am confused if this
is an Exchange or AD question or both.
Any help highly appreciated !

Cheers !

Victor

2. Moving from MS Mail to Exchange with a twist.

3. Exchange/DNS/W2K Question (confused)

4. can I host multiple domain mails on same ip?

5. Distribution List (group) question, Simple question I think

6. try to connect to Public Folders

7. AD groups, mailing list

8. Client operation failed

9. AD Exchange 5.5 and Distribution Groups

10. AD pointing to new storage group

11. Different Groups/OU's in AD to have different Mailbox limits

12. W2K AD sites and Exchange 2K Routing Groups

13. Do not move Exchange groups in AD