Unique Message ID (visible from client)

Post by Globa » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,

We have a request for a client to provide a solution using public folders
(one per department) which will provide them with a centralized message
store for e-mail, e-docs, fax and telex messages. Routing will probably be
added in a later phase of the implementation.

---
One of the requirements which we cannot meet with the "out-of-the-box"
functionality:
They require a unique message id per item in the public folders. These
message id's should also be visible from their Outlook98 client
workstations.

Our current train of thought is as follows:

Create a server-side script which will use the Folder_OnMessageCreated event
to trigger our script.
Use some form of algorithm to assign a unique message id
Store the id in a custom property
Create a new form to enable the Outlook98 client to display the message id.

Does this sound like a viable option?
Does exchange not maybe have this functionality already?
Has anyone ever done anything similar to this?
---
Another requirement is to provide them with departmental-level costing of
inbound and outbound messages.
Costing should (ideally) be split into cost-center, message size, message
type and direction (inbound/outbound)
I'm working with the assumption that the inbound should not present much of
a problem, but I am clueless as to
how one would intercept the outbound messages from a central point and log
the information required to perform the costing.
---

Any help, suggestions, source, scripts or criticism accepted and
appreciated...

Thanks in advance
Clayton J Andrews

Unique Message ID (visible from client)

Post by Rick Spiewa » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Each message already has a unique ID, at least within its infostore.
This is the Item.EntryID (Outlook object model) or Message.ID (CDO)
It is a long hexadecimal number rendered as a string.

>Hi All,

>We have a request for a client to provide a solution using public folders
>(one per department) which will provide them with a centralized message
>store for e-mail, e-docs, fax and telex messages. Routing will probably be
>added in a later phase of the implementation.

>---
>One of the requirements which we cannot meet with the "out-of-the-box"
>functionality:
>They require a unique message id per item in the public folders. These
>message id's should also be visible from their Outlook98 client
>workstations.

>Our current train of thought is as follows:

>Create a server-side script which will use the Folder_OnMessageCreated
event
>to trigger our script.
>Use some form of algorithm to assign a unique message id
>Store the id in a custom property
>Create a new form to enable the Outlook98 client to display the message id.

>Does this sound like a viable option?
>Does exchange not maybe have this functionality already?
>Has anyone ever done anything similar to this?
>---
>Another requirement is to provide them with departmental-level costing of
>inbound and outbound messages.
>Costing should (ideally) be split into cost-center, message size, message
>type and direction (inbound/outbound)
>I'm working with the assumption that the inbound should not present much of
>a problem, but I am clueless as to
>how one would intercept the outbound messages from a central point and log
>the information required to perform the costing.
>---

>Any help, suggestions, source, scripts or criticism accepted and
>appreciated...

>Thanks in advance
>Clayton J Andrews

1. Unique Message ID (visible from client)

[...]

2. Private Information Store

3. unique Message ID (Entry ID)

4. Appointments Notification

5. Exchange Server Mod (Unique Message ID)

6. Offtopic: Search in Technet.

7. Unique message IDs retrieved from POP3 (or any) mail server

8. OLE DB Provider for MAPI

9. Assigning unique auto reply message id

10. GUID(Globally Unique ID) of a message

11. Message-Id is not unique

12. Exchange Server Mod (Unique Message ID)

13. is there a UNIQUE ID for very item?