Importance of Global Catalog for Exchange 2000 Server?

Importance of Global Catalog for Exchange 2000 Server?

Post by Scot » Wed, 21 May 2003 03:29:14

I have a single domain configuration where there are 2
Windows 2000 Servers.  ServerA is an Active Directory
Domain Controller and holds all FSMO roles as well as the
Global Catalog.  ServerB is also a DC, which is running
Exchange2000.

If ServerA goes offline, will ServerB (exchange server) be
able to function in the absence of a Global Catalog
Server?  If the answer is no...then is there any downside
to also making ServerB a Global Catalog Server?

The goal is to make sure the Exchange server can function
independently (being the only server running).

Importance of Global Catalog for Exchange 2000 Server?

Post by Joel » Wed, 21 May 2003 03:54:30

Is this your ONLY Global Catalog server anywhere on the
network?
If it is, and it goes down, you're going to have worse
problems then Exchange not working. It may still allow you
to login (in a single domain configuration), but you're
going to have problems.
Yes, there is a downside to having Exchange run on a
Global Catalog server. Performance will suffer, but it can
be done... but not a 'best practice'.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have a single domain configuration where there are 2
>Windows 2000 Servers.  ServerA is an Active Directory
>Domain Controller and holds all FSMO roles as well as the
>Global Catalog.  ServerB is also a DC, which is running
>Exchange2000.

>If ServerA goes offline, will ServerB (exchange server)
be
>able to function in the absence of a Global Catalog
>Server?  If the answer is no...then is there any downside
>to also making ServerB a Global Catalog Server?

>The goal is to make sure the Exchange server can function
>independently (being the only server running).
>.

Importance of Global Catalog for Exchange 2000 Server?

Post by Scot » Wed, 21 May 2003 04:44:13

I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough...I'm not talking about
the other server permanently going down.  I'm talking
about for the several hours it would take to rebuild it
from backups or replace failed hardware.  Also we're
talking about 50-75 mailboxes/users, so is the performance
degredation still an issue?  This is a small network, so
when you say, "anywhere on the network", there are 2
servers total...one of which is currently a Global catalog
server...It sounds to me as though you are suggesting that
the benifits of having both servers be GC Servers would
probably outweigh the performance issue?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Is this your ONLY Global Catalog server anywhere on the
>network?
>If it is, and it goes down, you're going to have worse
>problems then Exchange not working. It may still allow
you
>to login (in a single domain configuration), but you're
>going to have problems.
>Yes, there is a downside to having Exchange run on a
>Global Catalog server. Performance will suffer, but it
can
>be done... but not a 'best practice'.

Post by Joel » Wed, 21 May 2003 05:17:28

In my opinion, it depends what your priorities are.
Do you believe that it's a higher priority that your users
be able to use mail in the event that the other server
goes down (Is this likely to happen? What if the Exchange
server is the one that goes down?), instead of having
better performing mail all the time?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough...I'm not talking
about
>the other server permanently going down.  I'm talking
>about for the several hours it would take to rebuild it
>from backups or replace failed hardware.  Also we're
>talking about 50-75 mailboxes/users, so is the
performance
>degredation still an issue?  This is a small network, so
>when you say, "anywhere on the network", there are 2
>servers total...one of which is currently a Global
catalog
>server...It sounds to me as though you are suggesting
that
>the benifits of having both servers be GC Servers would
>probably outweigh the performance issue?

Post by Bob Weine » Thu, 22 May 2003 23:01:01

What are the "worse problems" that will occur if the GC goes down?

I have a network of about 900 machines.  It is my intention to create a
single 2k domain with 2 ADs and a FE/2BE Exchange server arrangement.  I
haven't given much thought to duplicating the GC server but maybe I ought.

I realize that MS would have me create 3 domains with 2 AD's per domain and
probably cluster the Ex2k servers.  With my moderate network and even more
moderate budget however, I find that the 'best practices' are often
overkill.  I've been running a single 5.5 server in an NT domain for a year
and a half without incident.

bob

Quote:> Is this your ONLY Global Catalog server anywhere on the
> network?
> If it is, and it goes down, you're going to have worse
> problems then Exchange not working. It may still allow you
> to login (in a single domain configuration), but you're
> going to have problems.
> Yes, there is a downside to having Exchange run on a
> Global Catalog server. Performance will suffer, but it can
> be done... but not a 'best practice'.

1. Exchange 2000 and Global Catalog servers...

  Hi,

We are planning to start using Exchange 2000 in our company and I will be
involved in the project. I have few open questions:
- What do you think what is a big Exchange 2000 server (not a cluster) ?
- If you have a big (probably > 3000 users) server how often you reboot that
server or unmount the databases ?
- What kind SAN solution different companies are using and where are their
system disks ?
- Do you have any links for information for big/huge servers ?
- What kind limits you have seen ?
- How big servers are working and how about AD any comments for it ?

  sunshine !
 .-Pepi-.

2. Schedule+ 7.0 and Outlook 97 Calendars

3. Global Catalog Server and Exchange 2000 lost connection

4. Exchange 4.0 and LDAP support ???

5. Outlook can't resolve names in Global Catalog/Exchange 2000 Address lists after new install

6. Forwarding E-mail

7. Global Catalog <> Outlook 2000 behavior

8. Unable to receive mail

9. global catalog on exchange server

10. Exchange & Global Catalog Server

11. Global Catalog Server

12. Best Practices for multiple global catalog servers in multiples sites