Another NTBackup restore question

Post by Veet » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:48:39

Hello,
If I run a full ntbackup of the Information Store at 1:00 am & the backup
completes (successfully) at 3:00 am, what will happen if I loose a user's
mailbox (assuming Mailbox retention isn't being used, etc) at 8:00 am in the
morning? As far as I understand it, I will only be able to restore my
Information Store up to 3:00 am (when my backup completed). Is this correct,
OR, when the database(s) is being restored, does ntbackup commit the new
transaction logs that have been created since the backup, to the Information
Store? I hope this makes sense. Any clarification/suggestions are
appreciated. TIA
Regards,
Veets

Another NTBackup restore question

Post by Matt Richoux [MS » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 08:03:25

Yes, You can replay the logs since the backup.  However you don't want to
replay the logs that contain were the mailbox was deleted or it will be
deleted again.
You would want to do this on a recovery server.  If the mailbox was deleted
at 8:00am don't play any logs that were genereated at or just before 8:00am.

--
Matt Richoux
Exchange Support

Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

Quote:> Hello,
> If I run a full ntbackup of the Information Store at 1:00 am & the backup
> completes (successfully) at 3:00 am, what will happen if I loose a user's
> mailbox (assuming Mailbox retention isn't being used, etc) at 8:00 am in
the
> morning? As far as I understand it, I will only be able to restore my
> Information Store up to 3:00 am (when my backup completed). Is this
correct,
> OR, when the database(s) is being restored, does ntbackup commit the new
> transaction logs that have been created since the backup, to the
Information
> Store? I hope this makes sense. Any clarification/suggestions are
> appreciated. TIA
> Regards,
> Veets

Another NTBackup restore question

Post by dave » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:05:18

NTBackup will restore an exchange database *AND* will
apply all transaction logs so that nothing is lost.  If
you toast the server after a backup and cannot recover
the transaction logs created after the last backup, all
transactions after the last backup will be lost.  MS
whitepapers "Exchange Disaster Recovery Part 1" and Part
2 provide all the*details you need to be aware of to
restore successfully.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello,
>If I run a full ntbackup of the Information Store at

1:00 am & the backup
Quote:>completes (successfully) at 3:00 am, what will happen if
I loose a user's
>mailbox (assuming Mailbox retention isn't being used,

etc) at 8:00 am in the
Quote:>morning? As far as I understand it, I will only be able
to restore my
>Information Store up to 3:00 am (when my backup

completed). Is this correct,
Quote:>OR, when the database(s) is being restored, does

ntbackup commit the new
Quote:>transaction logs that have been created since the

backup, to the Information
Quote:>Store? I hope this makes sense. Any

clarification/suggestions are
Quote:>appreciated. TIA
>Regards,
>Veets

>.

Another NTBackup restore question

Post by Veet » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 02:26:26

Thanks for the replying guys. One thing though Matt, I'm not sure what you
mean by the following:
"However you don't want to
replay the logs that contain were the mailbox was deleted or it will be
deleted again."
Regards,
Veets

Quote:> NTBackup will restore an exchange database *AND* will