Different SMTP outbound paths

Post by Jo » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 02:50:29

Is it possible to send SMTP outbound mail on two different paths.  For
example you have a user that has two email addresses on your exchange
server from the following domains - domain1.com and domain2.com and
you want mail that is to any address other than domain2.com to exit
your facility through your internet connection.  Domain2.com mail
should be forwarded through your wan link to another mail sever.

Is this possible?
Thanks
dl

Different SMTP outbound paths

Post by Ron Stewar » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 04:44:44

Yeah--just set up two SMTP connectors with appropriate namespaces.

--
Ron Stewart
B.Ed., MCSE+I, MCT

Quote:> Is it possible to send SMTP outbound mail on two different paths.  For
> example you have a user that has two email addresses on your exchange
> server from the following domains - domain1.com and domain2.com and
> you want mail that is to any address other than domain2.com to exit
> your facility through your internet connection.  Domain2.com mail
> should be forwarded through your wan link to another mail sever.

> Is this possible?
> Thanks
> dl

Different SMTP outbound paths

Post by Reverend Bra » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:58:23

You sure about that, Ron??

I went through something similar a few months ago...  there's no way
to bind a connector to a specific interface.  Outbound routing is
completely subject to the network configuration of the server itself,
i.e. default gateways, RIP, etc.

I'd love to be proven wrong!  If you can show us some details of
exactly how you would accomplish this, feel free...

Rev. Brad

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:44:44 -0500, "Ron Stewart"

>Yeah--just set up two SMTP connectors with appropriate namespaces.

>--
>Ron Stewart
>B.Ed., MCSE+I, MCT
>Senior Instructor/Consultant
>triOS Training Centres
>Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
>(905) 542-7678

Different SMTP outbound paths

Post by Neil Hobso » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 18:21:01

I'd agree with Ron.

The first SMTP Connector will have an address space of *
and will either forward to your upstream SMTP host or use
DNS to send the message.

The second SMTP Connector will have an address space of
domain2.com and will forward all messages to a different
SMTP host.

Neil Hobson

Silversands
http://www.silversands.co.uk
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
For Enterprise Systems
For Collaborative Solutions

Post by Brad Berso » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 05:55:26

On re-reading the whole thing I believe you and Ron are correct.  You
guys just burst my high-falootin' bubble!

I didn't notice that the requirements were to route one domain to a
specific mail host.

Sorry!

Rev. Brad

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 01:21:01 -0800, "Neil Hobson"