Web access forbidden

Post by Robert Schol » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

If the web and Exchange server are not the same machine you must set all
exchange users to "allow to log on localy" on the web server in the user
manager.

> According to documentation that I ran across in Exchange 5.0 reviewers
> guide (I think) you MUST go to >User Manager on Exchange server systems,
> >Policicies, >User rights and grant >Log on locally to >Everyone group.

> This works for me...... Haven't the slightest idea what if any impact on
> security....

> Hope it works......

> > I had the same problem here is how I solved it.

> > IIS Manager under WWW root. Anonymous Access and Win NT
> Challenge/Response
> > Enabled
> > Use control panel services to start and stop WWW publisher, the
Internet
> > Service manager doesn't always do it right.

> > In the Exchange Admin tool ensure the following under the protocols
> section
> > is set.

> > HTTP: Enabled and everything is "on"
> > LDAP:Everything is "on" including anonymous access.

> > Mine did not work for a month until I figured this out. You must have
> > Basic/Clear Text on IIS for WWW disabled (unchecked)

> > If using I.E. 3.02 make sure you have Authneticode Patch or Netscape
and
> > have the authentication proxy from http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload.

> > I, too am having the same problem. I found a 'white paper' on the MS
> site,
> > 8 pages, but only a paragraph dedicated to 'webmail'.  Does anyone have
> the
> > correct procedures for setting up webmail services on Exchange
> 5.0????????

> > Thanks

> > Bruce

> > > I installed ASP components from Exchange 5.0 CD, but when I'm tring
> > > access the web service from IE 3.02 , I recieved a message "Access
> > > Forbidden"

> > > any help please

> > > Ehab

Web access forbidden

Post by Colene J. Alle » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

 <<chuckling>>

Hello Jeff,

Stirring up hate and discontent as usual? <VBG>

--
Regards,

Colene Allen
Windows 95 Forum Contributor ( MSN )
Windows NT Forum BBS Assistant ( MSN )

Tag Line:  Unarmed, Dangerous and off my medication!! <G>

Jeff Lomax wrote in article ...

> I have my IIS 3 and MSX 5.0 SP1 on the same machine (also our BDC), and I
>STILL had to grant log-on-locally.  Got any other reason why?

>Jeff

>>If the web and Exchange server are not the same machine you must set all
>>exchange users to "allow to log on localy" on the web server in the user
>>manager.

>>> According to documentation that I ran across in Exchange 5.0 reviewers
>>> guide (I think) you MUST go to >User Manager on Exchange server systems,

>>> This works for me...... Haven't the slightest idea what if any impact on
>>> security....

>>> Hope it works......

>>> Challenge/Response
>>Internet

>>> section

>>and

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload.

>>> site,
>>> the
>>> 5.0????????

Web access forbidden

Post by Jeff Loma » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

 To: GREG ASKEW:

Yes, our Web Connect works, but my E-Mail to you failed to send and I lost
your address.

Greg,

Sorry if I came in at the end of thisyes, our Web Enabled E-Mail works
just fine (after a few false starts), but I did have to grant our Domain
Users the "log on locally" priv, just like I had to do so they could drop
files in our FTP site. Im just a humble programmer and Ive never
understood this "log on locally" privI was hoping one of you could explain
why I need it.

Anyhow, this is how I finally got the Web Connector working:

1.. Install ASP.EXE on NTS 4.0, (from microsoft.com/iis I think)
    2.. Re-Run the MXS 5.0 setup and check the bottom option, for Active
Server Pages. (I took them all)
    3.. Install or Reinstall NT 4.0 SP3 to update your IIS ASP
    4.. Run IISs admin program, turn on Allow Anon and Basic, turn off NT
Challenge/Resp
    5.. Restart your IIS & MSX servers (they are the same one for me)
    6.. Point a current web-browser to
http:\\exchangeservermachinename.domain.com/exchange (should be in DNS)
    7.. Get your mail.
    8.. For remote config,use
http:\\exchangeservermachinename.domain.com/iisadmin
    Lastly, I downloaded the 5.1 update and put it onit has a much nicer
web connect with a logoff button!

Im having problems with the WinCE addon from the app farmif you know
anything about it

Feel free to E-Mail any question, Ill help if I can. If you are a MSN
member, come to Windows NT Chat Tue 7:30-9:30 PM PST or Thurs 5:30-7:30 PM
PST (Room: #WindowsNT_Chat) and have some real experts talk you thru it.
(Not affiliated with MSso they can tell all)

Jeff

Colene J. Allen wrote in article ...

> [...]

>> > Service manager doesn't always do it right.

>> > In the Exchange Admin tool ensure the following under the protocols
>> section
>> > is set.

>> > HTTP: Enabled and everything is "on"
>> > LDAP:Everything is "on" including anonymous access.

>> > Mine did not work for a month until I figured this out. You must have
>> > Basic/Clear Text on IIS for WWW disabled (unchecked)

>> > If using I.E. 3.02 make sure you have Authneticode Patch or Netscape
>and
>> > have the authentication proxy from http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload.

>> > I, too am having the same problem. I found a 'white paper' on the MS
>> site,
>> > 8 pages, but only a paragraph dedicated to 'webmail'.  Does anyone have
>> the
>> > correct procedures for setting up webmail services on Exchange

1. Web access forbidden

I think there is also an other problem with IE3.0x

Netscape wortks but IE only , if you are running the program from a
computer in the same domain and logged in wiht out username.
I hace seen, that IE tried to authenticate yourself with the
NTLM-Informations of your workstation.
And that is not always correct. Netscape opens a dialog box to ask the
username and password.
IE does not. i have no idea how to force IE to ask me instead of sending
the local security information

2. Exchange 5.5 Message Format - MDBEF or X.400 ?

3. permission to the mailbox

4. mapisend utility

5. How we resolved the duplicate E-mails in the Outlook in-box.