Moving to new forest

Post by Samuel Swee » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:54:31

Hi all, Hope I posted this in the right NG.

We have purchased all new hardware and have created a new forest and new
domain.
I need to transfer over our AD and our ex2k to the new forest and new domain
and then decomission our current servers and forest.

How can I do this as painless as possible?

The current forest does not yet have ex2k installed, nor does it have any
user accounts or anything. Its just brand spankin new.

Thanks in advance.

Moving to new forest

Post by Gary Coope » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:13:40

Does the old forest have anything in it?  If not, what is there to transfer?

Quote:> Hi all, Hope I posted this in the right NG.

> We have purchased all new hardware and have created a new forest and new
> domain.
> I need to transfer over our AD and our ex2k to the new forest and new
domain
> and then decomission our current servers and forest.

> How can I do this as painless as possible?

> The current forest does not yet have ex2k installed, nor does it have any
> user accounts or anything. Its just brand spankin new.

> Thanks in advance.

Moving to new forest

Post by Samuel Swee » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:12:44

The old forest contains our current AD and ex2k.

The old forest is actually our current hardware and current domain.
The new forest is hardware we have just purchased and setup as a new forest.

The goal is to move all old into new

TIA

Samuel

> Does the old forest have anything in it?  If not, what is there to
transfer?

> > Hi all, Hope I posted this in the right NG.

> > We have purchased all new hardware and have created a new forest and new
> > domain.
> > I need to transfer over our AD and our ex2k to the new forest and new
> domain
> > and then decomission our current servers and forest.

> > How can I do this as painless as possible?

> > The current forest does not yet have ex2k installed, nor does it have
any
> > user accounts or anything. Its just brand spankin new.

> > Thanks in advance.

Moving to new forest

Post by RPar » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:11:19

Samuel

Three tools I'd recommend to help you here :

1. ADMT - This will help to migrate a/cs from one forest to another.
2. Exchange Migration Wizard - Help you migrate from one Exch Org to another
3. EXmerge - For any mailbox issues.

Couple of things though :

1. Beware of SIDHistory issues to migrated accounts
2. To use the Exch Migration Wizard, make sure you're on SP3 for E2K
3. Make sure machine accounts are updated for new forest (kerberos ticket
issues)
4. Make sure you update any MX and A records for your new Exchange Server
(unless it's going to have the same IP Address)

HTH

R Parm

Moving to new forest

Post by Gary Coope » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 03:23:53

Sounds like a job for a third party tool from the likes of Quest, NetIQ, or
Aelita.

> The old forest contains our current AD and ex2k.

> The old forest is actually our current hardware and current domain.
> The new forest is hardware we have just purchased and setup as a new
forest.

> The goal is to move all old into new

> TIA

> Samuel

> > Does the old forest have anything in it?  If not, what is there to
> transfer?

> > > Hi all, Hope I posted this in the right NG.

> > > We have purchased all new hardware and have created a new forest and
new
> > > domain.
> > > I need to transfer over our AD and our ex2k to the new forest and new
> > domain
> > > and then decomission our current servers and forest.

> > > How can I do this as painless as possible?

> > > The current forest does not yet have ex2k installed, nor does it have
> any
> > > user accounts or anything. Its just brand spankin new.

> > > Thanks in advance.

Moving to new forest

Post by Samuel Swee » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 06:32:20

Thanks all,

Decided to bring in a consultant for the task just so nothing gets screwed
up. Upgrading to win2k and ex2k was freaky enough : )

I looked at the 3rd part tools mentioned but had difficulty discerning which
ones to look at in more depth as they didnt jump up and down claiming to
migrate between domains.
If you have a second, I would appreciate knowing the companies specific
products that could assist in this.

Cheers

Samuel

> Does the old forest have anything in it?  If not, what is there to
transfer?

> > Hi all, Hope I posted this in the right NG.

> > We have purchased all new hardware and have created a new forest and new
> > domain.
> > I need to transfer over our AD and our ex2k to the new forest and new
> domain
> > and then decomission our current servers and forest.

> > How can I do this as painless as possible?

> > The current forest does not yet have ex2k installed, nor does it have
any
> > user accounts or anything. Its just brand spankin new.

> > Thanks in advance.

Moving to new forest

NetIQ has one, Quest has DM Migrator, and there are others.