what about Exchange Server 2000

Post by Hà DO PHA » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello All

I am aware Exchange server only is available as RC1

does someone know if it works well?
are there know bugs?
are those bugs very important  ?

is it recommended to use it now ?

I have set up a new Win2000 Server as replacement of existing WinNT4 /
Exchange 5.5 server

I wish to know

1) if it is worth installing Exchange 2000 RC1 (if there are no problems
with it) and upgrading it later on to final release of Exchange 2000 server
?

2) or if it is better to re-use Exchange 5.5 and upgrade to Final release of
Exchange 2000 later on (if possible) ?

what about Exchange Server 2000

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello All

Hiya H DO PHAN

Quote:> I am aware Exchange server only is available as RC1

True True

Quote:> does someone know if it works well?

It works

Quote:> are there know bugs?

Thousands

Quote:> are those bugs very important  ?

It depends who you ask

Quote:> is it recommended to use it now ?

No it beta software... Remember?  It is recommended to test now.

Quote:> I have set up a new Win2000 Server as replacement of existing WinNT4 /
> Exchange 5.5 server

Well that is a good start.

Quote:> 1) if it is worth installing Exchange 2000 RC1 (if there are no problems
> with it) and upgrading it later on to final release of Exchange 2000
server
> 2) or if it is better to re-use Exchange 5.5 and upgrade to Final release
of
> Exchange 2000 later on (if possible) ?

Seriously......  There are numerous active newsgroups on both Exchange 2000
and Windows 2000.  This newsgroup is focused on Exchange 5.5 and previous
versions.  You will find everything you need to know in those groups.  If
your news provider does not carry the groups, use Microsoft's news server.
It is msnews.microsoft.com

--
Michael Abbaticchio
Exchange Administrator

what about Exchange Server 2000

Post by Jerem » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Remember that it is Beta... There is NO support from Microsoft PSS for use
in production unless you are a Early Adopter.

Setup Windows2000 and Exchange 2000 in a test enviornment. Understand the
upgrade process then Setup your  5.5 enviornment with the upgrade to
Exchange2000 in mind for the future.

-Jeremy

> > Hello All
> Hiya H DO PHAN

> > I am aware Exchange server only is available as RC1
> True True

> > does someone know if it works well?
> It works

> > are there know bugs?
> Thousands

> > are those bugs very important  ?
> It depends who you ask

> > is it recommended to use it now ?
> No it beta software... Remember?  It is recommended to test now.

> > I have set up a new Win2000 Server as replacement of existing WinNT4 /
> > Exchange 5.5 server
> Well that is a good start.

> > 1) if it is worth installing Exchange 2000 RC1 (if there are no problems
> > with it) and upgrading it later on to final release of Exchange 2000
> server
> > 2) or if it is better to re-use Exchange 5.5 and upgrade to Final
release
> of
> > Exchange 2000 later on (if possible) ?
> Seriously......  There are numerous active newsgroups on both Exchange
2000
> and Windows 2000.  This newsgroup is focused on Exchange 5.5 and previous
> versions.  You will find everything you need to know in those groups.  If
> your news provider does not carry the groups, use Microsoft's news server.
> It is msnews.microsoft.com

> --
> Michael Abbaticchio
> Exchange Administrator
> BHG

what about Exchange Server 2000

Post by Chris Scharf » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>Setup Windows2000 and Exchange 2000 in a test enviornment. Understand the
>upgrade process then Setup your  5.5 enviornment with the upgrade to
>Exchange2000 in mind for the future.

Use Exchange 2000 beta in your production environment, hose up your
schema, be very sad.

--
Chris Scharff, MVP-Exchange
Senior Systems Consultant

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

what about Exchange Server 2000

Post by Lee the M » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using Exchange2000 in production yet.  I
have been using it in our lab for over a year now and I still run into
blocking issues.  But even if you still wanted to do it, the biggest problem
would be upgrading from a BETA version of Exchange2000 to the release
version.  Microsoft strongly recommends against this, and for good reason.
Exchange2000 alters the Active Directory schema, and those changes differ
from build to build.  So when you try to upgrade a BETA version, you can
very easily leave legacy schema changes....that is bad.

Quote:> Hello All