A challenge for the real techno guru

Post by Don » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 07:41:21

How can clients, from within Outlook, view, add and edit "shared" outside
contacts within Exchange.  There must be a way that does not involve the
admin having to enter each new contact into AD.  Please, please tell me
there is!!!

I'm looking to have all clients be able to share a contact list and be able
to select those contacts when sending email by going to the "TO" button
where you would see other internal staff.

As of now, if clients try to add a contact in a folder it says "you cannot
create entries for this address book".

Any guru that has found out a way... please share with myself and other
reading this.

Thank you

DH

Post by Bryan Nyc » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 07:57:17

> How can clients, from within Outlook, view, add and edit "shared"
> outside contacts within Exchange.  There must be a way that does not
> involve the admin having to enter each new contact into AD.  Please,
> please tell me there is!!!

> I'm looking to have all clients be able to share a contact list and
> be able to select those contacts when sending email by going to the
> "TO" button where you would see other internal staff.

> As of now, if clients try to add a contact in a folder it says "you
> cannot create entries for this address book".

> Any guru that has found out a way... please share with myself and
> other reading this.

> Thank you

> DH

How about using a public folder to house the contacts, and display the
public folder as an address book? Check the properties of the public folder.

Bryan Nyce

A challenge for the real techno guru

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 07:48:10

Quote:>How can clients, from within Outlook, view, add and edit "shared" outside
>contacts within Exchange.  There must be a way that does not involve the
>admin having to enter each new contact into AD.  Please, please tell me
>there is!!!

Create a public folder containing contact items and have users add
that folder as an Outlook address book.

--
Chris Scharff MVP-Exchange, MCSE
The Mail Resource Center

A challenge for the real techno guru

Post by Don » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:33:49

THATS IT!!! I had that dang folder created but could not figure out why
everyone else could not see it, even though I could and even though I had
that box checked... did not realize each client had to then check the
display option as well.

Thank you all so much, made my day :-)  made my CEO one happy person as
well!

DH

> > How can clients, from within Outlook, view, add and edit "shared"
> > outside contacts within Exchange.  There must be a way that does not
> > involve the admin having to enter each new contact into AD.  Please,
> > please tell me there is!!!

> > I'm looking to have all clients be able to share a contact list and
> > be able to select those contacts when sending email by going to the
> > "TO" button where you would see other internal staff.

> > As of now, if clients try to add a contact in a folder it says "you
> > cannot create entries for this address book".

> > Any guru that has found out a way... please share with myself and
> > other reading this.

> > Thank you

> > DH

> How about using a public folder to house the contacts, and display the
> public folder as an address book? Check the properties of the public
folder.

> Bryan Nyce

A challenge for the real techno guru

Post by chris marti » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 20:41:48

The way that we deal with external contacts that we don't want in AD is to
create a Public Folder in the "Contact" format and allow it to be viewed in
Outlook (when you create a Public Folder it will ask the format of the
folder).  Then certain people are set up as authors and are responsible for
adding new contacts.  When users send an email they click the "To:" box and
select the contact folder and the email address just as they would if they
were sending to someone in the GAL.

After you create the contact folder right click it and on the "Outlook
Address Book" tab there is a box to show the folder as an address book.
Hope this helps

Quote:> How can clients, from within Outlook, view, add and edit "shared" outside
> contacts within Exchange.  There must be a way that does not involve the
> admin having to enter each new contact into AD.  Please, please tell me
> there is!!!

> I'm looking to have all clients be able to share a contact list and be
able
> to select those contacts when sending email by going to the "TO" button
> where you would see other internal staff.

> As of now, if clients try to add a contact in a folder it says "you cannot
> create entries for this address book".

> Any guru that has found out a way... please share with myself and other
> reading this.

> Thank you

> DH

1. A challenge for the real techno guru

How can clients, from within Outlook, view, add and edit "shared" outside
contacts within Exchange.  There must be a way that does not involve the
admin having to enter each new contact into AD.  Please, please tell me
there is!!!

I'm looking to have all clients be able to share a contact list and be able
to select those contacts when sending email by going to the "TO" button
where you would see other internal staff.

As of now, if clients try to add a contact in a folder it says "you cannot
create entries for this address book".

Any guru that has found out a way... please share with myself and other
reading this.

Thank you

DH

2. Newbie - How Do I Remove a User

3. Hidden Recioients Problem

4. Exchange 5.0 - Anti Spamming

5. GURU CHALLENGE - Exchange IS

6. Block certain domains

7. A real challenge?? Exchange/Distribution lists

8. I need help from a Real Guru - (No One Can figure this out)

9. Real tough prob for Gurus only

10. A Challenge...!

11. ------ > Very Challenging Questions <------