Mail Forwarding in E2K

Post by Guy Hockin » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:42:42

Hello,

I am running an E2k sbs Mail Server.

I wish to implement a mail forwarding system to cover users who are sick or
on holiday.
It is a small organisation which has around 40-50 users. It is a legal firm
and any absences or sickness can cause problems when it comes to mailboxes
with important emails in, not being read by the right people or at all.

Ideal Scenario:
In an ideal world, to have a button in the users "Outlook" MAPI clients to
press for when they are away IE - "Away". When pressed all emails to the
address of that mailbox are forwarded to another specified address/user, and
an Autoreply sent to the sender stating that the mail has been read by
another user.

Obviously i realise this is a very "specific" solution and there is probably
nothing like this out there. I have GFI Mail Essentials and Mail Security,
so that takes care of the Auto Replies - but to integrate this automatically
would be better (less work for me, as i am not always on-site, which could
cause probs).
I was wondering if i am missing any mail forwarding function in Exchange
that can be activated by the users themselves through Outlook, or if not
possible, for me to setup mail forwarding as described above in Exchange SM?

Alternatevely, if anybody knows of ANY relatively good, 3rd party
client/server side software that can do this for Exchange2k please give me
details.
This must be a common issue, it seems such a simple idea/task.

Thanks much in advance

--
Guy Hocking
BradFlack.com

Mail Forwarding in E2K

Post by Guy Hockin » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:26:07

Hello again,

I realise this can be done in Outlook for individual MAPI clients, i was
wondering if there is a more centralised solution that users can turn
on/off, but doesnt require setting up on every client/profile/potential
users in the organisation?

Thanks

--
Guy Hocking
BradFlack.com

Quote:> Hello,

> I am running an E2k sbs Mail Server.

> I wish to implement a mail forwarding system to cover users who are sick
or
> on holiday.
> It is a small organisation which has around 40-50 users. It is a legal
firm
> and any absences or sickness can cause problems when it comes to mailboxes
> with important emails in, not being read by the right people or at all.

> Ideal Scenario:
> In an ideal world, to have a button in the users "Outlook" MAPI clients to
> press for when they are away IE - "Away". When pressed all emails to the
> address of that mailbox are forwarded to another specified address/user,
and
> an Autoreply sent to the sender stating that the mail has been read by
> another user.

> Obviously i realise this is a very "specific" solution and there is
probably
> nothing like this out there. I have GFI Mail Essentials and Mail Security,
> so that takes care of the Auto Replies - but to integrate this
automatically
> would be better (less work for me, as i am not always on-site, which could
> cause probs).
> I was wondering if i am missing any mail forwarding function in Exchange
> that can be activated by the users themselves through Outlook, or if not
> possible, for me to setup mail forwarding as described above in Exchange
SM?

> Alternatevely, if anybody knows of ANY relatively good, 3rd party
> client/server side software that can do this for Exchange2k please give me
> details.
> This must be a common issue, it seems such a simple idea/task.

> Thanks much in advance

> --
> Guy Hocking
> BradFlack.com
> IT Support Technician

Mail Forwarding in E2K

Post by Alfons Bierbau » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:02:54

If you are still interested I could write u an event sink which makes a copy
of the email on the server and forwards it to another email.
alfons

> Hello again,

> I realise this can be done in Outlook for individual MAPI clients, i was
> wondering if there is a more centralised solution that users can turn
> on/off, but doesnt require setting up on every client/profile/potential
> users in the organisation?

> Thanks

> --
> Guy Hocking
> BradFlack.com
> IT Support Technician

> > Hello,

> > I am running an E2k sbs Mail Server.

> > I wish to implement a mail forwarding system to cover users who are sick
> or
> > on holiday.
> > It is a small organisation which has around 40-50 users. It is a legal
> firm
> > and any absences or sickness can cause problems when it comes to
mailboxes
> > with important emails in, not being read by the right people or at all.

> > Ideal Scenario:
> > In an ideal world, to have a button in the users "Outlook" MAPI clients
> > press for when they are away IE - "Away". When pressed all emails to the
> > address of that mailbox are forwarded to another specified address/user,
> and
> > an Autoreply sent to the sender stating that the mail has been read by
> > another user.

> > Obviously i realise this is a very "specific" solution and there is
> probably
> > nothing like this out there. I have GFI Mail Essentials and Mail
Security,
> > so that takes care of the Auto Replies - but to integrate this
> automatically
> > would be better (less work for me, as i am not always on-site, which
could
> > cause probs).
> > I was wondering if i am missing any mail forwarding function in Exchange
> > that can be activated by the users themselves through Outlook, or if not
> > possible, for me to setup mail forwarding as described above in Exchange
> SM?

> > Alternatevely, if anybody knows of ANY relatively good, 3rd party
> > client/server side software that can do this for Exchange2k please give
me
> > details.
> > This must be a common issue, it seems such a simple idea/task.

> > Thanks much in advance

> > --
> > Guy Hocking
> > BradFlack.com
> > IT Support Technician

Mail Forwarding in E2K

Post by Deji Akomolaf » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:04:08

To answer your question, NO. you are not missing any hidden feature of
Exchange. it simply is not there.

HTH
Deji

> Hello again,

> I realise this can be done in Outlook for individual MAPI clients, i was
> wondering if there is a more centralised solution that users can turn
> on/off, but doesnt require setting up on every client/profile/potential
> users in the organisation?

> Thanks

> --
> Guy Hocking
> BradFlack.com
> IT Support Technician

> > Hello,

> > I am running an E2k sbs Mail Server.

> > I wish to implement a mail forwarding system to cover users who are sick
> or
> > on holiday.
> > It is a small organisation which has around 40-50 users. It is a legal
> firm
> > and any absences or sickness can cause problems when it comes to
mailboxes
> > with important emails in, not being read by the right people or at all.

> > Ideal Scenario:
> > In an ideal world, to have a button in the users "Outlook" MAPI clients
> > press for when they are away IE - "Away". When pressed all emails to the
> > address of that mailbox are forwarded to another specified address/user,
> and
> > an Autoreply sent to the sender stating that the mail has been read by
> > another user.

> > Obviously i realise this is a very "specific" solution and there is
> probably
> > nothing like this out there. I have GFI Mail Essentials and Mail
Security,
> > so that takes care of the Auto Replies - but to integrate this
> automatically
> > would be better (less work for me, as i am not always on-site, which
could
> > cause probs).
> > I was wondering if i am missing any mail forwarding function in Exchange
> > that can be activated by the users themselves through Outlook, or if not
> > possible, for me to setup mail forwarding as described above in Exchange
> SM?

> > Alternatevely, if anybody knows of ANY relatively good, 3rd party
> > client/server side software that can do this for Exchange2k please give
me
> > details.
> > This must be a common issue, it seems such a simple idea/task.

> > Thanks much in advance

> > --
> > Guy Hocking
> > BradFlack.com
> > IT Support Technician

Mail Forwarding in E2K

Post by Guy Hockin » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:38:55

Thanks, that would be a real help, I need as many options as possible.

Email me direct if you wish,

Thanks again

Guy

> [...]

> > automatically
> > > would be better (less work for me, as i am not always on-site, which
> could
> > > cause probs).
> > > I was wondering if i am missing any mail forwarding function in
Exchange
> > > that can be activated by the users themselves through Outlook, or if
not
> > > possible, for me to setup mail forwarding as described above in
Exchange
> > SM?

> > > Alternatevely, if anybody knows of ANY relatively good, 3rd party
> > > client/server side software that can do this for Exchange2k please
give
> me
> > > details.
> > > This must be a common issue, it seems such a simple idea/task.

Mail Forwarding in E2K

Post by Guy Hockin » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:48:22

Thanks for the response -

Is there any reason why the Auto reply's generated by the "Rules Wizard" OR
the "Out of Office Assistant" do not work??

It works on my POP3 account client. which is no use really, but it will not
work in the Exchange Environment!!
No errors, just doesnt send an auto reply, no queues in the VS or anything
!!?? The mail forwarding + deleting and other stuff work ok.
Also, sometimes in the Rules Wizard, it states the i cannot combine server
and client side rules together? Server side rules???? what are these, and
why is it saying this!

HELP!!

Thanks Again

Guy

> [...]

> > automatically
> > > would be better (less work for me, as i am not always on-site, which
> could
> > > cause probs).
> > > I was wondering if i am missing any mail forwarding function in
Exchange
> > > that can be activated by the users themselves through Outlook, or if
not
> > > possible, for me to setup mail forwarding as described above in
Exchange
> > SM?

> > > Alternatevely, if anybody knows of ANY relatively good, 3rd party
> > > client/server side software that can do this for Exchange2k please
give
> me
> > > details.
> > > This must be a common issue, it seems such a simple idea/task.

Mail Forwarding in E2K

Post by Deji Akomolaf » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:50:48

Guy,

a piece of advice: Google is a VERY good resource for finding answers to
questions, especially on weekends when most people are onto some other less
techie stuffs.

For example, a search for "Server side rules" and exchange on Google turns
up some hits that appear to answer your Server side rules???? what are
these, and why is it saying this!" question.

See
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22Server+side...

HTH
deji

> Thanks for the response -

> Is there any reason why the Auto reply's generated by the "Rules Wizard"
OR
> the "Out of Office Assistant" do not work??

> It works on my POP3 account client. which is no use really, but it will
not
> work in the Exchange Environment!!
> No errors, just doesnt send an auto reply, no queues in the VS or anything
> !!?? The mail forwarding + deleting and other stuff work ok.
> Also, sometimes in the Rules Wizard, it states the i cannot combine server
> and client side rules together? Server side rules???? what are these, and
> why is it saying this!

> HELP!!

> Thanks Again

> Guy

> > To answer your question, NO. you are not missing any hidden feature of
> > Exchange. it simply is not there.

> > HTH
> > Deji

> > > Hello again,

> > > I realise this can be done in Outlook for individual MAPI clients, i
was
> > > wondering if there is a more centralised solution that users can turn
> > > on/off, but doesnt require setting up on every

client/profile/potential

> > > users in the organisation?

> > > Thanks

> > > --
> > > Guy Hocking
> > > BradFlack.com
> > > IT Support Technician

> sick
> > > or
> > > firm
> > mailboxes
> all.

> clients
> the
> address/user,
> > > and

> > > probably
> > Security,
> > > automatically
> > could
> Exchange
> not
> Exchange
> > > SM?

> give
> > me

Mail Forwarding in E2K

Post by news.microsoft.co » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:23:03

Create a contact for that person, config it with the address they want their
mail forwaded too, then go into there account in AD and forward to the
contact you just created.

Quote:> Hello,

> I am running an E2k sbs Mail Server.

> I wish to implement a mail forwarding system to cover users who are sick
or
> on holiday.
> It is a small organisation which has around 40-50 users. It is a legal
firm
> and any absences or sickness can cause problems when it comes to mailboxes
> with important emails in, not being read by the right people or at all.

> Ideal Scenario:
> In an ideal world, to have a button in the users "Outlook" MAPI clients to
> press for when they are away IE - "Away". When pressed all emails to the
> address of that mailbox are forwarded to another specified address/user,
and
> an Autoreply sent to the sender stating that the mail has been read by
> another user.

> Obviously i realise this is a very "specific" solution and there is
probably
> nothing like this out there. I have GFI Mail Essentials and Mail Security,
> so that takes care of the Auto Replies - but to integrate this
automatically
> would be better (less work for me, as i am not always on-site, which could
> cause probs).
> I was wondering if i am missing any mail forwarding function in Exchange
> that can be activated by the users themselves through Outlook, or if not
> possible, for me to setup mail forwarding as described above in Exchange
SM?

> Alternatevely, if anybody knows of ANY relatively good, 3rd party
> client/server side software that can do this for Exchange2k please give me
> details.
> This must be a common issue, it seems such a simple idea/task.

> Thanks much in advance

> --
> Guy Hocking
> BradFlack.com
> IT Support Technician

Mail Forwarding in E2K

Post by Guy Hockin » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:54:19

Thankyou very much for your "Advice".
I see no need for your sarcasm and i am perfectly aware that "Google" is a
VERY good resource for stuff.
I merely expressed my continued interest into my problem in the news groups,
so people were not answering the same question.
In hindsight this was wrong and if i have offended your weekend newsgroup
reading, i apoligise profusely.
I am also writing this in the comfort of my back garden, what a lovely day
it is too, so not as sad and "techie"fied as you made out - thank god for
wireless routers ;-).

Thanks again for your response
Apoligies for any offence

--