Replace Exchange 2000 Server

Post by Goergh-Ralp » Thu, 09 May 2002 15:19:54

Let me first apologize for the cross-posting. I do not know which of these
groups these questions belong to.

I am looking to replace my current Exchange 2000 server with a more-robust
server hardware. The current server is the MAIN Exchange server (there are 2
other E2K servers in the organization) and I want to replace this server for
2 reasons:
1.    The original admin installed the current server as a DC
2.    For clustering. The current Exchange server is a Win2K server, which
can not be clustered.

The questions are:
In order to minimize (avoid) user-downtime, I intend to install the new
Win2K Advanced Server as a member server and install Exchange Enterprise
Edition on it. Is it possible to completely mirror the current settings and
configurations of the current server to the new server?

What are the steps I should be looking into? Will it be possible to
automatically  transfer all current configuration to the new server and
decommission the current server?

If this is not possible, what is the recommended approach to accomplish this
task?

thanks to everyone who responds.

-ralph

Replace Exchange 2000 Server

Post by Tim Collin » Fri, 10 May 2002 03:48:42

I would use the same approach of decommissioning any exchange server. I
would set the new one up and then move all public folders, move all
connectors, move all mailboxes, move miscs, and then change MX records.

Quote:> Let me first apologize for the cross-posting. I do not know which of these
> groups these questions belong to.

> I am looking to replace my current Exchange 2000 server with a more-robust
> server hardware. The current server is the MAIN Exchange server (there are
2
> other E2K servers in the organization) and I want to replace this server
for
> 2 reasons:
> 1.    The original admin installed the current server as a DC
> 2.    For clustering. The current Exchange server is a Win2K server, which
> can not be clustered.

> The questions are:
> In order to minimize (avoid) user-downtime, I intend to install the new
> Win2K Advanced Server as a member server and install Exchange Enterprise
> Edition on it. Is it possible to completely mirror the current settings
and
> configurations of the current server to the new server?

> What are the steps I should be looking into? Will it be possible to
> automatically  transfer all current configuration to the new server and
> decommission the current server?

> If this is not possible, what is the recommended approach to accomplish
this
> task?

> thanks to everyone who responds.

> -ralph

Replace Exchange 2000 Server

Post by William Lefkovics [MVP » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:36:24

http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm

William

Quote:> Let me first apologize for the cross-posting. I do not know which of these
> groups these questions belong to.

> I am looking to replace my current Exchange 2000 server with a more-robust
> server hardware. The current server is the MAIN Exchange server (there are
2
> other E2K servers in the organization) and I want to replace this server
for
> 2 reasons:
> 1.    The original admin installed the current server as a DC
> 2.    For clustering. The current Exchange server is a Win2K server, which
> can not be clustered.

> The questions are:
> In order to minimize (avoid) user-downtime, I intend to install the new
> Win2K Advanced Server as a member server and install Exchange Enterprise
> Edition on it. Is it possible to completely mirror the current settings
and
> configurations of the current server to the new server?

> What are the steps I should be looking into? Will it be possible to
> automatically  transfer all current configuration to the new server and
> decommission the current server?

> If this is not possible, what is the recommended approach to accomplish
this
> task?

> thanks to everyone who responds.

> -ralph

1. Replace Exchange 2000 server

Hi,

I have 1 Exchange server in my organization that i am replacing this server
with a new one with new hardware. I have installed the new server and moved
all mailboxes over to the new serfer using "Move mailbox".

Are there any procedures , steps that has to be taken before i uninstall
Exchane on the old server ?

I have Advanced Security enabled in the organization, will i have to
uninstall this component on the old server and install on the new one, or is
this tied into the organization rather than a specific server ?

All help appreciated

Thanks

Niclas

2. Public Folder Calendar

3. Replacing Exchange 2000 Server

4. IMAP

5. Fill in "notes" section of Fax Coversheet

6. Replacing Exchange 2000 Server with faster machine - need help

7. Upgrade to 5.0 with IMS

8. Replaced Exchange 2000 Server Hardware

9. Replace Exchange 2000 Server

10. replace exchange 5.5 server with exchange 2000 server

11. Replacing Degrading Exchange 2000 server with New Server