Need to delete messages from 1000's of queues...

Need to delete messages from 1000's of queues...

Post by Mark Hanfor » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:05:48

I have managed to end up with a user sending out 7000 2Mb emails, which
have stuffed up my bandwidth and mail server quite well.

How can I delete these messages from the outbound queues?  It seems to
me that there's a significant deficiency in the E2k admin utilities if
you can't clear all the queues...

Deleting the SMTP connector and creating it again has not got rid of any
messages in the queue

--

Mark Hanford

Need to delete messages from 1000's of queues...

Post by Ward Flowers [MS » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:39:22

In ESM under Servername\protocols\smtp\queues  Each queue has the option to
right click and delete all messages in the queue.  I agree there is not a
great way to manage these queues and these is likely being addressed in the
next version of exchange.

--
Ward Flowers
Exchange Support Professional

****** Disclaimer ******

Note: Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

Quote:> I have managed to end up with a user sending out 7000 2Mb emails, which
> have stuffed up my bandwidth and mail server quite well.

> How can I delete these messages from the outbound queues?  It seems to
> me that there's a significant deficiency in the E2k admin utilities if
> you can't clear all the queues...

> Deleting the SMTP connector and creating it again has not got rid of any
> messages in the queue

> --

> Mark Hanford

Need to delete messages from 1000's of queues...

Post by Mark Hanfor » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:00:31

:(  That's a shame.  7000 messages = ~5000 queues...

Is it just me, or does this smell of
we'll-leave-this-out-so-they-buy-the-next-version.  It seems like fairly
fundamental functionality to me.

What are you supposed to do if you should get infected by a virus that
sends itself to everyone in the GAL?  That's a lot of
right-click-delete's...

thanks, anyway

--

Mark Hanford

> In ESM under Servername\protocols\smtp\queues  Each queue has the
option to
> right click and delete all messages in the queue.  I agree there is
not a
> great way to manage these queues and these is likely being addressed
in the
> next version of exchange.

> --
> Ward Flowers
> Exchange Support Professional

> ****** Disclaimer ******
rights.

> Note: Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for
newsgroup
> purposes only.

> > I have managed to end up with a user sending out 7000 2Mb emails,
which
> > have stuffed up my bandwidth and mail server quite well.

> > How can I delete these messages from the outbound queues?  It seems
> > me that there's a significant deficiency in the E2k admin utilities
if
> > you can't clear all the queues...

> > Deleting the SMTP connector and creating it again has not got rid of
any
> > messages in the queue

> > --

> > Mark Hanford

Need to delete messages from 1000's of queues...

Post by Ward Flowers [MS » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:42:35

sorry misunderstood your thousands of queues to mean thousands of messages
in a queue here is another option:

- You can manually delete the messages from the file
      system. To do this:

 a. Stop the SMTP service.

 b. Rename the Queue folder in the C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\Vsi 1
folder to create a new Queue folder.

 c. Restart the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant and
          the Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine.

 d. Start the SMTP service.

I understand your frustrations in not having a better graphical way to do
this.  Good feedback like this helps us to improve products.  Thanks again!

--
Ward Flowers
Exchange Support Professional

****** Disclaimer ******

Note: Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

> :(  That's a shame.  7000 messages = ~5000 queues...

> Is it just me, or does this smell of
> we'll-leave-this-out-so-they-buy-the-next-version.  It seems like fairly
> fundamental functionality to me.

> What are you supposed to do if you should get infected by a virus that
> sends itself to everyone in the GAL?  That's a lot of
> right-click-delete's...

> thanks, anyway

> --

> Mark Hanford

> > In ESM under Servername\protocols\smtp\queues  Each queue has the
> option to
> > right click and delete all messages in the queue.  I agree there is
> not a
> > great way to manage these queues and these is likely being addressed
> in the
> > next version of exchange.

> > --
> > Ward Flowers
> > Exchange Support Professional

> > ****** Disclaimer ******
> rights.

> > Note: Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for
> newsgroup
> > purposes only.

> > > I have managed to end up with a user sending out 7000 2Mb emails,
> which
> > > have stuffed up my bandwidth and mail server quite well.

> > > How can I delete these messages from the outbound queues?  It seems
> > > me that there's a significant deficiency in the E2k admin utilities
> if
> > > you can't clear all the queues...

> > > Deleting the SMTP connector and creating it again has not got rid of
> any
> > > messages in the queue

> > > --

> > > Mark Hanford

1. Queue in Internet Mail service has 1000 outgoing messages to unknown reciepants

Good Morning.
I have Exchange 5.5.  In the Queue for Internet mail
service there are 1000 e-mails pending delivery.  I am
curious if I am infected with a virus. I know that the
users have not sent these e-mails.  For instace there is
about 500 that go to Aol reciepents and about 500 that go
to hotmail.  They will not delete or go out.   I am trying
to delete these e-mails but it is not letting me.  Any
ideas on what to do.
Thanks

2. Exchange Admin Nightmare

3. Still have 94 queues! (have removed about 1000)

4. 3rd party tools

5. Need to script about 1000 mailboxes to everyone full access

6. Relaying Denied

7. Need to script 1000 Mailboxes to everyone full access

8. Please help with OWA upload problem!!

9. Need to script about 1000 mailboxes to everyone full access

10. messages aren't deleted from queue

11. Need to script about 1000 mailboxes to full access everyone

12. 1000's of non delivery reports

13. Help!: Deleted messages aren't deleted?