Two ex2k servers but can only send e-mail in one direction.

Two ex2k servers but can only send e-mail in one direction.

Post by Paul Butterfie » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:00:48

In my test environment...

I have an active/passive exchange 2k cluster (serverA) and a normal
exchange 2k server (serverB). Both servers are in the same routing
group members folder:

administrative groups
  first administrative group
    routing groups
      first routing group

I have users with mailboxes on both ex2k servers.

serverA is set as Master.

I can successfully send emails using outlook 2000 from serverA to
serverB and then read the e-mails when logged on as the serverB user.

Problem is:
I can not send emails from serverB to serverA and then read the
e-mails.

Symptoms:
e-mails leave outlook's outbox but are then nowhere to be found.

I have searched all of the 'bad mail' folders I can find but can't
find the e-mails.

Message tracking (on serverB) says:
SMTP store driver: message submitted from store
SMTP Message submitted to advanced queuing
SMTP started message submission to advanced queue
SMTP message subitted to categorizer
SMTP store driver message submitted from store
SMTP Message submitted to advanced queuing
:
:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Two ex2k servers but can only send e-mail in one direction.

Post by Neil Hobso » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:09:28

You could try looking in the SMTP queues on Server B (in ESM, under the
admin group, server name, protocols, SMTP, queues)

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk

Quote:> In my test environment...

> I have an active/passive exchange 2k cluster (serverA) and a normal
> exchange 2k server (serverB). Both servers are in the same routing
> group members folder:

> administrative groups
>   first administrative group
>     routing groups
>       first routing group

> I have users with mailboxes on both ex2k servers.

> serverA is set as Master.

> I can successfully send emails using outlook 2000 from serverA to
> serverB and then read the e-mails when logged on as the serverB user.

> Problem is:
> I can not send emails from serverB to serverA and then read the
> e-mails.

> Symptoms:
> e-mails leave outlook's outbox but are then nowhere to be found.

> I have searched all of the 'bad mail' folders I can find but can't
> find the e-mails.

> Message tracking (on serverB) says:
> SMTP store driver: message submitted from store
> SMTP Message submitted to advanced queuing
> SMTP started message submission to advanced queue
> SMTP message subitted to categorizer
> SMTP store driver message submitted from store
> SMTP Message submitted to advanced queuing
> :
> :

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Two ex2k servers but can only send e-mail in one direction.

Post by Paul Butterfiel » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:28:18

Thanks for your help Neil.

My messages were visible where you suggested.

My problem turned out to be: A smarhost had been set up on on serverB but
the smarthost
destination did not actually exist :-/

Cheers.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:09:28 -0000, Neil Hobson

> You could try looking in the SMTP queues on Server B (in ESM, under the
> admin group, server name, protocols, SMTP, queues)

> --
> Neil Hobson
> Silversands

> http://www.silversands.co.uk

>> In my test environment...

>> I have an active/passive exchange 2k cluster (serverA) and a normal
>> exchange 2k server (serverB). Both servers are in the same routing
>> group members folder:

>> administrative groups
>> first administrative group
>> routing groups
>> first routing group

>> I have users with mailboxes on both ex2k servers.

>> serverA is set as Master.

>> I can successfully send emails using outlook 2000 from serverA to
>> serverB and then read the e-mails when logged on as the serverB user.

>> Problem is:
>> I can not send emails from serverB to serverA and then read the
>> e-mails.

>> Symptoms:
>> e-mails leave outlook's outbox but are then nowhere to be found.

>> I have searched all of the 'bad mail' folders I can find but can't
>> find the e-mails.

>> Message tracking (on serverB) says:
>> SMTP store driver: message submitted from store
>> SMTP Message submitted to advanced queuing
>> SMTP started message submission to advanced queue
>> SMTP message subitted to categorizer
>> SMTP store driver message submitted from store
>> SMTP Message submitted to advanced queuing
>> :
>> :

>> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Two ex2k servers but can only send e-mail in one direction.

Post by Neil Hobso » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:41:56

Glad to know it's sorted.  You'll be pleased to know that the queues in
Exchange 2003 are all visible in one place, rather than having to expand the
relevant protocol first.  :-)

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk

> Thanks for your help Neil.

> My messages were visible where you suggested.

> My problem turned out to be: A smarhost had been set up on on serverB but
> the smarthost
> destination did not actually exist :-/

> Cheers.

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:09:28 -0000, Neil Hobson

> > You could try looking in the SMTP queues on Server B (in ESM, under the
> > admin group, server name, protocols, SMTP, queues)

> > --
> > Neil Hobson
> > Silversands

> > http://www.silversands.co.uk

> >> In my test environment...

> >> I have an active/passive exchange 2k cluster (serverA) and a normal
> >> exchange 2k server (serverB). Both servers are in the same routing
> >> group members folder:

> >> administrative groups
> >> first administrative group
> >> routing groups
> >> first routing group

> >> I have users with mailboxes on both ex2k servers.

> >> serverA is set as Master.

> >> I can successfully send emails using outlook 2000 from serverA to
> >> serverB and then read the e-mails when logged on as the serverB user.

> >> Problem is:
> >> I can not send emails from serverB to serverA and then read the
> >> e-mails.

> >> Symptoms:
> >> e-mails leave outlook's outbox but are then nowhere to be found.

> >> I have searched all of the 'bad mail' folders I can find but can't
> >> find the e-mails.

> >> Message tracking (on serverB) says:
> >> SMTP store driver: message submitted from store
> >> SMTP Message submitted to advanced queuing
> >> SMTP started message submission to advanced queue
> >> SMTP message subitted to categorizer
> >> SMTP store driver message submitted from store
> >> SMTP Message submitted to advanced queuing
> >> :
> >> :

> >> Does anyone have any suggestions?

> --

1. trouble sending email from one server in site to other two servers in same site

Hi all,

I have a site with two Exchange2000 Servers. All of a sudden mailboxes on
one of the servers (Server B) could no longer receive mail from mail boxes
on the other server (Server A). As it happens Server A holds the SMTP for
the site. So users on Server A receive external mail ok and mail from Server
B ok. Users on Server A just cannot reply or send mail to Server B. Server B
users don't receive any external mail.

Mailboxes on Server B can send an receive amongst themselves and can send to
Server A. They cannot receive messages from Server A. I then tried a test by
installing a temporary third server Server C. Users on Server B and Server C
could communcate both ways with no problem. BUT users on Server C experience
the same condition in regards to communicating with Server A as Server B had
communicating with Server A.

I deleted the SMTP connector on Server A and rebuilt it. No change occurred.

It seems as though the error lies with Server A. I don't know where to
start, could it be a DNS error...

Thanks for any pointers...

Gio

2. Listing of all Exchange 2000 Schema Extensions

3. 3 Exchange Servers in a site only (trouble sending email from one to other two)

4. IS error 1811

5. Two ex2k servers one only talk in one direction.

6. Outlook for Mac setup

7. One Exchange Server, Two Domains, Two User Email Addresses

8. Mac Outlook and Outlook 97

9. 3 exchange server trouble send mail from one to other two in site

10. Two networks, two mail servers, one client.

11. Sending msg between two Ex2k server

12. One mail direction and various mailboxes