Upgrading Exchange 2000 Server OS from W2K Server to W2K Advanced Server

Upgrading Exchange 2000 Server OS from W2K Server to W2K Advanced Server

Post by Lance Osojnick » Thu, 23 May 2002 06:43:28

Has anyone successfully upgraded an Exchange 2000 Server with Windows 2000
Server OS to W2K Advanced Server OS?

I am concerned about virtual memory utilization as we have 2 GB physical
memory in the systems and heavy utilization.

There is a Q266096 article referring to the /3GB switch but ONLY for W2K
Advanced Server or above.

Any thoughts? Experiences?

Upgrading Exchange 2000 Server OS from W2K Server to W2K Advanced Server

Post by Ronen Gabba » Thu, 23 May 2002 06:52:41

Exchange server can "run out of memory" in Advanced server because
the Exchange want more memory then the OS can give .
The 3Gb switch in boot.ini solve this problem.

--
Please do not send email directly to this alias.

Ronen Gabbay   MCT   MCSE+I   MCDBA
Hi-Tech College
ISRAEL

Quote:> Has anyone successfully upgraded an Exchange 2000 Server with Windows 2000
> Server OS to W2K Advanced Server OS?

> I am concerned about virtual memory utilization as we have 2 GB physical
> memory in the systems and heavy utilization.

> There is a Q266096 article referring to the /3GB switch but ONLY for W2K
> Advanced Server or above.

> Any thoughts? Experiences?

Upgrading Exchange 2000 Server OS from W2K Server to W2K Advanced Server

Post by Lance Osojnick » Thu, 23 May 2002 07:01:03

Correct.

Can an Exchange 2000 Server with Windows 2000 Server OS be successfully
upgraded to W2K Advanced Server OS?

> Exchange server can "run out of memory" in Advanced server because
> the Exchange want more memory then the OS can give .
> The 3Gb switch in boot.ini solve this problem.

> --
> Please do not send email directly to this alias.

> Ronen Gabbay   MCT   MCSE+I   MCDBA
> Hi-Tech College
> ISRAEL

> > Has anyone successfully upgraded an Exchange 2000 Server with Windows
2000
> > Server OS to W2K Advanced Server OS?

> > I am concerned about virtual memory utilization as we have 2 GB physical
> > memory in the systems and heavy utilization.

> > There is a Q266096 article referring to the /3GB switch but ONLY for W2K
> > Advanced Server or above.

> > Any thoughts? Experiences?

Upgrading Exchange 2000 Server OS from W2K Server to W2K Advanced Server

Post by Scott Schnoll [MVP » Thu, 23 May 2002 07:44:10

Hi,

Yes, it can.

Hope this helps.
--
Regards,

Scott Schnoll
MCT MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP
Exchange 2000 Server: The Complete Reference - ISBN 0072127392
TNT Software - www.tntsoftware.com
Microsoft Cluster Server Center - www.nwnetworks.com/cluster.html
Internet Explorer Security Center - www.nwnetworks.com/iesc.html

> Correct.

> Can an Exchange 2000 Server with Windows 2000 Server OS be successfully
> upgraded to W2K Advanced Server OS?

> > Exchange server can "run out of memory" in Advanced server because
> > the Exchange want more memory then the OS can give .
> > The 3Gb switch in boot.ini solve this problem.

> > --
> > Please do not send email directly to this alias.

rights

> > Ronen Gabbay   MCT   MCSE+I   MCDBA
> > Hi-Tech College
> > ISRAEL

> > > Has anyone successfully upgraded an Exchange 2000 Server with Windows
> 2000
> > > Server OS to W2K Advanced Server OS?

> > > I am concerned about virtual memory utilization as we have 2 GB
physical
> > > memory in the systems and heavy utilization.

> > > There is a Q266096 article referring to the /3GB switch but ONLY for
W2K
> > > Advanced Server or above.

> > > Any thoughts? Experiences?

Upgrading Exchange 2000 Server OS from W2K Server to W2K Advanced Server

Post by Evan Dodd » Thu, 23 May 2002 09:13:12

According to Q232039
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q232039), the
supported upgrade paths for Windows 2000 server are:
  Windows 2000 Server Retail (Full) Version
  Windows 2000 Server Upgrade Version

Advanced Server is not listed as a direct upgrade path.

> Hi,

> Yes, it can.

> Hope this helps.
> --
> Regards,

> Scott Schnoll
> MCT MCSE MCSA MCP+I
> Microsoft MVP
> Exchange 2000 Server: The Complete Reference - ISBN 0072127392
> TNT Software - www.tntsoftware.com
> Microsoft Cluster Server Center - www.nwnetworks.com/cluster.html
> Internet Explorer Security Center - www.nwnetworks.com/iesc.html

> > Correct.

> > Can an Exchange 2000 Server with Windows 2000 Server OS be successfully
> > upgraded to W2K Advanced Server OS?

> > > Exchange server can "run out of memory" in Advanced server because
> > > the Exchange want more memory then the OS can give .
> > > The 3Gb switch in boot.ini solve this problem.

> > > --
> > > Please do not send email directly to this alias.

> rights

> > > Ronen Gabbay   MCT   MCSE+I   MCDBA
> > > Hi-Tech College
> > > ISRAEL

Windows
> > 2000

> physical

> W2K

Upgrading Exchange 2000 Server OS from W2K Server to W2K Advanced Server

Post by Bryan Nyc » Fri, 24 May 2002 04:11:49

No, this is not possible. You cannot go from Server to Advanced Server. As
you probably already know, you cannot (or should not) use the /3GB switch
with Server, only Advanced Server or Datacenter.

I think Scott was thinking of Exchange Standard to Enterprise. :-)

Bryan

> Correct.

> Can an Exchange 2000 Server with Windows 2000 Server OS be successfully
> upgraded to W2K Advanced Server OS?

> > Exchange server can "run out of memory" in Advanced server because
> > the Exchange want more memory then the OS can give .
> > The 3Gb switch in boot.ini solve this problem.

> > --
> > Please do not send email directly to this alias.

rights

> > Ronen Gabbay   MCT   MCSE+I   MCDBA
> > Hi-Tech College
> > ISRAEL

> > > Has anyone successfully upgraded an Exchange 2000 Server with Windows
> 2000
> > > Server OS to W2K Advanced Server OS?

> > > I am concerned about virtual memory utilization as we have 2 GB
physical
> > > memory in the systems and heavy utilization.

> > > There is a Q266096 article referring to the /3GB switch but ONLY for
W2K
> > > Advanced Server or above.

> > > Any thoughts? Experiences?

Upgrading Exchange 2000 Server OS from W2K Server to W2K Advanced Server

Post by Scott Schnoll [MVP » Fri, 24 May 2002 04:20:13

Oops!  My bad!  That's right.  E2K Standard to Enterprise is supported (and
works), but Win2K Server to Win2K AS is not supported and does not work.

Sorry for any confusion that my confusion caused!  :-)