Global Catalog Server

Post by Jerr » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:49:02

I have 2 servers, I have one server acting as a DC and another server that
is a secondary that is running exchange. Every night I have the backup
software stopping the exchange services to backup the stores, but when the
backup goes to restart exchange I get global catalog errors that say that it
cannot find a global catalog server. But some nights this operation works
perfectly. So I was thinking that maybe I should make the exchange server
the global catalog server so it didnt have to go find the other server. Any
thoughts on this?

Jerry

Global Catalog Server

Post by Gary Coope » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:07:07

My first thought is why are you doing offline backups?  NTBackup is very
capable of doing online backups and that way your transaction logs are being
backed up and deleted from the server.

Quote:> I have 2 servers, I have one server acting as a DC and another server that
> is a secondary that is running exchange. Every night I have the backup
> software stopping the exchange services to backup the stores, but when the
> backup goes to restart exchange I get global catalog errors that say that
it
> cannot find a global catalog server. But some nights this operation works
> perfectly. So I was thinking that maybe I should make the exchange server
> the global catalog server so it didnt have to go find the other server.
Any
> thoughts on this?

> Jerry

Global Catalog Server

Post by Jerry D » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:16:13

Do you know where I can get documentation for the setup of NTbackup to
backup online? because I always have had failures trying to do it online.

> My first thought is why are you doing offline backups?  NTBackup is very
> capable of doing online backups and that way your transaction logs are
being
> backed up and deleted from the server.

> > I have 2 servers, I have one server acting as a DC and another server
that
> > is a secondary that is running exchange. Every night I have the backup
> > software stopping the exchange services to backup the stores, but when
the
> > backup goes to restart exchange I get global catalog errors that say
that
> it
> > cannot find a global catalog server. But some nights this operation
works
> > perfectly. So I was thinking that maybe I should make the exchange
server
> > the global catalog server so it didnt have to go find the other server.
> Any
> > thoughts on this?

> > Jerry

Global Catalog Server

Post by Gary Coope » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 03:25:14

NTBackup is basically BackupExec Lite.  but MS website or online help is
your best bet for support or PSS.  I have not had issues with NTBAckup.

> Do you know where I can get documentation for the setup of NTbackup to
> backup online? because I always have had failures trying to do it online.

> > My first thought is why are you doing offline backups?  NTBackup is very
> > capable of doing online backups and that way your transaction logs are
> being
> > backed up and deleted from the server.

> > > I have 2 servers, I have one server acting as a DC and another server
> that
> > > is a secondary that is running exchange. Every night I have the backup
> > > software stopping the exchange services to backup the stores, but when
> the
> > > backup goes to restart exchange I get global catalog errors that say
> that
> > it
> > > cannot find a global catalog server. But some nights this operation
> works
> > > perfectly. So I was thinking that maybe I should make the exchange
> server
> > > the global catalog server so it didnt have to go find the other
server.
> > Any
> > > thoughts on this?

> > > Jerry

Global Catalog Server

Post by Jerr » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 05:27:58

Allright, thank you very much, i'll give that a try.

> NTBackup is basically BackupExec Lite.  but MS website or online help is
> your best bet for support or PSS.  I have not had issues with NTBAckup.

> > Do you know where I can get documentation for the setup of NTbackup to
> > backup online? because I always have had failures trying to do it
online.

> > > My first thought is why are you doing offline backups?  NTBackup is
very
> > > capable of doing online backups and that way your transaction logs are
> > being
> > > backed up and deleted from the server.

> > that
> > the
> > that
> > > it
> > works
> > server
> server.
> > > Any

1. Best Practices for multiple global catalog servers in multiples sites

I have a one site domain with a combo DC / Exchanger 2000 server, and
a replication partner.  I'm setting up a remote site (same one domain
forest) with DC / global catalog server (no exchange server at this
site.) My goal is to reduce traffic over the remote link.  Will this
work, grantted that the exchange server is at the default site ?

2. Read Receipt button on toolbar

3. Where to put Global Catalog Servers ???

4. Removing users from the Global Catalog

5. Exchange & Global Catalog Server

6. Outgoing error with SMTP : 550 relaying Denied !

7. Exchange 2000 and Global Catalog servers...

8. Do anyone now howto

9. Multiple Global Catalog Servers

10. GLobal Catalog Server.

11. Rebuilding a Global Catalog Server!