Trans logs/ Informations Stores/ Mailboxes & Public stores

Trans logs/ Informations Stores/ Mailboxes & Public stores

Post by Jason Smid » Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:02:50

I was hoping to get something clear in my mind. ( sometimes problematic). I
want to make sure I understand the process Ex2k uses to delete old
transaction logs once an online backup has completed. I have one storage
group with one mailbox store and one public folder store. I have been in the
habit of doing a daily Full backup of the entire Storage Group. The
transactions logs would then be deleted upon completion of the backup. Does
this process change if I were to start backing up the stores separately? I
thought I read somewhere that Ex2k can have troubles determining which logs
to delete. Are they separate trans logs? Or are they a shared log?
My storage group has grown beyond my current backup systems capacity. I
thought that a simple solution was to backup the mailbox store separately
from the public store; does this effect the trans logs deletion process? If
so, would it be a good idea to create a second storage group that would
house the public folder store. I would move the large folders to the new
storage groups and keep the smaller more static folders within the first
storage group. How would this impact recovery. I realize this is a rather
long post, but my research has taken me all over my favorite haunts and I
have no conclusive answers yet! :) Thank you for you time.

--
Jason Smidt

Trans logs/ Informations Stores/ Mailboxes & Public stores

Post by Nino Bilic [MS » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:19:46

Basically, if you have a mailbox and public folder stores and you back them
up separately - we will not purge the logs. Logs are shared between ALL
stores in the storage group.

So - if we deleted the logs, there might be problems in the case of crash -
some transactions might be lost for store that was not backed up.

So - separate them into different storage groups - then this should work. It
is probably much easier to move mailboxes to a store in a different storage
group than public folders.

--
Nino Bilic
Exchange Support

Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.