Receiving duplicate messages

Post by Daniel Bonnin » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:58:23

We're running Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000 clients in a
native mode network. Recently, a user here sent an e-mail
with a sizeable attachment to a recipient in the
Netherlands. The recipient is probably running a similar
setup as above and has since received the message multiple
times, to the point where she can no longer use Outlook
because her inbox is clogged.

The sender's client only sent the message once and I am
unaware of how to determine whether our Exchange server is
to blame for the multiple messages or whether there is a
serious problem at the recipient's end.

I have not previously encountered this problem and wonder
if it is a common occurence with a simple explanation.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Receiving duplicate messages

Post by Ed Woodric » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 06:32:12

Look for the message in the outbound SMTP queue. Odds are that the size of
the message made the destination system not confirm the send.

Quote:> We're running Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000 clients in a
> native mode network. Recently, a user here sent an e-mail
> with a sizeable attachment to a recipient in the
> Netherlands. The recipient is probably running a similar
> setup as above and has since received the message multiple
> times, to the point where she can no longer use Outlook
> because her inbox is clogged.

> The sender's client only sent the message once and I am
> unaware of how to determine whether our Exchange server is
> to blame for the multiple messages or whether there is a
> serious problem at the recipient's end.

> I have not previously encountered this problem and wonder
> if it is a common occurence with a simple explanation.

> Any input is greatly appreciated.

1. POP3 Clients receiving duplicate messages

I am running Exch Server 5.5 SP3, off-site clients connect w/ POP3 to
receive mail.  All POP3 clients seem to be having some sort of problem,
buy mainly not receiving new messages -- only duplicates of those they
have already read/deleted.  Then they will receive an error saying 'not
all messages could be retrieved from server...'  Any ideas?

2. ExMerge 2000

3. Outlook users receiving duplicate messages

4. Conversion of PDF to TIFF using Event Service

5. Alternate Recipients receiving duplicate duplicate mail

6. POP3 gateway

7. Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k

8. Exchange replicate

9. Mailbox receiving several duplicate messages

10. Duplicate SMTP messages received.

11. Duplicate Multiple Messages received

12. Clients Receiving Duplicates of old messages

13. HELP: Duplicate messages received