Move E2K Server between forests

Post by Ziesenhenn » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 00:11:08

Hi,

is there any chance to move a E2K Server from one forest to another? How
should you proceed?

Thx Olli

Move E2K Server between forests

Post by Mike » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 01:46:25

Olli,

Do a "shell game" - that is migrate each mailbox/etc from
forest A to forest B then shutdown E2K in forest A and
reinstall forest A E2K servers in forest B move
mailboxes/etc back to moved servers.

Sorry, no way out of it...

Mike

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>is there any chance to move a E2K Server from one forest
to another? How
>should you proceed?

>Thx Olli

>.

1. E2K in different forest that W2K account forests

I currently manage a fairly complex Exchange environment consisting of
15,000 users from almost 50 agencies in county government.  My current setup
is Exchange 5.5 with one large "hub" site in it's own NT domain and several
"spoke" Exchange sites in departmental domains.  My county is looking to
moving to W2K and AD, but the politics are getting really thick and it looks
like we will end up with multiple W2K forests.  It also looks like complete
W2K migration will take 3-5 years to complete.

Because it looks like I might have to support multiple W2K forests and
because I want my E2K migration to take place significantly quicker than the
W2K migration, I'm considering putting Exchange 2000 in its own forest and
using something like Microsoft Metadirectory Services to synch with the
other forests.  Microsoft used to discourage this approach, but it's
beginning to look like they are going to support it as a viable approach.

I was wondering if anyone had done this yet or knew where I could get more
information on doing it.  I would assume that it will be more work to
support, but it seems like its advantages might be worth it.  I'm
particularly interested in what features or functions I might lose if I
separated the Exchange AD from the account AD.  If I picked a forest to join
I wouldn't get more than 50% of the County in my AD and I would still have
to support as many as 5 other W2K forests.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Restricting Certain File Types

3. How to move E2K between 2 AD Forests?

4. Bugs in E2K

5. Connecting E2K Servers in two different forests

6. Services Suddenly Stopping

7. Two Forests / One E2K Server

8. Only Administrator can use OWA

9. Unattend Install of First E2K Server in Forest

10. Moving ALL the data from E2k to a new E2k server

11. Moving Exchange 2000 to a new server in same forest

12. Move mailboxs to new server in new forest?

13. Move mailboxes to server in another forest