Gantt Charts and other project management features?

Gantt Charts and other project management features?

Post by Guy Co » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:37:17

There are interoperability problems that have been reported with MS Project
and Notes regarding storing the MS Project files in the Notes database. I
have no specifics other that what I heard last month when I did a
presentation on Project 2000 for the Capitol Area MPUG. I've cc'd my
response to the MSProject Group to see if anyone has the particulars.

In the mean time, what exactly are the problems they are experiencing with
MS Project. Many of the problems they are experiencing have probably been
cleared up in the latter versions of MSProject. As far as the collaborative
features have you looked at the Project Central feature of MS Project 2000?
I think that most of what you and you client are looking for are probably
available.

The bottom line is that unless you already have Notes expertise in the
organization and a large part of your enterprise framework built on Lotus
Notes, that putting Notes in the mix is just asking for trouble.

Guy Cox, MS Project MVP

> Hello:

> I've got a client that's considering implementing LotusNotes.  They
already
> have SBS server with Exchange 5.5 and Microsoft Project (version 4 I think
> and they don't like it much)  and I was wondering if there was a way to
get
> the same functionality they need within Exchange instead of adding Notes
> the mix.

> Mostly they are looking to manage projects and need these features:

> -Gantt charts to show project progress, deadlines, etc.
> -clear and concise calendar sharing for all team mates
> -"paper trail" to show where messages went and when

> also - if possible -

> -access to all this good info via the internet

> Any suggestions?

> I thought there must be a good "project room" web service that could do
this
> but I haven't found one yet that had sufficient charting and project
> management features.

> Thanks in advance.

> joel*

Gantt Charts and other project management features?

Post by Chuck Wal » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:43:23

I have just installed Project 2000 and Project Central with Exchange 5.5, so
far things look very promising,  make sure that your client is also running
Office 2000 to get all features.  Give it a try I think that they will
really like it, especially if they already like Project.  I am also running
it on Windows 2000 Server which makes it a bit easier.

--
Chuck Wall
MCSE, MCP+ Internet

> Guy:

> Thanks for the timely response.

> The complaints about MS Project are generally feature related but my
client
> does admit that Project 2000 sounds promising but to far off.  I'll
> investigate the "Project Central" feature. That probably has enough of
what
> they need and it is very doubtful that they could implement a working
Notes
> solution as instantly as they hope.

> joel*

> >There are interoperability problems that have been reported with MS
Project
> >and Notes regarding storing the MS Project files in the Notes database. I
> >have no specifics other that what I heard last month when I did a
> >presentation on Project 2000 for the Capitol Area MPUG. I've cc'd my
> >response to the MSProject Group to see if anyone has the particulars.

> >In the mean time, what exactly are the problems they are experiencing
with
> >MS Project. Many of the problems they are experiencing have probably been
> >cleared up in the latter versions of MSProject. As far as the
collaborative
> >features have you looked at the Project Central feature of MS Project
2000?
> >I think that most of what you and you client are looking for are probably
> >available.

> >The bottom line is that unless you already have Notes expertise in the
> >organization and a large part of your enterprise framework built on Lotus
> >Notes, that putting Notes in the mix is just asking for trouble.

> >Guy Cox, MS Project MVP

Gantt Charts and other project management features?

Post by Microsoft Projec » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:49:14

As a followup to my comments below, if users have Outlook 97, they do not
need to upgrade either. (Both Outlook 97 and 98 users do need to make sure
they install the expression services component via setup, to use the
Transfer Calendar entries feature).

Hope this helps,

Microsoft Project

> There is no real requirement for you to upgrade from Office 97 to Office
> 2000.  There are a couple of small benefits from having Outlook 2000 (we
> allow users to see the Project Central page inside of Outlook 2000), but
> other than that there is no other benefit that I know of.

> Also all clients need is IE 4.0 or higher on their desktop (or they need
> install the Browser Module for Project Central), so users can use Outlook
97
> or Outlook 98, it doesn't really matter.  There is a feature in Project
> Central that allows you to Trasnfer Calendar entries from the resource's
> Outlook calendar and send it to the Project Manager.  This feature has
been
> tested well against Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000.  I am not sure if we
> support Outlook 97 as well.  I can look into that and let you know.

> Overall, it shouldn't matter so much what the clients have on their
machine
> as long as they have the browser.

> Hope this helps,

> Microsoft Project

> > > I have just installed Project 2000 and Project Central with Exchange
> 5.5,
> > so
> > > far things look very promising,  make sure that your client is also
> > running
> > > Office 2000 to get all features.  Give it a try I think that they will

> > What specifically might we miss if we use P2K and Project Central but
> remain
> > with Office 97?  My company is not in the position to buy upgrade
licenses
> > for all the Office 97 seats, unless there is a really salient compelling
> > feature that we'll be missing.  Most of the people here don't
> use/understand
> > the advanced features in the Office 97 suite anyway.  If there is
> something
> > specific that will be missed as far as P2K/Project Central, maybe I can
> get
> > the Office upgrade implemented.

> > Next question -Do we need to mix Exchange into this to make it all work?
> We
> > do use Exchange, and Outlook, but many people here ignore the task list
in
> > Outlook and use mainly the calendaring and email functions of that
> > application.  Tasks apparently are managed by yellow sticky notes in the
> > physical dimension!  Additionally, we have a mix of Outlook 97 and
Outlook
> > 98 users -- would we need to get everyone on the same version for this
> > work right?

> > --
> > Paula Mader
> > Planning Department
> > Vibren Technologies Inc

> > remove nospam from email address to respond

1. Gantt Charts and other project management features?

Hello:

I've got a client that's considering implementing LotusNotes.  They already
have SBS server with Exchange 5.5 and Microsoft Project (version 4 I think
and they don't like it much)  and I was wondering if there was a way to get
the same functionality they need within Exchange instead of adding Notes to
the mix.

Mostly they are looking to manage projects and need these features:

-Gantt charts to show project progress, deadlines, etc.
-clear and concise calendar sharing for all team mates
-"paper trail" to show where messages went and when

also - if possible -

-access to all this good info via the internet

Any suggestions?

I thought there must be a good "project room" web service that could do this
but I haven't found one yet that had sufficient charting and project
management features.

Thanks in advance.

joel*

2. Create mailbox

3. Project Management in Telecommunications

4. Installing Exchange 2000 Server

5. Exchange and Outlook as a Work flow and project management system

6. basics of address book

7. HELP FOR PROJECT MANAGEMENT APPLICATION NEEDED!!

8. Outlook Web Access

9. Backing up the Key management server - feature request

10. Project management with Outlook and Exchange, Project 2000 or both?

11. affichage de gantt : pas de samedis ni de dimanches

12. keeping others out of each others mailboxes

13. Organizational chart application !!