EFD - Sequentially routing forms in Exchange?

EFD - Sequentially routing forms in Exchange?

Post by Christopher C Smit » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Are you saying the "normal" way  doesn't work?  From the "Read" version
of one form, click on "View">>"Form Properties" then the "Events" tab.
Set the "Forward" event to open the next form in line.  It helps if you
consider the "Compose" and "Read" versions as seperate forms.

HTH
-Chris Smith
-USA Hockey, Inc.

> Can anyone tell me an EFD technique without using folders to route forms to
> multiple people sequentially?  When I try this the form lives only for the
> first compose and then read sequence.  I haven't been able to forward a
> form beyond that point - it gets converted to text format instead of form.
>  I've tried creating different events and associating with those with forms
> etc. but it does not appear to work.  This is for Exchange clients by the
> way, not Outlook.

EFD - Sequentially routing forms in Exchange?

Post by Brian Pric » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Thanks for responding Chris.  Are you saying that I can create an endless
chain of forwards by invoking a new form each time they click on the
forward button?  How does the info get passed from one form to another?  So
the first form would be a compose/read form, then subsequent forms would be
single window?

What I would like to do is route a purchase request from the requestor to a
manager's in-box.  He/she approves, then forwards to the accounting clerk's
in-box.  She reads the form, creates a PO, forwards to purchasing's in-box,
who calls the vendor etc. I'm trying to get away from using folders,
because folders don't to the nofication piece, and our folks don't want to
scan more than one folder (their in-box) for incoming stuff.  I can 'sort
of' do it in the following way - although it's kind of hokey.

Requestor fills out a post PR form, it gets posted to a folder which
automatically forwards it to the managers in-box and deletes it from the
folder.  The manager gets an e-mail message in their in-box with the PR
form as an attachment.   They open the attachment, and do their approval,
thing, then click the forward button on the Exchange toolbar.  They fill in
the TO: column and click send and off it goes.

Using Send forms, the form only lives for the first send/read combination,
after that if you do forwards it gets turned into freeform text instead of
a form.

Brian

> Are you saying the "normal" way  doesn't work?  From the "Read" version
> of one form, click on "View">>"Form Properties" then the "Events" tab.
> Set the "Forward" event to open the next form in line.  It helps if you
> consider the "Compose" and "Read" versions as seperate forms.

> HTH
> -Chris Smith
> -USA Hockey, Inc.

> > Can anyone tell me an EFD technique without using folders to route
forms to
> > multiple people sequentially?  When I try this the form lives only for
the
> > first compose and then read sequence.  I haven't been able to forward a
> > form beyond that point - it gets converted to text format instead of
form.
> >  I've tried creating different events and associating with those with
forms
> > etc. but it does not appear to work.  This is for Exchange clients by
the
> > way, not Outlook.

EFD - Sequentially routing forms in Exchange?

Post by Brian Pric » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Chris, I did a little experimentation with this and I can begin to see how
your solution works.  One question, I'm using the same form for the
forwards as I am for the first creation.  I send it to my mailbox, and read
it.  Then click forward and a new form appears in my Window, behind the
original one.  The original form does not go away, I have to explicitly
close the window.  Am I doing something wrong?

Would you mind my sending you a question or two offline via your e-mail
address.  I really appreciate your help, and a few minutes from you might
save me many hours of stumbling around.

Thanks,

Brian

> Are you saying the "normal" way  doesn't work?  From the "Read" version
> of one form, click on "View">>"Form Properties" then the "Events" tab.
> Set the "Forward" event to open the next form in line.  It helps if you
> consider the "Compose" and "Read" versions as seperate forms.

> HTH
> -Chris Smith
> -USA Hockey, Inc.

> > Can anyone tell me an EFD technique without using folders to route
forms to
> > multiple people sequentially?  When I try this the form lives only for
the
> > first compose and then read sequence.  I haven't been able to forward a
> > form beyond that point - it gets converted to text format instead of
form.
> >  I've tried creating different events and associating with those with
forms
> > etc. but it does not appear to work.  This is for Exchange clients by
the
> > way, not Outlook.

EFD - Sequentially routing forms in Exchange?

Post by Christopher C Smit » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

When looking at a form, it helps to think of the "Compose" and "Read"
versions as two seperate forms.  When you first start a form, you open
the "Compose" form and fill it in.  When you send it, the information
gets transferred to the "Read" form and put in the recipient's mailbox.
If you have it set up correctly:  when that person forwards the form,
the info gets transferred to a different "Compose" form, then to a
different "Read" form when it gets to the NEW recipient.

I've never tried forwarding a form using the same form, but I don't see
why it wouldn't work.

There are settings to control which info gets transferred to the new
form, and you can change the way it is displayed -- I set it up so no
one can change information added by the previous people (only the fields
THEY will read or fill in are even displayed), and I add a new "comment"
field for each new person who handles the form.

When you click "forward" and the new window appears on top of the old,
that is a seting in exchange ("Tools">>"Options">>"Read" tab>> the
"Close the original item" checkbox).

Yes, you can send questions to me directly, as long as you understand
that I may not be able to reply swiftly.

-Chris Smith
-USA Hockey, Inc.

> Chris, I did a little experimentation with this and I can begin to see how
> your solution works.  One question, I'm using the same form for the
> forwards as I am for the first creation.  I send it to my mailbox, and read
> it.  Then click forward and a new form appears in my Window, behind the
> original one.  The original form does not go away, I have to explicitly
> close the window.  Am I doing something wrong?

> Would you mind my sending you a question or two offline via your e-mail
> address.  I really appreciate your help, and a few minutes from you might
> save me many hours of stumbling around.

> Thanks,

> Brian

> > Are you saying the "normal" way  doesn't work?  From the "Read" version
> > of one form, click on "View">>"Form Properties" then the "Events" tab.
> > Set the "Forward" event to open the next form in line.  It helps if you
> > consider the "Compose" and "Read" versions as seperate forms.

> > HTH
> > -Chris Smith
> > -USA Hockey, Inc.

> > > Can anyone tell me an EFD technique without using folders to route
> forms to
> > > multiple people sequentially?  When I try this the form lives only for
> the
> > > first compose and then read sequence.  I haven't been able to forward a
> > > form beyond that point - it gets converted to text format instead of
> form.
> > >  I've tried creating different events and associating with those with
> forms
> > > etc. but it does not appear to work.  This is for Exchange clients by
> the
> > > way, not Outlook.

1. Exchange Forms Designer (EFD)...Where Is It?

I'm trying to program an application and was told to have the OLE/Messaging
1.0 Object Library installed on my client machine, and if it was not to then
install the Exchange Forms Designer and that would have it.

I've been looking for it, and have not been able to fin ti anywhere?
Where can I install this from (and I do have the Universal MSDN in the
office)???

More than anything else, I need that OLE/Messaging 1.0 Object Library.  The
documentation I'm working from says that this file is named "Mdisp32.tlb"
and I also wanted to know if this is still the case (that the file name and
description haven't changed).

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Noah

2. Work Around

3. OLE Calls to an Exchange EFD Form.

4. TIME upgrade to 5,5 from 5.0 ---how long?

5. Extracting 16-bit EFD Forms from an old Exchange Server

6. Create trusts between forests

7. Exchange Server 5.5 EFD (Forms Designer)

8. Queuing messages

9. EFD and Routing - Need help!

10. Routing with EFD

11. Routing Wizard does not route form changes

12. Using the IMS Extension or Custom Routing Form option with Routing Table

13. Routing Wizard does not route form changes