Active/Passive Cluster

Post by caddo6559 » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 01:23:00

Hi, I have a single exchange 2000 server running. I need to install a second
exchange box and configure both as active/passive cluster.
How do I do this without losing any data on the current exchange box.
Any relevant articles would be appreciated.
Thanks

Active/Passive Cluster

Post by Tim Kalligoni » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 01:44:40

You need to have the cluster setup first and then install Exchange.

Quote:> Hi, I have a single exchange 2000 server running. I need to install a
second
> exchange box and configure both as active/passive cluster.
> How do I do this without losing any data on the current exchange box.
> Any relevant articles would be appreciated.
> Thanks

Active/Passive Cluster

Post by MSFT » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:59:25

More info if you still need it.

This is correct. You cannot migrate a stand-alone (non-clustered) Exchange
2000 server to be an Exchange 2000 server in a cluster.
One reason is because, when you run Exchange 2000 Setup on a cluster node,
Exchange Setup installs a cluster-aware version of Exchange.

Therefore, if you want to migrate a non-clustered server to a server in a
cluster, you must create your cluster, and then move mailboxes and public
folders to the new server.

The specific steps for installing Exchange 2000 in a cluster are in the
Exchange 2000 white paper
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&Family....

I believe, move mailbox instructions are in Microsoft KB 224975 "Differences
Between Move Mailbox Methods." Hope this helps.

This  posting is privided  "AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
Jon Hoerlein (MSFT)

> You need to have the cluster setup first and then install Exchange.

> > Hi, I have a single exchange 2000 server running. I need to install a
> second
> > exchange box and configure both as active/passive cluster.
> > How do I do this without losing any data on the current exchange box.
> > Any relevant articles would be appreciated.
> > Thanks

1. SA will not start on active/passive cluster server

Hi,

We have an Proliant CL380 exchange cluster configure on Active/Passive mode.
Currently  node1 is active and node2 passive.  When we tried to switch the
node2 in the active mode by down the node1, I noticed  all exchange services
(IS,DS...etc) try to switch over except System Attendant fail to complete
the switch and the whole exchange fail,  because the System Attendant
services is require for exchange box to run.  The node2 never complete the
take over. Does anyone know what might cause this incident.  Please help.

TIA

2. Cannot view mailboxes when creating them

3. Installing SP3 on an active/passive cluster

4. Exchange 5.5 generates RPC errors

5. Active/Passive clustering

6. IM using the Messenger Service

7. SA will not start on active/passive cluster server

8. Moving to new server

9. E2K off-line defrag in cluster active/passive environnement

10. WorkFlow on Exchange Active/Passive MSCS Cluster

11. E2K Active/Passive Backup Strategy?

12. EX2000 Active/Passive 2 locations