Inbound Mail Delivery Problems

Post by Michael Natal » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 01:23:19

From time to time I encounter people/customers who can't email me.

I can email them no problem.

They email me and the mail never gets returned, only delayed until their
mail server (presumably?) gives up.

One customer can properly resolve our Mail Servers DNS name, the other
cannot.

Is there a way for me to tell on Exchange 2000 SP1 if this is OUR problem or
their problem???  I have looked in the Event Logs but see nothing wierd and
also have checked Exchange items in System Manager to see if anything jumped
out at me....

I think the case where they can't resolve our DNS name, its clearly their
problem (she NEVER could email me but I always could successfully send to
her) but now I have another customer who can resolve our mail servers' name
but can no longer email me.  This 2nd customer and I have been emailing each
other fine all along.

Michael Natale

Inbound Mail Delivery Problems

Post by Dave Shoa » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 06:16:47

try the following
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q153/1/19.asp?LN=EN-...
n&FR=0&qry=IMC%20troubleshoot&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=ECH

I usually try telnetting to my exchange box.  If I can do it, it's either on
their end or our internet connection.

HTH,
Dave

> From time to time I encounter people/customers who can't email me.

> I can email them no problem.

> They email me and the mail never gets returned, only delayed until their
> mail server (presumably?) gives up.

> One customer can properly resolve our Mail Servers DNS name, the other
> cannot.

> Is there a way for me to tell on Exchange 2000 SP1 if this is OUR problem
or
> their problem???  I have looked in the Event Logs but see nothing wierd
and
> also have checked Exchange items in System Manager to see if anything
jumped
> out at me....

> I think the case where they can't resolve our DNS name, its clearly their
> problem (she NEVER could email me but I always could successfully send to
> her) but now I have another customer who can resolve our mail servers'
name
> but can no longer email me.  This 2nd customer and I have been emailing
each
> other fine all along.

> Michael Natale

1. Inbound Mail Delivery Problems

From time to time I encounter people/customers who can't email me.

[...]

2. exchange client doesn't remember pop and dial-up passwords

3. Mailbox location

4. Mail Delivery Outbound and Inbound Internet

5. Help with Exchange.

6. Inbound Mail Failure delivery setup

7. Certain e-mails wont send

8. Outbound/Inbound mail problems

9. Exh2000 Problems with inbound mail. SMTP / DNS

10. Routing Table Problem - Inbound Mail

11. Inbound Messages awaiting delivery - why?