Secondary MX value and using second server as a temp backup

Secondary MX value and using second server as a temp backup

Post by Craig C.B. Knaue » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 11:46:01

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to how to make this work (if it can
work).  Here's the theory:

I have two Exchange servers at separate locations.  Each one is independent
of the other.  Each is on a different domain (domain1.com at ipaddress1 and
domain2.com at ipaddress2).

I would like to set up the MX record for each domain so that if one server
(or its broadband connection) goes down incoming email will be bounced to
the other domain temporarily and held until the primary server comes back
online (at which time the email will be forwarded to its proper
destination).  Like this:

MX record for domain1.com:
ipaddress1 priority 10
ipaddress2 priority 20

MX record for domain2.com:
ipaddress2 priority 10
ipaddress1 priority 20

How do I get configure Exchange (and DNS if necessary) so that email