>->Seeking help with tricky domain migration!

>->Seeking help with tricky domain migration!

Post by matt.smit » Wed, 23 May 2001 11:17:13

Im planning a domain migration from Novell/NT 4.0 to Win2000, and would love
some advice to supplement my research.  Heres my predicament:

Current situation:
* Combination of over a dozen Novell 4.x servers, an Exchange 5.5 server, and a
SQL 7.0 server.
* Exchange 5.5 server also acts as PDC in current domain.
* No BDCs in current domain.

My original plan, in this order:
1) Migrate existing Novell servers to Win2000.
2) Install a number of new Win2000 servers.
3) Upgrade Exch5.5 server to Win2000/Exch2000 and switch to AD and native mode.
(When alls said and done, weve grown enough that Id like to set up a new
server as the DC, and take that role away from the Exchange server.)

My question:
Oops my research tells me I need to migrate the PDC server *first*, which is
also the Exchange server that I *planned* to migrate *last*.  Whats the best
way to get from where I am to a native Win2000 domain?  Im not sure how to best
sequence my steps to keep Exchange, the domain, and everything else happy.  When
theres only a PDC with no BDCs, whats the best way (if there is one) to make
another server the DC during the switch to Win2000, so I can get the Exch5.5
server (and current PDC) out of the picture for the Win2000/Exch2000 upgrade?

Id greatly appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions!!

Matt Smith
MIS Supervisor
DeSoto County (FL) School District

(You know the drill remove spamsux.)

>->Seeking help with tricky domain migration!

Post by Mark » Thu, 24 May 2001 11:36:00

I keep seeing everyone say you "MUST" upgrade the PDC first.  In regards to
member servers, it really doesnt matter.  You could move your novell servers
to windows2000 and join the NT4 domain.  When you are ready to upgrade your
DOMAIN to 2000, then you need to upgrade the PDC first.  Also, before you
upgrade your PDC, install a new BDC then take it offline so you can have a
backout if something goes wrong.

> I'm planning a domain migration from Novell/NT 4.0 to Win2000, and would
love
> some advice to supplement my research.  Here's my predicament:

> Current situation:
> * Combination of over a dozen Novell 4.x servers, an Exchange 5.5 server,
and a
> SQL 7.0 server.
> * Exchange 5.5 server also acts as PDC in current domain.
> * No BDCs in current domain.

> My original plan, in this order:
> 1) Migrate existing Novell servers to Win2000.
> 2) Install a number of new Win2000 servers.
> 3) Upgrade Exch5.5 server to Win2000/Exch2000 and switch to AD and native
mode.
> (When all's said and done, we've grown enough that I'd like to set up a
new
> server as the DC, and take that role away from the Exchange server.)

> My question:
> Oops - my research tells me I need to migrate the PDC server *first*,
which is
> also the Exchange server that I *planned* to migrate *last*.  What's the
best
> way to get from where I am to a native Win2000 domain?  I'm not sure how
to best
> sequence my steps to keep Exchange, the domain, and everything else happy.
When
> there's only a PDC with no BDCs, what's the best way (if there is one) to
make
> another server the DC during the switch to Win2000, so I can get the
Exch5.5
> server (and current PDC) out of the picture for the Win2000/Exch2000
upgrade?

> I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions!!

> Matt Smith
> MIS Supervisor
> DeSoto County (FL) School District

> (You know the drill - remove spamsux.)

1. >->Seeking help with tricky domain migration!

[...]

2. virus attachment not detected by Auto protect using Norton anti virus for exchange

3. Administrator's Home Server Doesn't Exist!

4. admin account shows full rights but still can't access mailboxes

5. Connecting Exchange to a Dialup ISP with POP3 Mail

7. Exchange Setup for SMTP mail / Internal Delivery and External >>>>>>>>>>>

8. Dxa.exe ....HELP>>>>

10. EMAIL FORWARDING >>>>>