Im planning a domain migration from Novell/NT 4.0 to Win2000, and would love
some advice to supplement my research. Heres my predicament:
* Combination of over a dozen Novell 4.x servers, an Exchange 5.5 server, and a
SQL 7.0 server.
* Exchange 5.5 server also acts as PDC in current domain.
* No BDCs in current domain.
My original plan, in this order:
1) Migrate existing Novell servers to Win2000.
2) Install a number of new Win2000 servers.
3) Upgrade Exch5.5 server to Win2000/Exch2000 and switch to AD and native mode.
(When alls said and done, weve grown enough that Id like to set up a new
server as the DC, and take that role away from the Exchange server.)
Oops my research tells me I need to migrate the PDC server *first*, which is
also the Exchange server that I *planned* to migrate *last*. Whats the best
way to get from where I am to a native Win2000 domain? Im not sure how to best
sequence my steps to keep Exchange, the domain, and everything else happy. When
theres only a PDC with no BDCs, whats the best way (if there is one) to make
another server the DC during the switch to Win2000, so I can get the Exch5.5
server (and current PDC) out of the picture for the Win2000/Exch2000 upgrade?
Id greatly appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions!!
DeSoto County (FL) School District
(You know the drill remove spamsux.)