Getting started with Forms in Exchange

Post by Chandra Kadiyal » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

We have Exchange 5.5 with both Exchange and Outlook clients. We would like
to use the Forms/PublicFolders etc. to automate the workflow in our
organization. Here are my questions:

1. I understand that one cannot start designing a form directly in Visual
Basic, but has to start the design process first in Exchange Forms Designer
and then move on to make the changes/enhancements in VB. Is this true?

2. All of the references to Visual Basic mention version 4.0 and not 5.0.
Does this mean I cannot use VB 5.0 with Exchange forms? (I am new to VB as
well)

3. What good resources (books mainly) are available to get started with
Exchange Forms/Visual Basic.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Any suggestions, comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated as
well.

Getting started with Forms in Exchange

Chandra,
#1. You are correct, you need to use the Exchange Forms Designer (EFD) which
is VB 4.0 16bit only. The EFD has its own VB4 like environment to make
customizations in, you do not actually need to purchase VB 4.0.

#2. Using the EFD you cannot use VB 5.0 to design forms. If you have a need
to design forms with VB 5.0 I would suggest you investigate Sax mPower at
<http://www.saxsoft.com/mpower/> as they allow you to create fully
functional Exchange Forms in VB 5.0.

For an informative book on the EFD see "Building Microsoft Exchange
Applications" MS Press.

NOTE: Outlook also has a forms designer that is 32bit, however you need to
have all your clients on Outlook, which sounds like is not the case for you.
"Building Applications with Microsoft Outlook 97" is a good book that covers
Outlook forms.

Hope this helps
Jay

>We have Exchange 5.5 with both Exchange and Outlook clients. We would like
>to use the Forms/PublicFolders etc. to automate the workflow in our
>organization. Here are my questions:

>1. I understand that one cannot start designing a form directly in Visual
>Basic, but has to start the design process first in Exchange Forms Designer
>and then move on to make the changes/enhancements in VB. Is this true?

>2. All of the references to Visual Basic mention version 4.0 and not 5.0.
>Does this mean I cannot use VB 5.0 with Exchange forms? (I am new to VB as
>well)

>3. What good resources (books mainly) are available to get started with
>Exchange Forms/Visual Basic.

>Thank you in advance for your help!

>Any suggestions, comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated as
>well.

Getting started with Forms in Exchange

Post by BJ Denenbe » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

We're also running both Exchange and Outlook currently, and I can't seem to
figure out where the elusive Forms Designer is located.  Where do I find it, how
do I install/access it?  I'm trying to utilize the sampapps.pst applications,
and need to modify the forms.   Being totally new to this, it's pretty
perplexing, especially when I can't find the EFD!  Thanks for any assistance you
can offer.

BJ Denenberg
VSE

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:42:24 -0600, "Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]"

>Chandra,
>#1. You are correct, you need to use the Exchange Forms Designer (EFD) which
>is VB 4.0 16bit only. The EFD has its own VB4 like environment to make
>customizations in, you do not actually need to purchase VB 4.0.

>#2. Using the EFD you cannot use VB 5.0 to design forms. If you have a need
>to design forms with VB 5.0 I would suggest you investigate Sax mPower at
><http://www.saxsoft.com/mpower/> as they allow you to create fully
>functional Exchange Forms in VB 5.0.

>For an informative book on the EFD see "Building Microsoft Exchange
>Applications" MS Press.

>NOTE: Outlook also has a forms designer that is 32bit, however you need to
>have all your clients on Outlook, which sounds like is not the case for you.
>"Building Applications with Microsoft Outlook 97" is a good book that covers
>Outlook forms.

>Hope this helps
>Jay

To respond via e-mail, remove "hatespam." from my address.

Getting started with Forms in Exchange

Post by Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

BJ,
  The EFD is located on your Exchange Server Client CD-ROM, The 'Client'
CD-ROM, not the Outlook CD-ROM as I believe there are two CD-ROMs under
Exchange Server 5.0...

Hope this helps
Jay

>We're also running both Exchange and Outlook currently, and I can't seem to
>figure out where the elusive Forms Designer is located.  Where do I find
it, how
>do I install/access it?  I'm trying to utilize the sampapps.pst
applications,
>and need to modify the forms.   Being totally new to this, it's pretty
>perplexing, especially when I can't find the EFD!  Thanks for any
assistance you
>can offer.

>BJ Denenberg
>VSE

>On Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:42:24 -0600, "Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]"

>>Chandra,
>>#1. You are correct, you need to use the Exchange Forms Designer (EFD)
which
>>is VB 4.0 16bit only. The EFD has its own VB4 like environment to make
>>customizations in, you do not actually need to purchase VB 4.0.

>>#2. Using the EFD you cannot use VB 5.0 to design forms. If you have a
need
>>to design forms with VB 5.0 I would suggest you investigate Sax mPower at
>><http://www.saxsoft.com/mpower/> as they allow you to create fully
>>functional Exchange Forms in VB 5.0.

>>For an informative book on the EFD see "Building Microsoft Exchange
>>Applications" MS Press.

>>NOTE: Outlook also has a forms designer that is 32bit, however you need to
>>have all your clients on Outlook, which sounds like is not the case for
you.
>>"Building Applications with Microsoft Outlook 97" is a good book that
covers
>>Outlook forms.

>>Hope this helps
>>Jay

>To respond via e-mail, remove "hatespam." from my address.

1. Need advice for getting started on programming Exchange 2k / Outlook 2k

Hallo newsgroup,

as a systemadministrator for w2k/e2k I got the task to build a workflow for
our support team.
I've basic knowledge in VBScript and VBA, but I'm trying hard to get really
used to it. So i'm looking for a suitable book that teaches me how to
program Outlook 2000 and Exchange 2000 EventSink. It would be great if the
book also explains its code samples so that I've the chance to understand or
maybe modify it in a way I can use it. If the book is written in non too
complex english, it would be perfect - you probably already realized that
I'm not an English native.

Thanx

Dennis Dannecker

2. How to configure Exchange for MS mail in Windows NT 3.51?

3. Getting started with Exchange Event Scripting

4. Recovering old email/mailboxes

5. Exchange SDK and Getting started

6. Exchange 2000 Server public folders vs Share Point

7. getting started understanding exchange and active directory

8. how to synchronize of two servers?

9. Exchange Server Application - Getting Started

10. Getting Started with Exchange

11. Still getting Dr Watson when starting the MS Exchange Internet Mail Service

12. Problem getting started with exchange server 5.5

13. Getting started with Exchange and WebDAV