Problems creating new user accounts/mailboxes

Problems creating new user accounts/mailboxes

Post by CJ » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 06:44:43

Here's an interesting problem I thought I'd only have to
deal with when using Active Directory Connectors (ADC) to
Exchange 5.5:

I recently migrated my mail servers from a mixed 2000/5.5
setup to all Exchange 2000 in native mode.  Suddenly, and
not immediately after the migration as far as I can tell,
new users (created from the AD Users and Computers MMC on
a DC)are being created are being created successfully,
but their mailboxes are not.  When I go directly to the
AD U&C MMC on an Exchange 2000 server, the new users
appears to create successfully, but is actually never
created.

The only other time I have ever seen behavior like this
was when I had a mixed Exchange environment and the DC
that owned the ADC between AD and the 5.5 Exchange
servers was down.

So basically I can't complete new user account creations
if a mailbox is required.

HELP!

 - CJ

Problems creating new user accounts/mailboxes

Post by Mark Fugatt [MVP » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 07:03:29

Sounds like you have two very common issues:

a) You will not be prompted to create a mailbox on a machine that does not
have the Exchange System Manager installed, so that would be the problem
with your DC

b) Mailboxes are not actually created until the user logs in for the first
time or until they receive some mail.

--
Mark Fugatt
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Quote:> Here's an interesting problem I thought I'd only have to
> deal with when using Active Directory Connectors (ADC) to
> Exchange 5.5:

> I recently migrated my mail servers from a mixed 2000/5.5
> setup to all Exchange 2000 in native mode.  Suddenly, and
> not immediately after the migration as far as I can tell,
> new users (created from the AD Users and Computers MMC on
> a DC)are being created are being created successfully,
> but their mailboxes are not.  When I go directly to the
> AD U&C MMC on an Exchange 2000 server, the new users
> appears to create successfully, but is actually never
> created.

> The only other time I have ever seen behavior like this
> was when I had a mixed Exchange environment and the DC
> that owned the ADC between AD and the 5.5 Exchange
> servers was down.

> So basically I can't complete new user account creations
> if a mailbox is required.

> HELP!

>  - CJ

Problems creating new user accounts/mailboxes

Post by CJ » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:33:05

No, that is not the issue.  I'm familiar with how new
accounts behave during and after creation. I have the
Exchange parts integrated into the MMC.  I always get
prompted to add a mailbox.  However, none of the emails
fields are populated after account creation (given time
for replication and such).

This seems almost like the ADC lost its way between the
Exchange Servers and the DCs.

 - CJ

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Sounds like you have two very common issues:

>a) You will not be prompted to create a mailbox on a

machine that does not
Quote:>have the Exchange System Manager installed, so that

would be the problem
Quote:>with your DC

>b) Mailboxes are not actually created until the user

logs in for the first
>time or until they receive some mail.

>--
>Mark Fugatt
>Microsoft Exchange MVP
>www.exchangetrainer.com
>www.msexchange.org

>> Here's an interesting problem I thought I'd only have
>> deal with when using Active Directory Connectors (ADC)
>> Exchange 5.5:

>> I recently migrated my mail servers from a mixed
2000/5.5
>> setup to all Exchange 2000 in native mode.  Suddenly,
and
>> not immediately after the migration as far as I can
tell,
>> new users (created from the AD Users and Computers MMC
on
>> a DC)are being created are being created successfully,
>> but their mailboxes are not.  When I go directly to the
>> AD U&C MMC on an Exchange 2000 server, the new users
>> appears to create successfully, but is actually never
>> created.

>> The only other time I have ever seen behavior like this
>> was when I had a mixed Exchange environment and the DC
>> that owned the ADC between AD and the 5.5 Exchange
>> servers was down.

>> So basically I can't complete new user account
creations
>> if a mailbox is required.

>> HELP!

>>  - CJ

>.

Problems creating new user accounts/mailboxes

Post by CJ » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:00:20

All of my Connection Agreements are missing, and I can't
recreate them.  Get an error when trying to do so
indicating that my Exchange server couldn't be
contacted.  Not sure what's going on here...need help! lol

 - CJ

>>> HELP!