Installing OWA on separate server

Post by Phil » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 11:38:15

Does Outlook Web Access for Exchange 2000 have to be
installed on the Exchanger server.  Is there a way to
install it on our dedicated web server.  The web server
and Exchange Server are in the same domain.

Installing OWA on separate server

Post by Mark Fugat » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 12:17:31

You cannot install OWA without Exchange 2000 and you cannot install Exchange
2000 without OWA, what you will need to do is install Exchange 2000
Enterprise on your web server and make it a front-end server.

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

Quote:> Does Outlook Web Access for Exchange 2000 have to be
> installed on the Exchanger server.  Is there a way to
> install it on our dedicated web server.  The web server
> and Exchange Server are in the same domain.

1. Installing OWA 2000 on separate server than Exchange

My company currently has an IIS server handling our external web traffic as
well as our OWA 5.5 processing.  Looking into Exchange 2000 (which we are in
the process of upgrading to now) it appears that the only way to get OWA off
from the actual Exchange server is to do a FE/BE configuration.  Reading up
on the Front End concept, it appears that once you enable an Exchange server
to be a FE, it stops all the local stores (apparently someone confirmed this
by actually setting the services to manual startup).

What I'm curious about is if there is a way to install the proxy components
(that the FE server uses) without having to install the additional Exchange
services.  Since our external IIS server is just that (a web server) I would
rather not have tons of Exchange services on it whether they are running or
not.

Does anyone have an insight on this matter?  I would greatly appreciate any
information or references to where I could find some.  tia

Travis Butynski

2. Distribution List Error when sending

3. Install OWA on separate web server

4. EXCLUDING MESSAGES IN THE SERVER!!!!

5. OWA install on separate IIS server in DMZ

6. Optimizing RPC bindings, which one worked for you?

7. Install OWA on a separate server for External use

8. Attachments doubleclicking problem

9. Install OWA 2000 on a separate server

10. Installing OWA on a Separate Box

11. Installing OWA on separate box

12. exch 5.5 installed on separate server w2k

13. Is it possible to install Exchange on separate mail server when using SBS 4.5