the authentication problem when access OWA

the authentication problem when access OWA

Post by mjia » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I installed Exchange 5.5 on a normal server ,which is NOT the primary
domain server in our domain. I found I can't access the OWA because of
the authentication failure . Then I installed Exchange 5.5 again on
that Primary Domain Server, this time I can access OWA successfully.
I wonder if OWA must be installed on the Primary domain server, but
the readme issued by the Exchange 5.5 didn't metion it. Maybe I got
some mistakes on configuration. Who can tell me how to do?

the authentication problem when access OWA

Post by Travi » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

If OWA is not on a PDC or BDC the users must login with the domain infront
of their userid:  ie  DOMAIN\username

hope this helps

> I installed Exchange 5.5 on a normal server ,which is NOT the primary
> domain server in our domain. I found I can't access the OWA because of
> the authentication failure . Then I installed Exchange 5.5 again on
> that Primary Domain Server, this time I can access OWA successfully.
> I wonder if OWA must be installed on the Primary domain server, but
> the readme issued by the Exchange 5.5 didn't metion it. Maybe I got
> some mistakes on configuration. Who can tell me how to do?

1. E2K OWA authentication/access problems across two servers

I having trouble getting through to my internal E2K server for OWA.

Setup:

Our current web server is NT4 with IIS 4.0 (also our old Exchange 5.5
server) and is behind a firewall. We email and web requests forwarded to its
ip via NAT. New E2K is also behind the firewall. I can access OWA just fine
using the http://severname/exchange/userid method from inside the network. I
understand how to direct traffic from outside using domain/exchange as well.
The issue here is I want to get to the E2K OWA machine through another web
server. I setup a virtual directory called E2K on the current NT4 web server
and pointed it to the exchweb directory on the new E2K server. I'm trying to
access by using www.domain.com/e2k/userid. When I do this I am prompted for
the username and password three times and then get a 401.1 Unauthorized:
Logon Failed error in IE. The NT4 server security log says:

Logon Failure: Reason: The user has not be granted the requested logon type
at this machine
User Name: Administrator
Domain: domainname
Logon Type: 2
Logon Process: IIS
Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Workstation Name: webservername

In the properties of the virtual server, on the Virtual Directory tab,
network directory field, "connect as" is set to the administrator of the
domain that the new E2K machine is a member of. The current web server (old
Exchange 5.5 machine is still a member of the old domain and has not been
migrated to the new Win2K domain that has recently been setup. I have trusts
setup between them of course. I was planning on migrating off the Exchange
5.5 stuff and the web sites to the 2 new servers and then removing that
original server anyway. I wanted to avoid migrating it if at all possible.

Is it even possible to access OWA 2000 through an NT4 webserver like I am
attempting? This particular web server is about to be replaced by a new
Win2000 web server that I plan to stick in the DMZ of the firewall rather
than on the internal LAN like it is now.

Any help would be truely appreciated. I've been trying to fix this for hours
now. Thanks in advance for any help...

2. Mailbox name and NT Account Name Different

3. MS Exchange Mailbox Manager

4. How to gain access to OWA without authentication dialog box

5. How to use OWA to change GAL

6. OWA continually asks for authentication when accessing from Internet

7. smtp conector does not allow etrn or turn

8. Authentication OWA Outlook Web Access

9. Getting an access to the Calendar through gateway: Authentication problem

10. Exchange Web Access authentication problem

11. Web Access authentication problem