Problems after restoring IS+DS from offline backup

Problems after restoring IS+DS from offline backup

Post by Andrew Lukaszewsk » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

    I just spent a riveting time wading through the ms whitepapers on
exchange disaster recovery/planning... geeze, what a mare. However, I am now
fairly fluent in restoring offline DS and IS databases, but after getting
the DS and IS (pub+priv) databases working, I am now presented with errors
when trying to restart the MTA and EVENT services. (this seems not to be
documented in the whitepapers.) an `Internal windows NT error occured'
message now pops up when trying to restart the aforementioned services.

Any Suggestions Exchange gods ?

Andrew L.

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>    I just spent a riveting time wading through the ms whitepapers on
>exchange disaster recovery/planning... geeze, what a mare. However, I am now
>fairly fluent in restoring offline DS and IS databases, but after getting
>the DS and IS (pub+priv) databases working, I am now presented with errors
>when trying to restart the MTA and EVENT services. (this seems not to be
>documented in the whitepapers.) an `Internal windows NT error occured'
>message now pops up when trying to restart the aforementioned services.

>Any Suggestions Exchange gods ?

If you don't use the Event Service I'd put it on the back burner and
set its startup to "Manual".

The MTA, OTOH, is a pretty important piece of software! The 2140 event
can be cause by darn near anything (if that's the event that's
recorded in the Applications Log). Can you be more specific about the
Events you find in the Applications Log when the MTA tries to start?
Post the EventID, Source, Category, Type, and Description fields from
the Event(s).

In general, the MTA checks itself when it starts, but you can perform
the same check by running MTACHECK. It may, depending on what the
problem is, repair the MTA database. Or it may not. But you'll at
least know more about the problem.

These MS KB articles are good starting places:

Q163326 "XCON: How and Why to Run Mtacheck"
Q162384 "XCON: How to Troubleshoot MTA Starting Failures"
Q147704 "XCON: Troubleshooting Tips for: Exchange MTA Not Starting"

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Problems after restoring IS+DS from offline backup

Post by Steve Walke » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

- This is from Andrew, (author of original posting)

Yes, you guessed right - error 2140 when trying to start the service.

I ran the MTACHECK, and it reported that my database was clean, nothing to
fix. (darn!) In the event log, there are

"A fatal directory error occured, switch to maximum logging for more detail
[MTA MAIN BASE 1 15] 16."
"There is not enough performance monitor memory to display the MTA
connections Information.  Stop attached performance monitors and restart the
MTA." - as far as I know I haven't instigated any performance monitoring of
any exchange services.

I only got this problem after I restored the offline backups of priv.edb,
pub.edb (mdbdata) and the dir.edb (dsadata) and run isinteg - patch.  After
this, the MTA dies.  Am I missing something ?

Andrew.

>>    I just spent a riveting time wading through the ms whitepapers on
>>exchange disaster recovery/planning... geeze, what a mare. However, I am
now
>>fairly fluent in restoring offline DS and IS databases, but after getting
>>the DS and IS (pub+priv) databases working, I am now presented with errors
>>when trying to restart the MTA and EVENT services. (this seems not to be
>>documented in the whitepapers.) an `Internal windows NT error occured'
>>message now pops up when trying to restart the aforementioned services.

>>Any Suggestions Exchange gods ?

>If you don't use the Event Service I'd put it on the back burner and
>set its startup to "Manual".

>The MTA, OTOH, is a pretty important piece of software! The 2140 event
>can be cause by darn near anything (if that's the event that's
>recorded in the Applications Log). Can you be more specific about the
>Events you find in the Applications Log when the MTA tries to start?
>Post the EventID, Source, Category, Type, and Description fields from
>the Event(s).

>In general, the MTA checks itself when it starts, but you can perform
>the same check by running MTACHECK. It may, depending on what the
>problem is, repair the MTA database. Or it may not. But you'll at
>least know more about the problem.

>These MS KB articles are good starting places:

>Q163326 "XCON: How and Why to Run Mtacheck"
>Q162384 "XCON: How to Troubleshoot MTA Starting Failures"
>Q147704 "XCON: Troubleshooting Tips for: Exchange MTA Not Starting"

>------------------
>Rich Matheisen
>MCSE, Exchange MVP

Problems after restoring IS+DS from offline backup

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>- This is from Andrew, (author of original posting)

>Yes, you guessed right - error 2140 when trying to start the service.

>I ran the MTACHECK, and it reported that my database was clean, nothing to
>fix. (darn!) In the event log, there are

>"A fatal directory error occured, switch to maximum logging for more detail
>[MTA MAIN BASE 1 15] 16."
>"There is not enough performance monitor memory to display the MTA
>connections Information.  Stop attached performance monitors and restart the
>MTA." - as far as I know I haven't instigated any performance monitoring of
>any exchange services.

>I only got this problem after I restored the offline backups of priv.edb,
>pub.edb (mdbdata) and the dir.edb (dsadata) and run isinteg - patch.  After
>this, the MTA dies.  Am I missing something ?

What release of Exchange are you using?

These MS KB articles may help:
Q185154 "XCON: Cannot Start Exchange MTA Service With Error 2140"
Q181948 "XCON: Message Size Grows When Re-routing on Same Server"
Q173458 "XCON: Event ID 9406 Occurs When Memory or Free Disk Space is
Low"

You say you've restored from OFF-line backups. Were those backups made
on the same machine and Exchange installation? Or have you restored
the backups to another machine or to an new installation of Exchange?

Are there any other Applications Log events recorded when you start
the MTA? If there are, post them here. Include the EventID, Source,
Category, Type and Description items from each event.

Although I cringe at suggesting this, a MTA Wipe might get you going
again. But let's not do that right away.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

1. Problems after restoring IS+DS from offline backup

Hi,

    I just spent a riveting time wading through the ms whitepapers on
exchange disaster recovery/planning... geeze, what a mare. However, I am now
fairly fluent in restoring offline DS and IS databases, but after getting
the DS and IS (pub+priv) databases working, I am now presented with errors
when trying to restart the MTA and EVENT services. (this seems not to be
documented in the whitepapers.) an `Internal windows NT error occured'
message now pops up when trying to restart the aforementioned services.

Any Suggestions Exchange gods ?

Andrew L.

2. Error message in event viewer

3. Disaster recovery

4. Migration from exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 server

5. problems restoring DS from online backup

6. Fax integration recommendation?

7. How to Restore DS offline?

8. Offline restore works but online restore fails - W2K backup

9. Backup IS/DS from NT Cluster, restore to single server

10. Problem with DS after database restore.

11. Restore indivdual mailbox from an offline backup?