Script Debugger & Exchange 5.5 Scripts

Post by <nospamk.. » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello all, I am venturing into new territory here with CDO and server-side
scripts on Exchange 5.5. I want to use the script de* on the server so
that I can get a better idea of what happens as my scripts are running, but
it doesn't seem to work exactly the way it should. I have installed the
Script De* on my test server and have put a STOP statement into a
script. The Stop statement invokes the Script De* on the server, but it
does not show me the code. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Server:
    NT 4.0 SP3
    Exchange 5.5 (120 day eval - it won't take SP1)
    IE 4.0 SP1
    Script De* 1.0.7295
    Logged in with Exchange Admin account

Client:
    Outlook 98

thanks!
--
Katherine G.

--
Katherine G.

[Remove nospam from email to reply]

Script Debugger & Exchange 5.5 Scripts

Post by Rick Spiewa » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

You should make sure that the Event Service is running under the same ID
as you are logged in under, otherwise debugging won't work properly. You
need
to be logged in on the Server!

Also, you should set:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeES\Parameters

Maximum execution time for scripts in seconds

to a long enough value for test purposes, otherwise your script may timeout
while you have it stopped
to think.

And:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Parameters
System

ICS Notification Interval [seconds]

to a shorter interval so that the event will trigger sooner.

>Hello all, I am venturing into new territory here with CDO and server-side
>scripts on Exchange 5.5. I want to use the script de* on the server so
>that I can get a better idea of what happens as my scripts are running, but
>it doesn't seem to work exactly the way it should. I have installed the
>Script De* on my test server and have put a STOP statement into a
>script. The Stop statement invokes the Script De* on the server, but
it
>does not show me the code. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

>Server:
>    NT 4.0 SP3
>    Exchange 5.5 (120 day eval - it won't take SP1)
>    IE 4.0 SP1
>    Script De* 1.0.7295
>    Logged in with Exchange Admin account

>Client:
>    Outlook 98

>thanks!
>--
>Katherine G.

>--
>Katherine G.

>[Remove nospam from email to reply]

Script Debugger & Exchange 5.5 Scripts

Post by <nospamk.. » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for you reply Rick, I am logged in on the server as the account the
handles the event service. The script executes on the server and the script
de* starts (on the server), however there is no code in the window like
there would be if I were debugging an outlook form. I was able to find the
first registry key that you mention below, but not the second one (ICS
Notification Interval [seconds]). Do I need to add it?

thanks again!
--
Katherine G.

[Remove nospam from email to reply]

Quote:>You should make sure that the Event Service is running under the same ID
>as you are logged in under, otherwise debugging won't work properly. You
>need
>to be logged in on the Server!

>Also, you should set:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeES\Parameter

>Maximum execution time for scripts in seconds

>to a long enough value for test purposes, otherwise your script may timeout
>while you have it stopped
>to think.

>And:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Parameter
>System

>ICS Notification Interval [seconds]

>to a shorter interval so that the event will trigger sooner.

>>Server:
>>    NT 4.0 SP3
>>    Exchange 5.5 (120 day eval - it won't take SP1)
>>    IE 4.0 SP1
>>    Script De* 1.0.7295
>>    Logged in with Exchange Admin account

Script Debugger & Exchange 5.5 Scripts

Post by Rick Spiewa » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

The second key needs to be added, as I recall.
You should also make sure you are the owner of the target folder.
In Exchange Admin, go to Folders\System
Folders\EventsRoot\EventConfig_<servername>

Make sure your account is an owner.

There is a good summary of how to make all of this work at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

An important note:  if you have made any of these permissions changes and
still get
no results, you may need to re-boot the server. This worked for me in the
same
circumstances!

>Thanks for you reply Rick, I am logged in on the server as the account the
>handles the event service. The script executes on the server and the script
>de* starts (on the server), however there is no code in the window
like
>there would be if I were debugging an outlook form. I was able to find the
>first registry key that you mention below, but not the second one (ICS
>Notification Interval [seconds]). Do I need to add it?

>thanks again!
>--
>Katherine G.

>[Remove nospam from email to reply]

>>You should make sure that the Event Service is running under the same ID
>>as you are logged in under, otherwise debugging won't work properly. You
>>need
>>to be logged in on the Server!

>>Also, you should set:
>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeES\Paramete

>>Maximum execution time for scripts in seconds

>>to a long enough value for test purposes, otherwise your script may
timeout
>>while you have it stopped
>>to think.

>>And:
>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Paramete
>>System

>>ICS Notification Interval [seconds]

>>to a shorter interval so that the event will trigger sooner.

>>>Server:
>>>    NT 4.0 SP3
>>>    Exchange 5.5 (120 day eval - it won't take SP1)
>>>    IE 4.0 SP1
>>>    Script De* 1.0.7295
>>>    Logged in with Exchange Admin account

1. debugger for Exchange Agent script never starts

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me with this problem.  In short, I am trying to use the
script debugger to debug an Exchange Agent script.  But, the debugger window
never comes up!

Here's what I've got:

NT40 SP4
IIS 4.0
Exchange 5.5 SP2
IE 4.0.1 SP2
latest script debugger from MS site

I created a simple "autoresponder" script in the inbox of our tech support
mailbox.  The script runs fine, so I know the events service is running,
scripting agent is enabled, etc.

I put the "stop" command in the script in the "on message created" event.
Logged on to the console as Exchange Services.  Sent a message to fire the
script and ...

NOTHING!

The script runs, I get a return message, all is well.  But the debugger
never starts up.

I have tried logging in to the console under various logins (Admin, the
mailbox owner, services, exchange admin).  I have tried creating the script
under these same logins.  And I have fired up the script debugger manually
to make sure it works.  But the darn thing just won't load by itself.

Is there some trick here, something I have to turn on to make this work?
For example,

1. Since I have IIS running, do I have to turn on the server-side script
debugging (I thought that only affected the ASP scripts for the web site,
but who knows)?  (anyway, I tried this, no effect)

2. I have Visual Studio 6.0 on this computer also.  After I installed the
script debugger, I read in the readme that you shouldn't install the script
debugger after Visual Interdev, because it makes the IE script debugger the
default.  Well, who cares ... any debugger would be fine right now!

I've gone throught the MS KBase, MSDN and www.cdolive.com and I can't find
the answer.  Can anyone help?

TIA

Terry McKiernan
ARES Development Group

2. E0000001.log

3. Cant get debugger to work for Exchange scripts.

4. Inbox Assistant "move" rule does nothing

5. Cant Debugger Exchange Agent Script

6. Question about MTA queue

7. Script debugger and exchange server

8. Restoring a Single Mailbox

9. debugger for Exchange Agent script never starts

10. Lost my Script Debugger!

11. Getting script debugger to kick in

12. Scripting Debugger does not work

13. Lost my Script Debugger!