E2K in different forest that W2K account forests

E2K in different forest that W2K account forests

Post by Jim Smit » Thu, 31 May 2001 09:50:21

I currently manage a fairly complex Exchange environment consisting of
15,000 users from almost 50 agencies in county government.  My current setup
is Exchange 5.5 with one large "hub" site in it's own NT domain and several
"spoke" Exchange sites in departmental domains.  My county is looking to
moving to W2K and AD, but the politics are getting really thick and it looks
like we will end up with multiple W2K forests.  It also looks like complete
W2K migration will take 3-5 years to complete.

Because it looks like I might have to support multiple W2K forests and
because I want my E2K migration to take place significantly quicker than the
W2K migration, I'm considering putting Exchange 2000 in its own forest and
using something like Microsoft Metadirectory Services to synch with the
other forests.  Microsoft used to discourage this approach, but it's
beginning to look like they are going to support it as a viable approach.

I was wondering if anyone had done this yet or knew where I could get more
information on doing it.  I would assume that it will be more work to
support, but it seems like its advantages might be worth it.  I'm
particularly interested in what features or functions I might lose if I
separated the Exchange AD from the account AD.  If I picked a forest to join
I wouldn't get more than 50% of the County in my AD and I would still have
to support as many as 5 other W2K forests.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1. Connecting E2K Servers in two different forests

Hi,
we have setup two Exchange 2000-Servers in two domains and one forest. No
Problem with that.
Now we have to connect another Exchange 2000 Server in an office of a
different Corporation to the above forest to use features like "Shared
Calendar", Global Adressbook, ....
Is there any possibility to connect the two Servers ?

Thanks in advance
Patrick

2. Default Forwarding

3. Exchange accounts in a different domain, same forest

4. Outlook 97 notifies me of email even if I don't have any new email

5. Exchange accounts in a different dmain, same forest

6. BROKEN PUBLIC FOLDERS

7. Exchange accounts in a different domain, same forest....

8. OUT OF DATE GAL

9. Exchange accounts in a different domain, same forest

10. Exchange 2000 Resource Forest and multiple User Forest / NT4 Dom?nen (Exchange Mixed Mode)

11. Diff forest or same forest ???

12. Sharing GAL between different organizations in different forests