Still confused

Post by larr » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:50:23

Thanks Mark..

I still dont think this will work for me....

My original mail1 server is still online and working good.
My new test mail1 server has the operating system
installed and is ready for exchange installation. It is a
brand new install.

1. Do I have to take my working exchange server offline
to install exchangee 2000 in /disasterrecovery mode? on
my test server?

2. My test server is a workgroup right now. Cant I just
install exchange 2000 and dismount databases and re-mount
the backup of databases from the working mail1 server?

3. My idea here is that yes we have a completely working
exchange envirement, but I want to similate worst case
disaster. One of the mail servers gets blown up and we
have to use a completely different hardware platform to
restore. System state ONLY works with the same hardware
or you get a BUNCH of errors. So I have built a BRAND new
server and am ready to put exchange on it.

4.  How Can I test this with MINIMAL downtime of the
original mail1 server? If I take it down while installing
exchange it will be down for aprox 2 hours. Thats not
good.

5.  How can I create this standby server that all I have
to do in an emergency is pull it off the shelf...(Or From
our secured warehouse) and restore the original exchange
databases?

6. How do we test this every 3 months without interupting
the current envirement?

7. I read about creating a whole new forest but wat does
that do? Dont I have to then create thousands of user
accounts in that forest??

Thanks

mail2
>>crash. I am currently doing a test recovery as if mail2
>>crashed completely.

>>I installed the test server as mail1 in a workgroup. I
>>will then unplug the real mail1 and join the test
mail1to
>>the domain.

>>Before I do this do I

>>1. Install windows 2000 with all service packs like the
>>real one.
>>2. Install exchange server 2000 Enterprise like the
real
>>one?
>>3. Dismount the databases.
>>4. Restore the priv1.edb pub1.edb and stem files?

>>Mount the stores and it will work?

>1. Yes
>1a, restore the system state
>2. Yes, using the /disasterrecovery switch
>3. Ceases to apply
>4. Restore Exchange using the Exchange backup, not
restoration of a
>flat files set.
>"Exchange 2000 Server Disaster Recovery: Worst-Case
Survival Handbook"
>Is a good article to kick off with.
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?

url=/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/exchange2000/proddocs/on
linebooks/disrec/default.asp

>Note, Any TechNet based reply posted with a "Q" prefix
can be
>found on the online knowledge base, omitting the "Q"

>Before U post...
>http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
>http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
>.

.

Still confused

Post by JBartlet » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 06:53:26

I'm not sure about exchange 2k, but what I did with Exchange 5.5 Enterprise
was create a bdc on my production domain with the new server (just a DC in
Win2k). I then put this system on an ISOLATED hub, promoted it to PDC,
changed it's name to reflect that of my current production exchange server,
then installed Exchange on it. I attached my tape backup system to this hub,
which allowed me to restore databases from tape. This way I had a fully
operational environment that duplicated my current environment, with no
conflicts. When I was done, I made sure to blow away the test box so that
nobody plugged it into the production network. Maybe you can use some of
those ideas in your situation.

Jim.