Corrupt pub1.mdb - no backup file

Post by Darren Walke » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 00:33:52

This is embarassing, but a drive failed yesterday on our
RAID configuration.  The volume held up, but the pub1.mdb
database was corrupted.  The backups had not caught this
file even though Open File backup was selected in the job.

The situation is:  I have a pub1.mdb file that will not
mount- I have tried browsing to it through the Exchange
System Manager and trying to mount it manually.  It says
that I have a corrupt database.  Because of the missed
backups, I am at a loss.

Is there any tool or any way to attempt to revive a
corrupt .mdb file??

Thanks,

Darren

Post by Darren Walke » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:03:08

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>This is embarassing, but a drive failed yesterday on our
>RAID configuration.  The volume held up, but the pub1.mdb
>database was corrupted.  The backups had not caught this
>file even though Open File backup was selected in the job.

>The situation is:  I have a pub1.mdb file that will not
>mount- I have tried browsing to it through the Exchange
>System Manager and trying to mount it manually.  It says
>that I have a corrupt database.  Because of the missed
>backups, I am at a loss.

>Is there any tool or any way to attempt to revive a
>corrupt .mdb file??

>Thanks,

>Darren
>.

Corrupt pub1.mdb - no backup file

Post by John Nas » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:57:16

Have you tried running eseutil against the DB and have it
repair it?  That would be the first thing to try of you
don't have a good backup...

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

Post by Darren Walke » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 02:00:52

eseutil with the /p parameter got it going
...now to fix that backup job!
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Have you tried running eseutil against the DB and have it
>repair it?  That would be the first thing to try of you
>don't have a good backup...

Post by J. Fremon » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 02:10:25

Open file backup software will not likely every give you
a good backup. I have never seen this work.  Is the maker
of the open file software claiming it will work?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>eseutil with the /p parameter got it going
>....now to fix that backup job!

Post by Enkid » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 11:00:43

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:33:52 -0700, "Darren Walker"

>This is embarassing, but a drive failed yesterday on our
>RAID configuration.  The volume held up, but the pub1.mdb
>database was corrupted.  The backups had not caught this
>file even though Open File backup was selected in the job.

>The situation is:  I have a pub1.mdb file that will not
>mount- I have tried browsing to it through the Exchange
>System Manager and trying to mount it manually.  It says
>that I have a corrupt database.  Because of the missed
>backups, I am at a loss.

>Is there any tool or any way to attempt to revive a
>corrupt .mdb file??

The database cannot be backup as a file backup. If you are using
NTBackup you will see an entry for the Information Store. This is what
you backup and restore if necessary.

If you are using another programto do the backup, it must be Exchange
aware.

Generally, if you select "backup everything", the Exchange Information
Store will be backed up properly. You may possibly have a good backup,
but not realise it!!

Cheers,

Cliff

that the * is working.

Corrupt pub1.mdb - no backup file

Post by Enkid » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 11:04:15

Please see my other post. The software that you use must be Exchange
aware, otherwise you will not get a good online backup. You COULD stop
the Exchange services, then do a file backup, but when you restore, it
may not work. And an online file backup or an offline backup will not
purge the logfiles, either.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:00:52 -0700, "Darren Walker"

>eseutil with the /p parameter got it going
>...now to fix that backup job!

that the * is working.

Corrupt pub1.mdb - no backup file

Post by David Sengupta [MVP » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 11:15:14

I would strongly recommend against stopping services for offline backup.
Get Exchange-aware backup software.

--
David Sengupta  M.T.S., MVP, MCSE, MCSE 2000, CCA    Ottawa, Canada
Exchange Diagnostics - Quest Spotlight on Exchange -

> Please see my other post. The software that you use must be Exchange
> aware, otherwise you will not get a good online backup. You COULD stop
> the Exchange services, then do a file backup, but when you restore, it
> may not work. And an online file backup or an offline backup will not
> purge the logfiles, either.

> Cheers,

> Cliff

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:00:52 -0700, "Darren Walker"

> >eseutil with the /p parameter got it going
> >...now to fix that backup job!

1. Corrupt pub1.mdb file - no recent backup

This is embarassing, but a drive failed yesterday on our
RAID configuration.  The volume held up, but the pub1.mdb
database was corrupted.  The backups had not caught this
file even though Open File backup was selected in the job.

The situation is:  I have a pub1.mdb file that will not
mount- I have tried browsing to it through the Exchange
System Manager and trying to mount it manually.  It says
that I have a corrupt database.  Because of the missed
backups, I am at a loss.

Is there any tool or any way to attempt to revive a
corrupt .mdb file??

Thanks,

Darren
.

2. LDAP Timeout

3. Exchange IS corrupted, no backup - How to create a new mdb files

4. Which Registry Key Needs To Be Set To Send Internet Mail

5. Broken into......backup of MDB file

6. No transportprovider.....

7. Multiple GAL's

8. pub1.edb are reporting as being corrupt

9. Recreating Pub1.edb & pub1.stm

10. how to move priv1.edb, priv1.stm, pub1.edb and pub1.stm

11. can not back up priv1.edb, priv1.stm, pub1.edb and pub1.stm