need urgent help with exchange 2000 down

need urgent help with exchange 2000 down

Post by Ro » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:46:26

The client has Windows 2000 server with Exchange 2000 and Proxy
server.
HD is partitioned to 4GB and 13GB.
They called me last month after the exchange went down.
Looking into the event viewer is reported HD full + other errors.
I clean partition C an moved most of the swap file to partition D.
Re-booting and everything was working fine.
I suggested that they will get the company that setup their exchange
to set it up correctly.
The client didn't follow my advise and Thursday night the exchange
went down again.
HD (partition C) was full again with 1 MB available.
I moved the rest of the swap file to D, but I only got 100MB free and
the exchange didn't work.
I had 1.5GB of log messages in the MDBdata folder.
I restarted in safe mode (all services are stopped) and moved this
logs to a folder on partition D.
I DID NOT move the EDB.log and EDB0000.log with are in the NT root.
This freed 1.5GB.
Rebooting the server and I don't ahve the HD full error, but the
exchange doesn't work.
Users who are trying to check their emails get the error message that
their folders are not polled.
Event viewer is showing DNS errors :
event id: 5774
Registration of DNS record'_kpasswd_udp. XXXXXX.com 600 in srv 0 100
464 proxy. XXXXXX.com' failed with the following error:
DNS server unable to interpret format
(XXXX,com is the client domain.)
this error repeats itself couple of time.
If the DNS has a problem that I guess ht exchange will not work.

Other error messages in the event viewer are:
Event ID: 101   source:w3svc
The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exadmin' for the
directory"\\BackofficeStorage' due tot eh following error: The system
can't find the path specified.The data is the error code

Event ID: 10005 Source:dcom
DCOM got error " The dependency service or group failed to start."
Attempting to start the service IISADMIN with arguments"" in order to
runt he server.
Any suggestions?
MS knowledge base about the 5774 error is not too helpful.

Thank you

--
Roy Wagner
MCSE, MCP+I

www.bestforless.net

need urgent help with exchange 2000 down

Post by Scott Schnoll [MVP » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:10:25

Hi Roy,

See if this helps:

1.    Stop the SMTP, NNTP, W3SVC and IIS Admin service.
2.    Enter the following commands at a command prompt:
        a.     ipconfig /flushdns
        b.     ipconfig /registerdns

3.    Start the Exchange services.

4.    Check to make sure the SMTP, NNTP, W3SVC and IIS Admin services are
started.

Check for events in the logs, and try a MAPI client.

Post back here if this does not solve the problem.

Hope this helps.
--
Regards,

Scott Schnoll, MCSE MCT MCP+I
Microsoft MVP
Exchange 2000 Server: The Complete Reference - ISBN 0072127392
Microsoft Cluster Server Center - www.nwnetworks.com/cluster.html
Internet Explorer Security Center - www.nwnetworks.com/iesc.html

Post by Ro » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 05:46:05

[...]

Post by Scott Schnoll [MVP » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 07:36:11

Roy,

Please see my answer to your question in this newsgroup.  Also, please don't
cross-post or multi-post your messages.
--
Regards,

Scott Schnoll, MCSE MCT MCP+I
Microsoft MVP
Exchange 2000 Server: The Complete Reference - ISBN 0072127392
Microsoft Cluster Server Center - www.nwnetworks.com/cluster.html
Internet Explorer Security Center - www.nwnetworks.com/iesc.html

> The client has Windows 2000 server with Exchange 2000 and Proxy
> server.
> HD is partitioned to 4GB and 13GB.
> They called me last month after the exchange went down.
> Looking into the event viewer is reported HD full + other errors.
> I clean partition C an moved most of the swap file to partition D.
> Re-booting and everything was working fine.
> I suggested that they will get the company that setup their exchange
> to set it up correctly.
> The client didn't follow my advise and Thursday night the exchange
> went down again.
> HD (partition C) was full again with 1 MB available.
> I moved the rest of the swap file to D, but I only got 100MB free and
> the exchange didn't work.
> I had 1.5GB of log messages in the MDBdata folder.
> I restarted in safe mode (all services are stopped) and moved this
> logs to a folder on partition D.
> I DID NOT move the EDB.log and EDB0000.log with are in the NT root.
> This freed 1.5GB.
> Rebooting the server and I don't ahve the HD full error, but the
> exchange doesn't work.
> Users who are trying to check their emails get the error message that
> their folders are not polled.
> Event viewer is showing DNS errors :
> event id: 5774
> Registration of DNS record'_kpasswd_udp. XXXXXX.com 600 in srv 0 100
> 464 proxy. XXXXXX.com' failed with the following error:
> DNS server unable to interpret format
> (XXXX,com is the client domain.)
> this error repeats itself couple of time.
> If the DNS has a problem that I guess ht exchange will not work.

> Other error messages in the event viewer are:
> Event ID: 101   source:w3svc
> The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exadmin' for the
> directory"\\BackofficeStorage' due tot eh following error: The system
> can't find the path specified.The data is the error code

> Event ID: 10005 Source:dcom
> DCOM got error " The dependency service or group failed to start."
> Attempting to start the service IISADMIN with arguments"" in order to
> runt he server.
> Any suggestions?
> MS knowledge base about the 5774 error is not too helpful.

> --
> Roy Wagner
> MCSE, MCP+I

> www.bestforless.net

1. Need urgent help with Exchange 2000 down

[...]

2. Authenticated SPAM Relay

3. Need an urgent help with Exchnage 2000 down

4. Outlook Hangs - HELP!

5. Urgent.......Help Needed...Urgent.......Help Needed...Urgent.......Help Needed...

6. Exchange 2000 and Workflow in OWA

7. evnet ID 4083 urgent, urgent, urgent......help, help....very urgent

8. How does local delivery (mailbox <-> mailbox) work ?

9. URGENT Installing OWA in a different site then localhost URGENT help needed

10. Exchange Server down....Need help