Q: How do I set up conference-room type resources?

Q: How do I set up conference-room type resources?

Post by Jeff Kowalczy » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I know this is a kind of RTFM question, but I honestly have, and I still
don't have a handle on it: How do I set up a series of rooms or equipment
that can be scheduled for meetings, and have a 'say' in the free/busy
equation to schedule said meetings?

Is the conference room or equipment an actual Exchange recipient/mailbox, or
is there a simpler abstraction for it?

Simplest example, I want three conference rooms, three meeting hosts, any
host can use any unscheduled room. Assistant to the hosts scedule the
meetings. Hosts have preference for but not are not limited to a given room.

What's my best model for that?
I'm going straight to Exchange 2000/ Outlook 2000 with this, so any features
specific to those versions are fine. Pocket Outlook would be nice for the
checking the sched and occasionally scheduling a meeting, but not if it
complicates the resource availability logic.

Q: How do I set up conference-room type resources?

Post by Chris Scharf » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>I know this is a kind of RTFM question, but I honestly have, and I still
>don't have a handle on it: How do I set up a series of rooms or equipment
>that can be scheduled for meetings, and have a 'say' in the free/busy
>equation to schedule said meetings?

>Is the conference room or equipment an actual Exchange recipient/mailbox, or
>is there a simpler abstraction for it?

>Simplest example, I want three conference rooms, three meeting hosts, any
>host can use any unscheduled room. Assistant to the hosts scedule the
>meetings. Hosts have preference for but not are not limited to a given room.

Well, my personal preference is to use Robert Strong's resource
booking script on a mailbox.. available from www.exchangecode.com (or
a variant thereof). But I have no idea of its Exchange2000
compatibility.

--
Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator

Be sure to read the Exchange FAQ:

Q: How do I set up conference-room type resources?

Post by Paul Schroe » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00

This will probably make you happy:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/exchange/cfsetup.htm
and
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/exchange/cfbook.htm

Paul

Quote:> I know this is a kind of RTFM question, but I honestly have, and I still
> don't have a handle on it: How do I set up a series of rooms or equipment
> that can be scheduled for meetings, and have a 'say' in the free/busy
> equation to schedule said meetings?

> Is the conference room or equipment an actual Exchange recipient/mailbox,
or
> is there a simpler abstraction for it?

> Simplest example, I want three conference rooms, three meeting hosts, any
> host can use any unscheduled room. Assistant to the hosts scedule the
> meetings. Hosts have preference for but not are not limited to a given
room.

> What's my best model for that?
> I'm going straight to Exchange 2000/ Outlook 2000 with this, so any
features
> specific to those versions are fine. Pocket Outlook would be nice for the
> checking the sched and occasionally scheduling a meeting, but not if it
> complicates the resource availability logic.

Q: How do I set up conference-room type resources?

Post by Jeff Kowalczy » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for that link. Final question, now that I've tried it. On Exchange
2000/ Outlook 2000/ ActiveDirectory, Would I be best off:

a) definining one 'conference room coordinator' user, and creating several
mailboxes representing each room's calendar, but all mailboxes of that one
AD user...

b) defining a straight one user, mailbox, calendar per conference room and
just manage them as an AD group and exchange role...

c) mysterious other way I haven't thought about.

To recap: I need a smallish number of conference rooms to be very tightly
scheduled (dozens of meetings per day), with automatic-acceptance booking of
any available room by a couple of coordinating assistants or my script code.

Q: How do I set up conference-room type resources?

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Give each calendar its own mailbox. That will allow users to "invite" it to
a meeting.
--
Sue Mosher
Author of

Quote:> Thanks for that link. Final question, now that I've tried it. On Exchange
> 2000/ Outlook 2000/ ActiveDirectory, Would I be best off:

> a) definining one 'conference room coordinator' user, and creating several
> mailboxes representing each room's calendar, but all mailboxes of that one
> AD user...

> b) defining a straight one user, mailbox, calendar per conference room and
> just manage them as an AD group and exchange role...

> c) mysterious other way I haven't thought about.

> To recap: I need a smallish number of conference rooms to be very tightly
> scheduled (dozens of meetings per day), with automatic-acceptance booking
of
> any available room by a couple of coordinating assistants or my script
code.

Q: How do I set up conference-room type resources?

Post by Jeff Kowalczy » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Do I want to have one Windows NT account and assign multiple Exchange
mailboxes to this one NT 'user'?

Quote:> Give each calendar its own mailbox. That will allow users to "invite" it
> a meeting.
> --
> Sue Mosher
> Author of
>   "Teach Yourself Microsoft Outlook 2000 Programming in 24 Hours"
>   "Microsoft Outlook 2000 E-mail and Fax Guide" (12/99)

Q: How do I set up conference-room type resources?

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

That's an efficient way to manage the mailboxes.
--

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:02:29

Give each calendar its own mailbox. That will allow users to "invite" it to
a meeting.
--
Sue Mosher
Author of
  "Teach Yourself Microsoft Outlook 2000 Programming in 24 Hours"
  "Microsoft Outlook 2000 E-mail and Fax Guide" (12/99)

Quote:> Thanks for that link. Final question, now that I've tried it. On Exchange
> 2000/ Outlook 2000/ ActiveDirectory, Would I be best off:

> a) definining one 'conference room coordinator' user, and creating several
> mailboxes representing each room's calendar, but all mailboxes of that one
> AD user...

> b) defining a straight one user, mailbox, calendar per conference room and
> just manage them as an AD group and exchange role...

> c) mysterious other way I haven't thought about.

> To recap: I need a smallish number of conference rooms to be very tightly
> scheduled (dozens of meetings per day), with automatic-acceptance booking
of
> any available room by a couple of coordinating assistants or my script
code.

1. Invite automatically a person for a specific conference room mailbox set as a resource

Dear all,

I'm trying to find a way to add someone to a Meeting each time a
conference room is booked. I've decided to use a server-side script
(CDO 1.2) that process each incoming Meeting messages that are posted
and accepted in the calendar folder (Sub Folder_OnMessageCreated
event) of the resource mailbox.
Did anyone manage to make it ? What is the best way to do it ? I tried
to log on (through CDO) to the meeting initiator mailbox and add the
default recipient that must be invited each time the resource is
booked but the problem is that I bumbed into a serie of problem that
makes me more and more think that there is an easier and better way to
do it. Do anyone of you have a sample script or suggestion that could
help me go the right way ? I ve tried too to process the
EventDetails.MessageID but unfortunately it returns a message object
instead of an AppointmentItem object (as stated in Q243387) so I'm bit
stuck.

Thank in advance for your precious help because I m still learning the
CDO object model.

Best Regards,
Martial Millioud

2. Routing

3. Setting Up Resources like Conference Rooms in an Exchange 2000 / Outlook 2000 environment

4. Exchange smtp gateway configurations

5. Exchange 5.5 Connect to another mail server to recive mail from that!

6. Setting up conference rooms as resources

7. form validation

8. Resources, How create Resources for conference rooms

9. How to add a resource (e.g conference room) to Exchange

10. Conference Room/Resource Mailboxes

11. Exchange Resources - Conference Rooms Not Possible?

12. How to add a resource (e.g conference room) to Exchange