Erratic "free disk space"

Post by Marc van Doorni » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 02:30:03

Hello!

For some reason, when I right-click "C:" in Win95 Explorer, the "Used
Space" is somewhere in the 685 MB region. However, when I select all files
and folders on C: and check their properties, the total size is about 418
MB. What is wrong? Or better: which is right? I have the system show hidden
files, but still, it makes no sense. Many thanks beforehand,

Marc van Doornik - The Netherlands

Erratic "free disk space"

Post by Ramble » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:41:01

Quote:> Hello!

> For some reason, when I right-click "C:" in Win95 Explorer, the "Used
> Space" is somewhere in the 685 MB region. However, when I select all files
> and folders on C: and check their properties, the total size is about 418
> MB. What is wrong? Or better: which is right? I have the system show
hidden
> files, but still, it makes no sense. Many thanks beforehand,

> Marc van Doornik - The Netherlands

> --

Both are right - the disk properties in explorer show the space
corresponding to the number of clusters (allocation units) used. The sum of
all files and folders simply shows the sum of the file sizes. If you
right-click on a file in explorer, and click "properties", you'll see two
figures, file size and bytes used. it's the latter which shows how much
actual disk space the file occupies.

For example, a 1Gb FAT16 partition on my PC has a 16K cluster size, so a 1
byte file occupies 16K of disk space. On my 3.7Gb FAT32 partition, the same
file would occupy only 2K, as that is the cluster size.

The difference between (sum of all files in bytes) and (no. of clusters used
by files) is known as "slack", and shows how space-efficient your drives
are. FAT16 is inherently less space-efficient than FAT32 or NTFS.

From: Rambler

--------------------------------

Erratic "free disk space"

Post by Bruce Chamber » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:30:29

Greetings --

    The difference is what is called "slack" space.  Your hard drive is
divided into clusters, the size of which depends upon your file system and
the size chosen during the drive's initial configuration.  If a filed saved
to the hard drive does not occupy the entire cluster (Most files will
actually occupy several entire clusters, and a portion of one, as files are
rarely the exact size needed to fit into one or more clusters without
something left over.) part of the cluster is left unoccupied.  But because a
portion of the cluster is occupied with a file (or a portion of a file), the
remainder of it's space cannot be used by any other files.  Hence, the
amount of space used, or, more accurately, unavailable for other use, will
differ from the actual sum of the file sizes.

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers

You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on having
both at once.  -- RAH

: Hello!
:
: For some reason, when I right-click "C:" in Win95 Explorer, the "Used
: Space" is somewhere in the 685 MB region. However, when I select all files
: and folders on C: and check their properties, the total size is about 418
: MB. What is wrong? Or better: which is right? I have the system show
hidden
: files, but still, it makes no sense. Many thanks beforehand,
:
: Marc van Doornik - The Netherlands
:
: --
: Posted via CNET Help.com
: http://www.help.com/

1. CD "free space" and "used space"

I have a Windows XP Home Edition machine with a Samsung CD-RW/DVD combo
drive.  When I write files to a CD, the "free space" and used space" fields
in the CD Drive Properties are completely inaccurate.

The "free space" and "used space" fields always add up correctly to the
"capacity" but the "capacity" seems to vary depending on the last file I
wrote.  Sometimes it's 80MB and sometimes it's 400MB.

Has anyone experienced this?

2. Unwanted links in Favorites

3. "To Free Up Disk Space OE Can Compact...."

4. Direct Draw?

5. Manually compact folders but still get "To free up disc space.." message on closing

6. Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messneger

7. can not copy "There is not enough free disk space."

8. GIF, PCX etc to ICO - where to ftp?

9. How do I clean "free" disk space in XP?

10. Can't install "error" disk full with 55 gb free space .?

11. Disabling "SytemRestore", does not free disk space.

12. "Windows explorer" "Status bar" doesn't show "free space" for removable disks !?

13. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||