Eliminating help in Win95

Post by Laurie Fergus » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am tasked with setting up secure public access workstations in the
front end of our government  office (for resume writing, etc).  My
problem is that while I have done a fairly good job of securing them
with Norton, Guardian, and Policy Editor I still have a gaping
security hole in the form of the help item on the start button.  I
have disabled/hidded the help files but this button's continued
presence allows a user to try to find the help files and thus see the
hard drive.  Is there anyway I can make the help button go away (I
have already eliminated the run item on the start menu)?

Thank you in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

Eliminating help in Win95

Post by Pete Barre » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I am tasked with setting up secure public access workstations in the
>front end of our government  office (for resume writing, etc).  My
>problem is that while I have done a fairly good job of securing them
>with Norton, Guardian, and Policy Editor I still have a gaping
>security hole in the form of the help item on the start button.  I
>have disabled/hidded the help files but this button's continued
>presence allows a user to try to find the help files and thus see the
>hard drive.  Is there anyway I can make the help button go away (I
>have already eliminated the run item on the start menu)?

>Thank you in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

Perhaps if you _don't_ hide the help files (or at least, not the main Win95
one)? If I click Help on the Start menu on this system, all I get is the Help
file, with no obvious way to browse the hard disk.

Pete Barrett

Eliminating help in Win95

Post by Snakema » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Unless you have relocated the help files, this should not occur.
If you have, then clicking on help and finding them just once should
prevent the problem from occurring.
Killing winhelp.exe would also prevent a disk search, but this would be
doing the users a disservice.

Win95 is extremely slipshod as a multiuser OS and has more security holes
than can ever be effectively filled without an *enormous* expenditure of
time. If at all possible, I would recommend switching over to NT where
security is an integral part of the OS itself, and not slapped together as
an afterthought as in 95.

--
Email Spammers: Welcome to Hell *IF* you make it past my procmail filter.
29 Accounts Terminated. 1 job termination. Do you really want to be next??

Problems getting through to me?? See http://www.*comm.net/~snakeman

Eliminating help in Win95

Post by Andrew Coop » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>>I am tasked with setting up secure public access workstations in the
>>front end of our government  office (for resume writing, etc).  My
>>problem is that while I have done a fairly good job of securing them
>>with Norton, Guardian, and Policy Editor I still have a gaping
>>security hole in the form of the help item on the start button.  I
>>have disabled/hidded the help files but this button's continued
>>presence allows a user to try to find the help files and thus see the
>>hard drive.  Is there anyway I can make the help button go away (I
>>have already eliminated the run item on the start menu)?

>>Thank you in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

>Perhaps if you _don't_ hide the help files (or at least, not the main Win95
>one)? If I click Help on the Start menu on this system, all I get is the Help
>file, with no obvious way to browse the hard disk.

>Pete Barrett

        This is the sort of naivity which hackers prey on. How about
Help | Troubleshooting | ... Hardware Conflict | Yes... -- and hey
presto, I get access to device manager and can change hardware
settings, swap file etc.!

1. Eliminating Win95 Password Prompt

After enabling multiple user id's in win95, and then disabling it, I
still get a password prompt
at boot up and when I connect to my isp. I didn't get the prompt before
this, and even though all I have to do is hit escape, it still annoys
me. Is there a way to get rid of it?

2. Compact database file??

3. Printing from Win95 to a Netware 4.1/Eliminating the Banner

4. long pause before dialup dialog pops up

5. Eliminate the Win95 login

6. WinXP will not auto Standby -- manual works fine

7. how to eliminate x-sender in eudora 3.05 for win95

8. Vortex 2

9. How to eliminate users in win95

10. Need info on writing VB add-ins in VC++ on Win95

11. clash with DUN WIN95 peer to peer / HELP HELP HELP HELP

12. Eliminating dual boot... Help!!

13. help eliminate pop up without buying program