Using a news server via a proxy or socks server... possible?

Using a news server via a proxy or socks server... possible?

Post by Gerry Stellenbe » Sat, 11 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I would like to be able to read news from a news server which is not
local to my domain.  To do this, I'll need to get there via either my
http proxy host or my socks server.  Netscape does not have an obvious
option that can be set up to do this.

Can this be done?

Thank you all very much.

- Gerry

1. Outbound PPTP via Ms Proxy Server from a Proxy client? .

I use a four-computer intranet at home:  an NT4 server PDC, an NT4 client
and two Win95 clients.  The server hosts Ms Proxy Server and owns the modem
and ISP connection.  All clients use the Proxy server for all internet
access.  Since my intranet hosts no services that are shared on the
internet, all inbound services (www, ftp, etc.) are disabled.  Packet
forwarding is disabled to.  I'd like to keep it that way.

I want to use PPTP to connect to my employer's intranet from my NT
workstation.  I have installed PPTP and configured a VPN port.  I have
created a RAS entry with the at-work PPTP server's IP address.  But I'm
stuck on the question of how to get this RAS connection to hook up through
the proxy server.

It appears I need to add a protocol in the WWW proxy service.  Does anyone
know the details of this protocol or where I can find them?

Thanks.
John T. Keimig

2. Problems with Cirrus Logic 1MB under Win3.11

3. cache News server (news cache-"proxy") on demand... will DNews suit?

4. OT: Wolfenstein

5. Apache Proxy Server within a intranet in front of a proxy server with firewall

6. Notification Panel

7. How do I find the proxy server when I am using a proxy.pac file

8. IE issues

9. Proxy and server socks

10. Socks Proxy Server

11. SOCKS/Proxy server for NT??

12. Proxy Server wanted (SOCKS for NT?)

13. Netscape 'No proxy for' config and Socks server