Installing NT4 on HX & TX chipsets....

Post by A. Rodrigu » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I'm planning to upgrade my system in a few weeks.   This new system
will consist of either the HX or TX chip set coupled with a 233mhz K6.
I want to use a Quantum Ultra DMA/33 3.2gig drive if I choose a TX
based Motherboard (or HX with a Promise Ultra33).

Questions....
1) Have any of you NT4 users that tried to install NT on either of
these chip sets encounter any problems??

2)  Does NT recognize the TX or HX chip set by itself or does it
require some user intervention to install??

3)  Any recommendations on which Mother boards work best in a NT
environment running on a K6 233mhz??

4)  I need to enable the PlugNPlay driver in NT to install my AVM Apex
sound board.  Will this cause any problems with the motherboard.  It
works fine now in my Pentium 60(non plugNPlay system)..

I have searched high and low for information on this subject with
little success.  I know that the HX and especially the TX chip sets
were released after NT4 shipped.  It would seem that these PlugNPlay
aware mother boards may run into some problems with NT.  Some have
suggested using a HX board coupled with the Promise Ultra33 controller
and skip the TX.

I'm aware of the need for the busmaster drivers to fully use the TX
chip set with NT.   I also know about the Cache limits of the TX chip
set (this is leaning me to the HX)....  The benefit of SDRAM seem so
limited that I can't see the justification for spending the extra $$
on a technology that will most likely pass like EDO (I'm not going to
OC)...

Installing NT4 on HX & TX chipsets....

Post by James Davi » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm planning to upgrade my system in a few weeks.   This new system
>will consist of either the HX or TX chip set coupled with a 233mhz K6.
>I want to use a Quantum Ultra DMA/33 3.2gig drive if I choose a TX
>based Motherboard (or HX with a Promise Ultra33).

>Questions....
>1) Have any of you NT4 users that tried to install NT on either of
>these chip sets encounter any problems??

Hi,

I'm not an "NT Expert" (Is there such a person ?), but I very recently
(two weeks ago) purchased a Gigabyte 586-HX board which uses the HX
Chipset (I have not intention of upgrading to a DMA/33 at the present
time hence the reason for not bothering with the TX Chipset........(I'm
currently running a Intel P120 - With any luck my Intel P200MMX will be
on the doorstep in the next hour - yes really !), so I'll let you know
how that goes.  Incidentally I'm running NT4 with SP3....

Quote:

>2)  Does NT recognize the TX or HX chip set by itself or does it
>require some user intervention to install??

I didn't have to do a thing, so I guess the HAL (Hardware Abstraction
Layer/s) sort this out automatically.  I DID have to re-install NT after
putting in the new board, so.......

Quote:

>3)  Any recommendations on which Mother boards work best in a NT
>environment running on a K6 233mhz??

The Gigabyte 586-HX works with this chip and it's not an expensive board
(Check out www.gigabyte.com or www.gigabyte.com.tw).

Quote:

>4)  I need to enable the PlugNPlay driver in NT to install my AVM Apex
>sound board.  Will this cause any problems with the motherboard.  It
>works fine now in my Pentium 60(non plugNPlay system)..

I Can't see this causing problems, but I'm sure other people will be
able to help you a bit more on this subject....

Quote:

>I have searched high and low for information on this subject with
>little success.  I know that the HX and especially the TX chip sets
>were released after NT4 shipped.  It would seem that these PlugNPlay
>aware mother boards may run into some problems with NT.  Some have
>suggested using a HX board coupled with the Promise Ultra33 controller
>and skip the TX.

Best place to go (I did BEFORE I purchased the board) is TOM'S HARDWARE
GUIDE (go to www.scan.co.uk - It's under software/patches of the main
page).  This guy has a Chipset, Motherboard, Processor Guide, each go
into the pros and cons of each system.........

Quote:

>I'm aware of the need for the busmaster drivers to fully use the TX
>chip set with NT.   I also know about the Cache limits of the TX chip
>set (this is leaning me to the HX)....  The benefit of SDRAM seem so
>limited that I can't see the justification for spending the extra $$
>on a technology that will most likely pass like EDO (I'm not going to
>OC)...

As I say I'm not planning on running DMA/33 yet, but the Cacheable RAM
(512Mb instead of 64Mb), the Possibility of running Dual-Processors, the
fact I'll skip Pentium Pro and go straight to Pentium II (or whatever is
current in a year or so !) AND the fact that SDRAM is a little quicker
but IMHO the price/MB/Performance does not make too much difference to
me....made me go for HX over TX.......

Hope this gives you some ideas ?

All the best,
James

Installing NT4 on HX & TX chipsets....

Post by James Sh » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I'm using NT 4.0 on one of the new Asus TX97 motherborads with no problems
whatsoever. In fact NT just screams with speed. I found more
incompatibilites with Windows 95 than NT!

_____________________________
" few true cares have i as the world turns round ...
... too few cares have i as the world turns sour ... " DG HW

1. TX Chipset caching limit

I know this has been discussed here and elsewere before, but i've heard a
zillion different answers. I have an asus tx97-x with 64mb sdram installed.
If i go above this limit(say, to 128mb) will my performance actually
downgrade or what? I'm running nt 4.0 and yes, the extra memory will
actually be used(at least some it). The fact that i have extra memory being
used(thus reduced paging to disk) will improve performance, even if the
extra memory isn't being cached? Correct?
On intel's website they say that they don't recommend adding more than 64mb
on vx + tx chipsets. This comment just makes me more confused.

Comments? Has anyone running an  tx m/b added more than 64mb? What were the
results? Anybody done this running nt 4.0?

2. Laptops have trouble playing

3. TX chipset, memory probs

4. Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem driver needed

5. TX Chipset

6. USB Drives

7. NT, 128MB ram and Intel TX chipset? HELP!

8. i have a "comm control" problem

9. Intel TX chipset

10. 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)

11. nt4 dun && ascend && zyx omni.net

12. Via Chipsets & SP2 Issues

13. NT4 and Gigabyte TX motherboard