WIN95 & Dial-up SLIP: How to set it to NOT DIAL and DISCONNECT?

WIN95 & Dial-up SLIP: How to set it to NOT DIAL and DISCONNECT?

Post by Dave Pfromm » Mon, 22 May 1995 04:00:00

I have the Win95 Preview... and I have a normal shell account with
a SLIP emulation software (tia).

Currently, I use a separate terminal program (Procomm) to call up and log into
my host machine.  I do some character based work, but when I want to enable
the slip connection, I just run tia and get out of procomm plus without
* up the line.  Then, I run Trumpet Winsock and I'm in slip..

I'd like to use the Win95 Dial Up Networking, but the problem that I've run
into is that it wants to hang up the line and dial up the host and  have me
log in again. Then, when it's done, it hangs up the line.

Is there any way for it to just start the slip emulator without having to
dial and disconnect? (similar to what trumpet winsock offers)

Thanks in advance..

Dave Pfrommer

Post by William Charnel » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

>I have the Win95 Preview... and I have a normal shell account with
>a SLIP emulation software (tia).

[ stuff deleted ]

>Is there any way for it to just start the slip emulator without having to
>dial and disconnect? (similar to what trumpet winsock offers)

I have a similar but slightly different problem:

I have access to a PPP connection, but it is on a call-back
mechanism; I call the provider and log in and then get
called back (for security reasons). The problem with this
is that the modem has to drop the line to get called back,
which drops carrier detect which causes W95 to abort the
dial-up and try again from the start. Hence I, too, would like
to know if I can do the entire dial-up process using a
terminal package (including having the provider dail me back)
and then hand over the completed connection to the W95 PPP.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

William Charnell

Post by Al Lilianstr » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

> I have access to a PPP connection, but it is on a call-back
> mechanism; I call the provider and log in and then get
> called back (for security reasons). The problem with this
> is that the modem has to drop the line to get called back,
> which drops carrier detect which causes W95 to abort the
> dial-up and try again from the start. Hence I, too, would like
> to know if I can do the entire dial-up process using a
> terminal package (including having the provider dail me back)
> and then hand over the completed connection to the W95 PPP.

Try the following. Worked for me. I had to clear out all the previous
configuration changes I had made with a AT&F before this would work.

*********

Try the modem command AT&C0 (in Dial-Up Networking - Properties - Configure -
Connections - Advanced - Extra Settings).  This keeps the Carrier Detect
signal high even if there is no carrier.  It worked in my case (a SLIP
callback setup).
---

**********

                        al

--

Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory       (708)840-2028
Computing Division PC Support Group         (708)840-2783 - FAX

WIN95 & Dial-up SLIP: How to set it to NOT DIAL and DISCONNECT?

Post by Larry Jam » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a similar but slightly different problem:

> I have access to a PPP connection, but it is on a call-back
> mechanism; I call the provider and log in and then get
> called back (for security reasons). The problem with this
> is that the modem has to drop the line to get called back,
> which drops carrier detect which causes W95 to abort the
> dial-up and try again from the start. Hence I, too, would like
> to know if I can do the entire dial-up process using a
> terminal package (including having the provider dail me back)
> and then hand over the completed connection to the W95 PPP.

     I've seen a number of questions on this matter.  A lot of users
seem to have a problem with the dial-up modem network requiring some
dial mechanism.
     It seems that it would be a simple matter for the powers-that-be to
set some type of manual dial-up and log in, then leave the F7 to continue
option left open.
     This is my appeal to the Windows 95 developers to either respond
and say it doesn't exist yet, or to tell us how to do it.
     If it's impossible in the current state, I hope the developers will
see the need and soon implement it.
      Many are asking questions, but no one is answering.
      How about so feed back on the matter from anyone that knows.

                                -- Larry

Larry James  716-896-1815 FAX 716-685-1865x550 Voice  Buffalo, New York

WIN95 & Dial-up SLIP: How to set it to NOT DIAL and DISCONNECT?

Post by Larry Jam » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

 > > I have access to a PPP connection, but it is on a call-back
 > > mechanism; I call the provider and log in and then get
 > > called back (for security reasons). The problem with this
 > > is that the modem has to drop the line to get called back,
 > > which drops carrier detect which causes W95 to abort the
 > > dial-up and try again from the start. Hence I, too, would like
 > > to know if I can do the entire dial-up process using a
 > > terminal package (including having the provider dail me back)
 > > and then hand over the completed connection to the W95 PPP.

 > Try the following. Worked for me. I had to clear out all the previous
 > configuration changes I had made with a AT&F before this would work.

 > *********

 > Try the modem command AT&C0 (in Dial-Up Networking - Properties -
 > Configure -
 > Connections - Advanced - Extra Settings).  This keeps the Carrier Detect
 > signal high even if there is no carrier.  It worked in my case (a SLIP
 > callback setup).

     I have a directly connected serial port to my Unix slip box.  Every
thing I try gives errors.  I get a dial-up failure error.
     Do you have any suggestions on any type of work-around I could
use?

                                -- Larry

Larry James  716-896-1815 FAX 716-685-1865x550 Voice  Buffalo, New York

WIN95 & Dial-up SLIP: How to set it to NOT DIAL and DISCONNECT?

Post by Bob Ki » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>     I have a directly connected serial port to my Unix slip box.  Every
>thing I try gives errors.  I get a dial-up failure error.
>     Do you have any suggestions on any type of work-around I could
>use?

Are you using a null-modem cable?  If not, then the computer is looking for
some signals coming from a modem that a computer does not provide.

Quote:

>                                -- Larry
>--

Cheers!
Bob K

Karmic Collection Agency - We'll take what you've got coming!

Post by Larry Jam » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> > I have a similar but slightly different problem:

> > I have access to a PPP connection, but it is on a call-back
> > mechanism; I call the provider and log in and then get
> > called back (for security reasons). The problem with this
> > is that the modem has to drop the line to get called back,
> > which drops carrier detect which causes W95 to abort the
> > dial-up and try again from the start. Hence I, too, would like
> > to know if I can do the entire dial-up process using a
> > terminal package (including having the provider dail me back)
> > and then hand over the completed connection to the W95 PPP.
>      I've seen a number of questions on this matter.  A lot of users
> seem to have a problem with the dial-up modem network requiring some
> dial mechanism.
>      It seems that it would be a simple matter for the powers-that-be to
> set some type of manual dial-up and log in, then leave the F7 to continue
> option left open.
>      This is my appeal to the Windows 95 developers to either respond
> and say it doesn't exist yet, or to tell us how to do it.
>      If it's impossible in the current state, I hope the developers will
> see the need and soon implement it.
>       Many are asking questions, but no one is answering.
>       How about so feed back on the matter from anyone that knows.

     Microsoft.  I'm getting a lot of questions in email about this
matter concerning the dial-up.  This seems to have been a very serious
oversight on your part.  I don't know of any other application using the
Modem that will not allow you to maintain a connection that is already
established.  I'm trying to think of the best description to be sure you
understand the flaw.  However, I'm sure you can get the gist from the
thread above.
     Some of your users use CALLBACK for security purposes.  Because
your dial requires a none connection before it will start to work, these
customers of yours can't use your dial-up network.
     In my case, I have a direct link to a Unix site that's always
connected to the Internet.  I can't use this resource because it's
already connected to the port and your dial-up will not start the process
unless there's no connect.
     While writing this article, I just got an email from another user
inquiring if I found a solution.  The user suggested that it would seem
like there would be a NULL MODEM option such as with Winsock (and just
about any other package he's used).  If the programmers are having
problems figuring out a way to implement this, to include a NULL MODEM
device as an option would be a starting point.
     The user moved back to Trumpet.  This is all that would work for
him.  I'm still using Windows 95 Dial-up.  However it's extremely
expensive since I can't use the Port that's already connected 24 hours a
day.  I'm sure you know that business lines are charged by the minute,
not to mention having to tie up a phone line when it shouldn't be
necessary.  A NULL MODEM transfer could be many times faster than having
to got thought the telephone where this option exists.
     I'm trying to use any words that will inspire the developers to
make a comment.  If they notice this article, I'm sure there could
hardly be any other comment except for, pardon them for the oversight,
and they will include this in the next build.
     If anyone else know of a different avenue to having this problem
addressed, please advise.
     Considering the feedback I've received in email, there's a lot of
interest in this facility.  Seems the mature users are not flooding this
group with a lot of "me too" messages.  But I almost wish more would
post here in conjunction with your inquires to me so that the developers
will see the need.
     Finally, if a third party knows how to fool the dial-up network to
thinking that it's dialing so that we can use the port directly, please
past this on to us.

                                -- Larry

                                -- Larry

Larry James  716-896-1815 FAX 716-685-1865x550 Voice  Buffalo, New York

WIN95 & Dial-up SLIP: How to set it to NOT DIAL and DISCONNECT?

Post by Brian E Soderbl » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>     While writing this article, I just got an email from another user
>inquiring if I found a solution.  The user suggested that it would seem
>like there would be a NULL MODEM option such as with Winsock (and just
>about any other package he's used).  If the programmers are having
>problems figuring out a way to implement this, to include a NULL MODEM
>device as an option would be a starting point.

An interm fix would be for Microsoft (or someone) to write a NULL.INF
modem configuration file.  I've looked at it, but I don't have access
to any specifications to the contents of an INF file.

Quote:>     The user moved back to Trumpet.  This is all that would work for
>him.

I'm the other user he's talking about.  Trumpet seems to have some
compatability problems with Win95, as far as I can tell.

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

>Larry James  716-896-1815 FAX 716-685-1865x550 Voice  Buffalo, New York

--

WIN95 & Dial-up SLIP: How to set it to NOT DIAL and DISCONNECT?

Post by woodc.. » Sun, 11 Jun 1995 04:00:00

You have a problem with call back dialling into NT RAS from win95?

Are you certain it isn't a modem problem. Worked perfectly first time
for me..........

David

1. XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing

I use "Connect to SBC Yahoo" to connect to the Internet with telephone modem
dial-up.
XP "Dial-up Connection" window keeps popping up every time I attempt to
connect and I have to make a couple clicks to make it not appear..
Today I CHECKED or UNCHECKED some blocks in "Dial-up Connection" and now it
doesn't pop up BUT "Dial-up Connection" STARTS DIALING AUTOMATICALLY THE
MINUTE I TURN MY COMPUTER ON.  IT NEVER IS ABLE TO CONNECT (because I have
to use "connect to SBC yahoo" to connect) BUT DIALS OVER AND OVER AND OVER
AND OVER.  EVEN WHEN I AM TALKING ON THE TELEPHONE IT TRIES AND TRIES TO
DIAL.
I have tried several measures but the problem still exists.  I have the 1245
page book  "Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out" by Ed Bott and Carl Siechert
BUT I CANNOT FIND A SOLUTION.  I cannot find a solution in XP Help and
Support.
Thanks for your assistance.
With much thanks,
Earl Brant

2. files being downloaded are copied accross all user accounts?

3. Win95 & SLIP Dial-up question

4. can't uninstall norton utilities 2002 after upgraed

5. Dialing different numbers with win95 & slip

6. Storage card in PCket PC 2002 emulator?

7. Will Win95's dial-up (SLIP/PPP) use a hosts file?

8. Swap Space

9. Win95 Gold: SLIP/PPP/TIA Dial-Up Networking

10. problem with modem, win95, dial-up slip

11. Win95 & PPP & Dial-Up Networking

12. Dial-in / Dial-Up / Call back question Win NT <-> Win95.

13. Dial-up networking win95: skip the automatic dialing?