XP - Win98se networking problem with DSL

XP - Win98se networking problem with DSL

Post by WindowsXP-h » Sat, 11 Oct 2003 05:44:39

Really exhausted troubleshooting this prob.  I have combed the 98 netwoking
newsgroup posts, practrically networked webpages and Netgear webpages for a
fix, but find no fix, so far.  Here is the scenario.....

I have three machines connected through a Netgear MR814 router, two are
wireless the other cabled  .

Dell Inspiron 4150 with a truemobile wireless card running..... WinXPhe
Dell Optiplex Gx1 cabled running..... Win98SE
Gateway Profile with a Belkin USB wireless adapter running.... Win98SE

Internet access is via DSL service provider
All computers have current Windows OS service releases and patches applied
All machines have ZoneAlarm freeware edition configured to allow these
machines and router access

For weeks I have been trying to fix this prob...
When all machines are running, the Win98SE boxes can file share
The XP machine is a now-you-see-it-now-you-don't workgroup member.
Sometimes it appears in my net neighborhood, most often doesn't, until
recently.  The XP can "see" other members in the workgroup but not access
them.

So today, I disconnected the DSL line and shut down Zonealarm firewall on
all machines.  Everyone gets along with each other.  All can see and all can
share.  Okay, I suspect Zonealarm.  I remove and re-add the XP via IP
address.  Launch Zonealarm on all boxes.  Everyone is still happy.... Hmmmm.
I reconnect the DSL line... XP starts acting up again.. can be seen... then
can't be seen.... can be seen again.. no access.. XP may or may not see the
Win98se boxes.  The only change I make is to unplug on plug in the DSL line.

Can someone explain logically what is happening.  Why does only XP drop from
the happy camp when the DSL line is connected.  All machines have always
reliably connected to the web over the DSL connection.  But for some reason
it throws a wrench in my file sharing and even recognition of the XP member.
Find computer or \\theXPmachine addressing never sees it out there ONLY WHEN
DSL is connected.

Thanks.  I need a rest from this one.   lol

Post by Steve Winograd [MVP » Sun, 12 Oct 2003 01:07:07

>Really exhausted troubleshooting this prob.  I have combed the 98 netwoking
>newsgroup posts, practrically networked webpages and Netgear webpages for a
>fix, but find no fix, so far.  Here is the scenario.....

>I have three machines connected through a Netgear MR814 router, two are
>wireless the other cabled  .

>Dell Inspiron 4150 with a truemobile wireless card running..... WinXPhe
>Dell Optiplex Gx1 cabled running..... Win98SE
>Gateway Profile with a Belkin USB wireless adapter running.... Win98SE

>Internet access is via DSL service provider
>All computers have current Windows OS service releases and patches applied
>All machines have ZoneAlarm freeware edition configured to allow these
>machines and router access

>For weeks I have been trying to fix this prob...
>When all machines are running, the Win98SE boxes can file share
>The XP machine is a now-you-see-it-now-you-don't workgroup member.
>Sometimes it appears in my net neighborhood, most often doesn't, until
>recently.  The XP can "see" other members in the workgroup but not access
>them.

>So today, I disconnected the DSL line and shut down Zonealarm firewall on
>all machines.  Everyone gets along with each other.  All can see and all can
>share.  Okay, I suspect Zonealarm.  I remove and re-add the XP via IP
>address.  Launch Zonealarm on all boxes.  Everyone is still happy.... Hmmmm.
>I reconnect the DSL line... XP starts acting up again.. can be seen... then
>can't be seen.... can be seen again.. no access.. XP may or may not see the
>Win98se boxes.  The only change I make is to unplug on plug in the DSL line.

>Can someone explain logically what is happening.  Why does only XP drop from
>the happy camp when the DSL line is connected.  All machines have always
>reliably connected to the web over the DSL connection.  But for some reason
>it throws a wrench in my file sharing and even recognition of the XP member.
>Find computer or \\theXPmachine addressing never sees it out there ONLY WHEN
>DSL is connected.

>Thanks.  I need a rest from this one.   lol

Make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled, not default, on XP:

1. Open the Network Connections folder.
2. Right click the local area network connection and click Properties.
3. Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
4. Click Advanced.
5. Click WINS.
6. Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button.

It might help to prevent XP from becoming the browse master for the
network:

1. Right click My Computer, and click Manage.
2. Double click Services and Applications.
3. Double click Services.
4. Double click Computer Browser.  If the Service status is Started,
click Stop.
5. Set the Startup type to Disabled.

If those steps don't solve the problem, please reply to this message
in the news group (not by E-mail) with more information to help other
people understand the problem.

How does XP "see" the other computers?  How do you try to access them
from XP?  What exactly happens when you do it?  What does the error
message say?

Can XP ping the other computers by their computer names?  Can it ping
them by their IP addresses?
--
Best Wishes,

for everyone to see.  I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

1. Weird networking problem (Win98SE, NT4, ICS, DSL)

(Deja has been taken over by Google, so I could not follow up from the thread)

I had the same problem - Win98SE running main connection to ADSL modem, two
NICS, ICS, NT4 Server laptop as the client, but the two PCs could not see each
other's files.

A temporary solution I found was to remove the DSL modem's straight-through
cable from the NIC and put the laptop's crossover cable into the first NIC.

I have ZoneAlarm running on the 98SE machine (Medium Security on local network)
but it did not have any role to play in this problem or the solution.

Subject: Re: Weird networking problem
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking
Date: 2001-01-28 20:40:04 PST

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunatly, none of this helped.
HOWEVER, in the process of testing this, I discoverd that there was a
brief period, while the 98SE client was booting, that I could
succesfully ping its IP address from the server.

So, I stepped through the entire load process (ctrl-F8), but that
didn't help.  the IP connection didn't start ot work until after the
last driver (msmouse) loaded, and then it died before the logon prompt
came up.

So I removed everything from my startup folder, and unchecked almost
everything in the system configuration utility / startup list.  TCP/IP
WORKS!!! I can ping the server from the client, and vice versa.
Unfortunately, I can no longer connect to the internet from that
client.  But at least I can start adding things back in until I figure
out what breaks it.

Thanks again,

Bob

2. RoboDUN, SLIP & Win95

3. WinXP Pro / Win98SE networked together with DSL router

4. Segment load failure

5. Problem with Networking Win XP Pro Host with Win98SE Clients

6. con.* files - huh?

7. XP network setup wizard problem on Win98SE

8. 5 minute Bootup after GUI Up

9. XP to WIN98SE Networking Problem

10. Network Printing Poblems - XP Prof, Win98SE, XP Home

11. Problems Networking WinXP with Win98se

12. Problem with WinME-Win98SE network

13. Coax Network and Win98se Internet Sharing Problem