Rebooting Win98se Host from Client

Post by Damaeu » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:07:39

We're about to move and where we're moving we'll have a host computer in one
bedroom and the client computer in another bedroom.  Both have Windows 98
Second Edition.  I'm online a lot during the night and sometimes the host
machine needs a reboot.  Is there any way to send a command to the host
machine to restart Windows?

On rare occasions the program I'm using to share the internet connection
gives me a blue screen, but it's not that common.  I know I probably
couldn't reboot a blue screen, but perhaps just a reboot from across the
network.

I know there's a way to put an icon on the desktop to initiate a reboot, but
I don't think it would work across a network.  Seems like I've tried making
shortcuts to image files across a network and they didn't work, but I could
be mistaken.

My sister wouldn't appreciate it too much if I barge into her bedroom at 3
in the morning to reboot her computer.

BTW, I already have TweakUI set up to automatically log into the network so
that's not a problem.  Of course, sometimes it doesn't work, but that's a
whole 'nother problem.

Thanks for the advice,
Damaeus

Rebooting Win98se Host from Client

Post by Yoshi Ib » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 05:04:45

There's a freeware called RShutdown that does it on 95/98/NT:

http://boris.qub.ac.uk/~matt/rshutdown.zip

Quote:> We're about to move and where we're moving we'll have a host computer in
one
> bedroom and the client computer in another bedroom.  Both have Windows 98
> Second Edition.  I'm online a lot during the night and sometimes the host
> machine needs a reboot.  Is there any way to send a command to the host
> machine to restart Windows?

> On rare occasions the program I'm using to share the internet connection
> gives me a blue screen, but it's not that common.  I know I probably
> couldn't reboot a blue screen, but perhaps just a reboot from across the
> network.

> I know there's a way to put an icon on the desktop to initiate a reboot,
but
> I don't think it would work across a network.  Seems like I've tried
making
> shortcuts to image files across a network and they didn't work, but I
could
> be mistaken.

> My sister wouldn't appreciate it too much if I barge into her bedroom at 3
> in the morning to reboot her computer.

> BTW, I already have TweakUI set up to automatically log into the network
so
> that's not a problem.  Of course, sometimes it doesn't work, but that's a
> whole 'nother problem.

> Thanks for the advice,
> Damaeus

1. Problem with Networking Win XP Pro Host with Win98SE Clients

I have recently installed a fresh copy of Win Xp Pro on
one of my home computers, that previously had Win 98SE on
it with ICS. Everything worked fine then but now, with XP
i can't seem to get the computers networking properly. On
the Win Xp machine i can ping the other computers in the
network, but cannot ping myself??? And the Win98SE
machines can ping each other but not the Win XP machine??
I have run the network wizard, and configured the IPs on
the clients manually 192.168.0.x.

Any suggestions on this weird situation?

2. Personal Web Server, HELP!!! Otherwise I will be fired!!!

3. Win98SE Host to Win xp pro client ics won't work

4. NFS for NT 3.5x

5. ICS Problem: XP Host/Win98SE Client

6. HP 952C

7. Getting pcAnywhere Host 10.5 to run at Reboot on client workstation

8. GPedit

9. How to approach/use an application from a client on a network-host (Host= XP home_ed)

10. XP can not see HOST running WIN98SE

11. reboot.reboot.reboot.reboot.reboot.rebooooooooooo

12. Win98se won't boot/reboot to pure DOS

13. ICS - WinXP to Win98SE Client - SysTray Icon Missing